Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
west linn , Oregon
TV recommendation and apple TV?

Hi
We just purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 23D. It has a Samsung UN24H4000BP 24" TV. Since we have Apple TV at home I thought Id look at streaming either from a iPad or just getting a Apple TV to be consistent with home. BUT when called Samsung they said theTV was a 2014 and didn't support Apple TV or mirroring..... So that being said, can anyone recommend at TV that can use the apple TV on? Also, does anyone have experience going slightly bigger say 32"?? TV is in bedroom so concerned about space, depth and weight! Thanks

I have a bunch other questions on boosters, wifi, phone remotely...but that's probably a bunch more research.....

We are trying to do a bit of work while traveling...once we retire we'd just as soon get disconnected!!!

thanks!

Richard
Old 03-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There's an Apple "lightning to HDMI" adapter (get the Apple one, none of the others are fully HDCPI compliant.) Just get a long HDMI cable and you can have the iPad somewhere convenient to manage your streaming, and it doesn't matter whether the TV is "smart" or not, you just need the HDMI input.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I swapped out the TV that came with my FC25 for a Samsung 5 Series TV. Those are great because Apple TV is built in, they support optical out so you can plug in a sound bar, and are 1080P.

On mine, at least, Airstream hacked in a pair of analog out lines so the sound could play through the trailer’s speakers. Not sure on your model. In any event I didn’t want my TV sound coming down from over my head. The sound bar is a vast improvement if you have space for it.

A list of TV’s with Apple TV built in is at https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

How useful Apple TV is will depend on how good a data connection you have. I find we typically download contact when we’re in town with good WiFi and then play it back with direct HDMI connection to my phone in the evening. That’s just because we don’t want to blast through all the data on our data plan.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
You can plug an Apple TV box in to your Samsung tv with a HDMI cable and it will work no problem.

I suspect there was confusion between the Apple TV box and the subscription service.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Gsmblue is correct - you can use another HDMI input on the Samsung TV. I did this last year on our 2019 Globetrotter. I used a Hug-a-plug to split the single receptacle and a piece of plywood to mount the Apple TV bracket.

Also, there are several threads on replacing the front 28” with a 32”. It may stick out a little into the isle but not terrible. Here’s one we got at Christmas time and plan to install.

One thing you need to know is your current 28” has RCA audio jacks added by Airstream to send the audio back to the radio / overhead speakers. If you change to the 32” and want to play the TV’s output on the overhead speakers you’ll need a $10 digital to analog audio converter like this one from Amazon .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6489FB61-AA3D-4109-A5A6-32DC6BD2C7A9.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	362908   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6D1C26A-6FAB-4C1C-B026-A4E050E5961D.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	362909  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
We replaced out Samsung with an LG 26" smart tv similar to you are home units. We can stream amazon prime, Netflix's, youtube, etc. with our AT&T wifi system installed by AS. It works great. We have apple tv at home and thinking about traveling with it. Just plug into hdmi cable.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
We use a Roku Stick+. I have several of these, one for each TV at home and cottage and our Airstream. They are inexpensive and work well, bringing in every TV service I want including u-Tube TV, Disney, Amazon, NetFlix, etc.. Here is the Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the Roku stick because it plugs into one of the HDMI ports on the TV and gives me full access to everything. It also provides remote control of the TV including volume which is handy, eliminating the need for 2 remotes. I used the Amazon FireStick previously but I was unable to get u-Tube TV with the models we had. I found the Roku to be a simple approach that works nearly everywhere. And since it's small and simple to install, we take ours when we travel without the trailer and then we can use it in hotels as well.

I do not have any stock in Roku - I just like their product.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
We’ve done all of the above. The best solution IMHO is the Apple (brand) HDMI to LIGHTENING “dongle”.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Apple TV/ROKU

Richard,

This is an easy "work around" and you do not need a new TV.

The Apple TV box/Roku Box connects via HDMI from the box to the TV either Source 1 or Source 2.

The Apple TV box/Roku then connects either by cable or wifi directly to your wifi source

Plug the Apple TV/Roku into the electrical socket, steer you TV to the proper Source Input, and you are in business.

The Apple TV box will shake hands with iPad or iPhone and will stream video/audio directly to the box then to the TV. Alternatively, you can get an adapter connecting your iPhone or iPad directly to HDMI. If you take this approach, be sure you get one that accomodates both the HDMI output as well as "power in" or you will soon deplete your iPad/iPhone.

Lastly, be mindful of your data streaming. Streaming video over a metered channel, such as your wireless carrier quickly becomes very expensive....like hundreds of dollars. You really want a fixed (free) wifi channel. My approach is to download Netflix and Amazon video while at home into my iPad, and then just stream from that device (no wifi needed) into my Apple TV/Roku. If I need wifi for breaking news or weather, you can then steer it to your phone/iPad/wifi hotspot for a short duration. Although, I find I get everything I need from Sirius Radio.

OK...hope this is helpful. Be well.

PirateChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoore7167 View Post
Hi
We just purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 23D. It has a Samsung UN24H4000BP 24" TV. Since we have Apple TV at home I thought Id look at streaming either from a iPad or just getting a Apple TV to be consistent with home. BUT when called Samsung they said theTV was a 2014 and didn't support Apple TV or mirroring..... So that being said, can anyone recommend at TV that can use the apple TV on? Also, does anyone have experience going slightly bigger say 32"?? TV is in bedroom so concerned about space, depth and weight! Thanks

I have a bunch other questions on boosters, wifi, phone remotely...but that's probably a bunch more research.....

We are trying to do a bit of work while traveling...once we retire we'd just as soon get disconnected!!!

thanks!

Richard
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
west linn , Oregon
thanks All for your help! Great info and will figure out which one works best for us! I love this airstream site...sooo much helpful info!!!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
You can plug an Apple TV box in to your Samsung tv with a HDMI cable and it will work no problem.

I suspect there was confusion between the Apple TV box and the subscription service.
Yes, this is almost certainly the problem. There's Apple TV the hardware box, Apple TV the app (which runs on Apple TV the hardware box as well as iOS and macOS hardware) and Apple TV+ the streaming service (which, runs inside the Apple TV app which runs on Apple TV the hardware box as well as iOS and macOS hardware).

Confused? No doubt. Even if someone speaking knows which one they are referring to, the person(s) they are speaking to may not.

No, the Samsung TV will not directly support Apple TV the app or streaming service.

Yes, the Samsung TV will support connecting the Apple TV hardware box to it over HDMI, just like it will support any other HDMI input. The Apple TV hardware box will support the app and streaming service, as well as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. I would think the main issue would be having enough reliable bandwidth to reliably stream content.

And, yes, if you have an Apple TV hardware box, you can use AirPlay from your iPad/iPhone to mirror content to the Apple TV hardware box.
AnonPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
You might also look into Amazon Firestick. It is very simple to use and come loaded
with many apps already. Netflix, Roku, Prime and many more.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
We have the 2019 FC26RTB, we changed out our 24" Samsung that was in the bedroom to a 32" Samsung and it fits nicely on the mount and locks into place.
Sandlapper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I have been working through similar problems. I have both Roku and Chromecast, but we find ourselves in campgrounds that do not have a great Verizon signal. I thought the solution would be the Apple Lightning to Digital AV adapter. I downloaded content from Disney+ that plays fine on the iPad, but as soon as I plug in the adapter I get an error message. The adapter works fine mirroring the iPad when not playing the movie. I am going to download a movie from Netflix to see if it will work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A176632B-C0E9-4181-A583-00F51326BB34.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	362948  
Creola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creola View Post
I have been working through similar problems. I have both Roku and Chromecast, but we find ourselves in campgrounds that do not have a great Verizon signal. I thought the solution would be the Apple Lightning to Digital AV adapter. I downloaded content from Disney+ that plays fine on the iPad, but as soon as I plug in the adapter I get an error message. The adapter works fine mirroring the iPad when not playing the movie. I am going to download a movie from Netflix to see if it will work.
My guess is that you ended up with a counterfeit adapter. I tried one (not Apple-branded) that claimed to work, and that's how it would behave. It would mirror the iPad screen but wouldn't play any secure content, which suggested to me that it wasn't HDCPI-compliant. I have never had anything refuse to play via the genuine Apple adapter (uverse, DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime Video, etc.) but I have not tried Disney+.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creola View Post
I ran into a similar issue with content downloaded to my iPad from Comcast. They limited the playback to the device-only, preventing AirPlay to the Apple TV.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoore7167 View Post
Hi

thanks!

Richard

Richard, We are using the Airstream Connect (AT&T) installed by Airstream or the dealer without an issue for WIFI Boost, since most campgrounds offer minimal internet. We are able to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Hallmark, etc. without interruption. We use DirecTV and King Q4800 (Amazon) for satellite TV. We installed a HDMI Matrix Switch (Monoprice.com) that allows total independence of the LVR and BDR TVs - ie. Netflix in BDR and Directv in LVR etc. We can also mirror our iPad, iPhone, Laptop, watch movies from the iTunes Store or any that are stored on the device. None of this is difficult to install.

This configuration provides the total entertainment experience for the Airstream:

Components top to bottom:
1. Directv Satellite Receiver
2. Samsung DVD/BluRay Player
3. King Satellite Antenna Controller/Alarm
4. Polk Audio for AM/FM Radio/Sirius Satellite Radio
5. NEW Blackbird 4X2 Matrix Switch (Monoprice.com $73 +$15 tax and shipping)
6. (Left) Apple TV (Computer stored movies, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, etc.) via
Airstream Connect.

Note: These components are powered by the 4 power outlets behind the entertainment locker, eliminating any exposed cords. (or use a power strip)

Bonus: Using the Harmony Hub & Airstream Connect, we. have eliminated all but the Harmony Remote Control and the Apple TV Remote.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Entertainment.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	362974  
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Yorba Linda , California
This is what I do! Works great!
CarrieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Antelope , California
Buy a fire stick for the trailer tv. We have Apple TV at home but use the fire stick in the trailer. Works fine. And far less expensive
Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
Buy a fire stick for the trailer tv. We have Apple TV at home but use the fire stick in the trailer. Works fine. And far less expensive
And most people haven't found out yet, that the Firestick now has the AppleTV App - you have to search for it in the Firestick Apps. Once you add AppleTV onto the Firestick, it will behave exactly like your AppleTV. You'll have to add your Apple ID once and all your shows and movies will appear. It's a cheaper way to go.
danton is offline   Reply With Quote