Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Interior Door Handle Came Off in Wife's Hand...

She doesn't know her own strength!

The interior door handle face plate had cracked (mechanism has been sticking so the door is hard to close--maybe we've been putting too much pressure on it to close the door).

I suspect that over time this caused the interior door handle to pull out from the bronze piece of metal in the first photo below (I assume the square extension on the handle goes into the square hole on the bronze looking piece).

One day it just came off the door in her hands. I opened everything up and you can see all of that in the second photo below.

1. Do I need a new mechanism, handle, or any other parts? Still locks and opens and closes normally from outside.

2. Can I just insert the handle back into the bronze piece and close everything back up (and replace the cracked face plate)? I tried fitting the square door extension into the bronze looking piece and it wouldn't go--does this have to be forced as with a hammer or something?

Thank you very much!

FYI Our trailer is a 1998 31' Excella in very good condition and I want to keep it that way!

gquake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
sent you a private message
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Wow, looks just like ours, of course. I'm going out to look at it right now. Thanks for the post and the pictures.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Rick,

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner--I didn't see this or a PM. But if you have info or insight your help would be much appreciated. Have been making do b/c I haven't had time to devote to this problem until now.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Finally figured out the PM system and contacted you, Rick. Sorry for the delay--still figuring this interface out. Hope to resolve this soon with your help