Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #1

2007 25' International CCD
Raleigh , North Carolina
Another new member . . . internet on the road?

Just bought my first Airstream. I turned 50 this year and finally admitted I'm a workaholic. No more 12 to 14 hour days at the office for me. My goal is max of 6 hours a day, 4 days a week. Baby steps!!! Fortunately, I can work from anywhere about half of the time. Any suggestions for high speed internet access on the road?
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Welcome,
High speed internet is becoming very popular at RV parks and is usually free but not always. If you positively have to have it at any time, any place, sat is still the answer but expensive. I think Verizon has some options now too for high speed.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Alltel's new EVDO Technology Air Card. We've had it for about two months now and have used it all over the eastern US and have been very satisfied. We have an unlimited use anywhere plan and it costs us $60.00 per month. We have spent 67 nights in our Airstream since June, and have found wifi at the campgrounds is hit and miss or comes with a daily fee. We use our Airstream for business travel, and internet access is a must. What we like about the air card is that we can connect while moving down the road.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sorry, I got so busy running my mouth about the air card, I forgot to welcome you the Forums. We're glad that yuo're here.

Check out the "Florida Get Together" thread. We're having an Airstream rally in the Florida Panhandle on the first weekend in January. Please accept my personal invitation to join us. It is being held at one of the nicest campgrounds anywhere..
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Welcome, this is the place to find all answers Airstream! Now that you are "hooked" we will change you from workaholic to "alumaholic"! A number of folks have discussed this on various forums, if you try the search function on the top blue toolbar you might find other responses. I think many folks go for the Starbucks wifi approach along with libraries and such. If you are trying to slow down the work approach... you will have to slow down a bit if you can't find a connection....

Tell us about your Airstream! We love to hear about folks trailers. Pictures are excellent too! Again, welcome ~ hope to see you on the road!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome gsmith!

Sounds like you and I are headed down the same path.

Now that we have our new Bambi, I am looking into reliable full time internet capabilities. Sounds like Verizons 'Internet in motion' is the way to go which is the technology that Rich Luhr and Rich Charpentier (well known in the Airstream world) use.

I am looking for a full time connection, hopefully that will provide enough bandwidth to use our Vonage VOIP phones. Then I will be a very happy camper!

Some useful resources I have been perusing...

Rich's book 'The Digital RV'...
http://www.lulu.com/content/200359

Rich's Digital RV site...
http://www.digitalrv.net/

Discussion on the Verizon system and the Kyocera KR1...
http://www.digitalrv.net/forum/index...g843;topicseen

Article...
http://www.freshnews.com/news/teleco....html?QUALCOMM

Originally I was considering a satellite system... not so sure now.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Here is another interesting variation of EVDO using 2 permanently mounted antennas on the roof. It is called "Internet in Motion"

http://www.internetinmotion.net/

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi gsmith--I just installed a Verizon Wireless PC 5740 card in my PC, which I am using now. Works great. Just a little slower than the Comcast cable we have been using while here in Minneapolis. Card cost $49.99 ($99.99 less $50.00 mail in rebate), plus $59.99/month for the service (in addition to our regular Verizon cell phone service), which can be put on "park" for $5.00/month, any time you want to go back to cable, or WiFi. Service is avaliable anywhere you get a Verizon signal. We have had a Verizon cell phone during travels over the last 6-years, and are satisfied with the coverage.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #9

2007 25' International CCD
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks for the info!!!

After reviewing the options, I'm going to try one of the wireless cards before I make an investment in the satellite. The WiFi in the campground . . . only one at this point, was awful. By the way, what is the significance of the rivets?

I'm leaving tomorrow for my second trip to Macon, Georgia via Charleston, South Carolina.

Thanks for the invite to Florida. I'll check it out.

I haven't participated in a forum before. Are there rules of etiquette???

gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote