Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2003, 03:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Fantastic Fan question

Hello everybody!

I don't have an Airstream yet, but I plan to buy one sometime in the future. In the meantime, I visit here every day or two, and have also gone to the factory twice to learn as much about Airstreams, good and bad, before buying one.

Here's my question: I'm wondering why one would want to have Fantastic Fans over each roof vent?

I presently have an SOB travel trailer with 3 roof vents (only the bathroom vent has an exhaust fan) and all 3 have Maxx-Air ("smoke" colored, clear plastic covers over them). I can leave my roof vents open all the time, except when I'm running the air conditioner or furnace, of course), and the Maxx-Air covers provide plenty of ventillation, they keep out rain (as well as most dirt and dust), and keep the inside of my trailer fresh when it is in storage.

There must be good reasons why Airstreams have fantastic fans. What are they?

Thanks for your help. (I have some other questions too, that I'll be asking after this one.

John
Old 09-11-2003, 04:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
The primary reason to have a roof fan is to move the air. I have a 19' Airstream which I can achieve a good airflow and circulation in my unit by running the fan and keeping one window open. I typically set the fan to "out" which pulls air from the outdoors through the open window to the inside of my Airstream and then out the fan. So, if it is cooler outside than inside, I can quickly "equalize" the air temps. If it is warm outside and inside, this technique creates a breeze which is slightly cooling albeit warm.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you look at the CFM (Cubic Feet per Min.) of air flow, the Fantastic Fan will move more air period. The covers are good, but will reduce possible air flow by 60% or so. The Fantastic fans have a rain sensor model that has worked well for me. I leave mine open on a regular basis.

At a rally with limited electric the fans can make the difference between it being bearable and being comfortable.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
John,

I can't comment much on other brand fans but I did request that two Fantastic Fans be added when my Safari was built. In 2001 the fans were not standard equipment. Having two allows me to run them both for greater air flow or run just one. For example its not unusual for me to run the fan in the front of the trailer, while opening the hatch in the rear but leaving the fan at that location off. It makes for a much quieter environment at sleep time.

Same goes for evening when we may be in the front end and watching TV or eating. Back fan on front off with hatch open. Still quite nice no fan noise (not that they are loud but when turned up on high speed they are noticible).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I appreciate the desirability of good air flow and circulation.

I think I get this from my present set-up, but perhaps it is even beter with Fantastic Fans. Maybe Airstreams get hotter inside than my unit (fiberglass exterior), or don't otherwise have good circulation without these fans?

I wonder what you do for circulation though when it is raining outside and they close automatically? Also, I've smelled some musty used Airstreams, and read about this problem that others have commented about on this board. If you store your unit outside, isn't it sometimes impractical leave a vent or window open for circulation?

John
Old 09-11-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I l0ve the fantasic fan in our 16CCD. While dry camping last month it kept the trailer very cool. (We camped in Colo near the stream, so it wasn't terribly hot outside).
The thermostat worked really well, just set the fan speed on number one, and I chose a setting that felt comfortable. It ran only when needed. The rain sensor closed when we had a little rain. I think I'd like to have one of these installed on my car! ;-)
Old 09-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher
Maybe Airstreams get hotter inside than my unit (fiberglass exterior), or don't otherwise have good circulation without these fans?

I wonder what you do for circulation though when it is raining outside and they close automatically? Also, I've smelled some musty used Airstreams, and read about this problem that others have commented about on this board. If you store your unit outside, isn't it sometimes impractical leave a vent or window open for circulation?

John
Quite honestly the reflective properties of aluminum is not the equivalent of white painted metal or fiberglass walls. You do get a greater heat gain. Newer Airstreams have white roofs to help cut down on the heat gain.

I don't have the rain sensors on my fans but you can manually adjust the opening of the cover and still operate the fan. That allows me to still operate them when its raining (although a flat out pouring storm I will close them).

I would assume the mustyness is dependent upon climate, how long the unit is closed up and the state you leave it in. I make sure that all sources of dampness are gone before I close my unit up. That means the refrigerator is defrosted and all forms of water inside it are wiped up and dried.

There are products on the market that can also help "dry out" a trailer that is in storage. These products are sometimes used in basements.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan Question

Greetings John!

Quote:
I'm wondering why one would want to have Fantastic Fans over each roof vent?
I had the original equipment roof vent fans replaced in my '64 Overlander for a number of reasons including:

1.) They have three speed motors which means they are far quieter than my original single speed fans.

2.) The model Fantastic Vents that are installed in my Overlander have thermostatic controls that help to conserve battery power when dry camped or boondocking.

3.) The optional Rain Sensor means that I can leave my trailer for days at a time without having to worry about rain coming in the vents.

4.) Having a pair of the fans means that I can have one set on intake and the other set on exhaust to keep the air moving within the trailer - - this has been especially important at the WBCCI International Rallys in Dayton, OH; Sioux Falls, SD; Bismarck, ND; and Rapid City, SD. They kept the trailer acceptably comfortable in each of the above locations, but it was just a barely passable comfort level in Dayton due to the humidity.

Quote:
Maybe Airstreams get hotter inside than my unit (fiberglass exterior), or don't otherwise have good circulation without these fans?
The ventilation characteristics of Airstreams seem to vary somewhat with floorplan. My Overlander is a center twin with four large operable windows on each side along with the large center front and rear windows that are operable while my Argosy has only one operable window on the curbside and two operable windows on the streetside with the center front and rear windows that are also operable. Either of my Airstream products, however, have better ventilation than the Nomad 19 foot light weight special that I had previous to the Overlander. I can't perceive much difference between the heat gain with my Airstream products in comparison to my form Nomad - - I know that the air conditioners in the Airstream and Argosy are more effective than the one that was in my Nomad.

My main reason for purchasing the Fantastic Vents for my Overlander (they are on my list of must-dos for the 2004 WBCCI International Rally in Lansing, MI for the Argosy) was the need to have a reliable means of insuring adequate air movement when parked at the Rally site during the International Rally - - after trying to sleep for three nights in Dayton's humitidy with no perceptible breeze, there was no question in my mind that I needed something that would insure constant air circulation just to get some rest. The Fantastic Vents have proven to be an excellent solution for the past five seasons.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Well, thanks again for your detailed replies. It looks like everyone of you wouldn't want to do without Fantastic Fans, so I guess that's one of the items I can cross off my list of questions to resolve before making my Airstream "plunge"!

I haven't dry camped much in conditions where I need air conditioning, and I can appreciate those fans are God-sends in those situations - I have a 2000kw Honda Generator, but that isn't nearly big enough to power an air conditioner, so I suppose the Fantastic Fans would be a big help then.

John