Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
How do you know if you have a roof leak if you have aluminum cieling/interior? Water seems to get between the inner and outer skin and run down the side possibly down to the floor. Is this a thing? Has this happened to anyone?
ddog2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.lynn2012 View Post
How do you know if you have a roof leak if you have aluminum cieling/interior? Water seems to get between the inner and outer skin and run down the side possibly down to the floor. Is this a thing? Has this happened to anyone?
Yes, this is the way it is...You just have to search and find out where it is leaking.
Good news is that on an Airstream, you do not get the interior and exterior wall rot and delamination you get with wood and bonded walls of other constructions..
They get rotten floors as well!
For me, this was pivotal in my choice...
It all rots, or only the floor...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
As necessary as it is, I am not liking this thread. It points to more things that I am pretending to ignore.
I'm getting ready to seal up the trailer with 3M 540. It should arrive today. We're going out camping tomorrow and the forcast calls for some rain....of course.
We have owned this TT since Jan. 2012. I'm doubtful that the PO sealed the exterior in the 5-6 years he owned it. There are definitely large areas where there is no sealant around windows, the door, and seam laps. I notice more and more of it coming off each time I wash it, so I knew this job was coming. I've never even looked at the roof.
So probably next week, we will begin stripping away what is left of the old sealant and cleaning the surface in a covered area. (Even though its been rained on for 35 years).
As always, I have a few more questions,

1. How strong is the roof?
I weigh 130 lbs. I don't think I should send my 250 lb. hubby up there. But this seems like an appropriate time to remove the 70's antenna from the roof. I imagine you don't want to stand up and walk around up there.

2. Andy, besides the sewer vent, what other gaskets or seals are need for the roof? I'm assuming none have been replaced ever.

3. I'm planning to use a polyurethane sealant. 3M 540. Am I correct to plan to reseal the trailer every other year?

I'm not sure of the floor condition under the bathroom. I'm somewhat enjoying my ignorance about it although I know I'll have to look someday (preferably before I fall through while the shampoo is in my eyes )
I have seen the floor at the rear under my queen bed, it is dry, no water stains. I know of one small leak behind the gaucho, a little water stain, but the floor is solid. The PO did install pergo flooring about 5 years ago, so I'm hoping he didn't cover something worse that needs attention.

Pray for me.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I am "about" 235lb if I lean to the right when on the scales....
On the motorhome, I have had no issues. But judging by the dents up there, others have!

Only walk on the rivet lines that go crossways on the roof, not length ways.
Maybe a trailer peep would be better to listen too...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I weigh 130 lbs. I don't think I should send my 250 lb. hubby up there. But this seems like an appropriate time to remove the 70's antenna from the roof. I imagine you don't want to stand up and walk around up there.

Stay on the rivet lines and off the end caps and you'll be good. A good pair of of "sneakers", I have a pair of Sperry deck shoes, for grip.

Inspect every year and seal as needed. If it looks iffy....do it.

I have used the 3M Extreme Sealant Tape to seal the Skylight and Fantastic vent flange.
Two Seasons still like new.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

I have just discovered a skylight leak. It appears to have been leaking for a while (3 months). I have a CCD international with the aluminum interior. It seems that water can leak in and get not show through the skylight trim piece until it 'fills up' and then the water can get between the inner skin and outer skin. Has this happened to anyone? What do you do about it. It makes it hard to discover a leak sometimes.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Yes, this is the way it is...You just have to search and find out where it is leaking.
Good news is that on an Airstream, you do not get the interior and exterior wall rot and delamination you get with wood and bonded walls of other constructions..
They get rotten floors as well!
For me, this was pivotal in my choice...
It all rots, or only the floor...
Any tips on how to search for leaks? I'm noticing rusty screws and rust on the plastic parts of the trim for the skylight and one of my fantastic vent fans. I removed, cleaned and replaced or reinstalled the skylight and fan and now it is leak free. I'm worried about all the other thru-holes on my roof now. I guess you just need to seal everything all the time?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
MY 1966 has a vent cap over the pipe near the kitchen. It runs down into the locker over the twin bed. I sealed around it with Vulkem but I still get a drip through the hole into the locker and down the ash wood wall. Of course the wall is ruined after years of leaking. The last seal made it leak less, but it still is leaking some.
I was told to put a mushroom type cap over the vent pipe opening. Will that solve it?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.lynn2012 View Post
I have just discovered a skylight leak. It appears to have been leaking for a while (3 months). I have a CCD international with the aluminum interior. It seems that water can leak in and get not show through the skylight trim piece until it 'fills up' and then the water can get between the inner skin and outer skin. Has this happened to anyone? What do you do about it. It makes it hard to discover a leak sometimes.
Replace the skylight......do not use the OEM from Airstream.

I got our replacement from Inland RV, much better quality.
Others like the Maxim unit.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I weigh 130 lbs. I don't think I should send my 250 lb. hubby up there
I wish I weighed as little as 250#s. I have not fallen through yet
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Agree with Mrs. Mod

I have to say I agree fully with Mrs. Mod "As necessary as it is, I am not liking this thread. It points to more things that I am pretending to ignore."
However, this could be one of the most beneficial threads ever posted. I cut and pasted all of the posts and photos to a word doc for future reference. Many thanks to all who posted, especially Andy!
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I bought 2 of the polished vents, and 2 vent kits from Andy, installed them in place of the cheap plastic ones Airstream put on the Argosy. No leaks after our first rain. But, stil a leak by the entrance door window. Bah humbug.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
caldwell , Texas
I made hats for my pipes out of aluminum flashing. it works to a Tee. no water gets in
smtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtex View Post
I made hats for my pipes out of aluminum flashing. it works to a Tee. no water gets in
The hat may prevent a water leak, but that does not correct the aged out gaskets.

Those gaskets eack cost a little more than 2 bottles of beer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote