Originally Posted by rodsterinfl
Just for clarfication. PLEX is not cloud-based or at least it doesn't' have to be (have to be careful as things can change). One option is to use a mac mini and a NAS. The PLEX software then acts as an interface for the movies/music and an organizational scheme.
This is kind of what I do, but the system seems to evolve as technology does.
1. We really never watch DVD/Blu-Rays
2. We mounted an old Mac Mini on the wall below the TV - movies/TV shows are stored on it and it's outputted to the TV via HDMI
3. An old router is plugged in to create a trailer "network"
4. When watching TV in the bedroom, I connect my iPad to the TV (mounts on the wall and connects via HDMI) and then use Plex to stream from the Mac to the iPad. I imagine we'll probably move an AppleTV from the house to the AS when we replace it with a newer one
5. Really don't like the built-in speakers in the AS so have a small soundbar that sits on top of the main TV for sound. It connects via optical and bluetooth so can stream from iPad or iPhone. We have subscriptions to Sirius, Pandora, Amazon Music, etc so that also allows for music streaming.
Lastly, iPhone is on AT&T which allows for unlimited streaming of Direct TV Now and Fullscreen. We use that when we can't pick up an OTA signal, which is what we did this past weekend.
I'm sure there's a much more elegant solution, but this seems to work for us - so far!