Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Wanette , Oklahoma
Battery Question

I have a 1979 airstream my question is can I put 2 12 volt batteries in the 2 batteries cOmpaents. 6 volt golf cart batteries are too big for The compartments i have been hooking up only one at a time and disconnecting it to hook up the the other one when one got low
SteveNancyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNancyF View Post
I have a 1979 airstream my question is can I put 2 12 volt batteries in the 2 batteries cOmpaents. 6 volt golf cart batteries are too big for The compartments i have been hooking up only one at a time and disconnecting it to hook up the the other one when one got low
It depends on the size of the battery box but you can hook up 2 12volt batteries in parallel. There are different group sizes; 24, 27, 31, etc. Measure your battery box then you can shop for batteries in the group size that will fit.

If the 6 volt are too big and you're only putting one in there at a time, how are you running lights etc. on just 6 volts??? Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you've got 2 12 volt but they are too big to fit into the box. Check the battery labels, see if it tells you what group they are. Also, they should be deep cycle, not ignition/starting batteries.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Wanette , Oklahoma
Sorry I was unclear have 2 12volt batteries that fit. I just didn't know if I could hook both at same time. Wondered if it would overload the system so I just hook one up at a time. They are marine deep cycle not the best type of deep cycle i know but I'm rural Oklahoma what the heck. Thank you for your reply as you answered that I could hook them both up at once. Enjoy your day.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Factory battery compartments? Factory battery wiring?

Both battery positives tie together and both negatives tie together.
This keeps you at 12 volts but twice the capacity as one by it self.

Clear as mud?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Are your battery boxes the type that are in the body of the trailer (one on each side) rather than the battery box in the tongue a-frame?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry I was unclear have 2 12volt batteries that fit. I just didn't know if I could hook both at same time. Wondered if it would overload the system so I just hook one up at a time. They are marine deep cycle not the best type of deep cycle i know but I'm rural Oklahoma what the heck. Thank you for your reply as you answered that I could hook them both up at once. Enjoy your day.
12 volt batteries in parallel (positives together, negatives together) will be 12 volt. So you can put both batteries in the battery box, connect the positives together and the negatives together. NOTE: If one battery is weaker it will drag down the other battery's power. Batteries work best when are the same brand, size and age.

Vented lead-acid batteries must be kept outside because they vent hydrogen gas. AGM sealed batteries can be used inside, they do not vent.
Attached Images

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Wanette , Oklahoma
thank you for the reply i have the 2 batterie compartment type. this system allows one to automatically hook up properly the negative and positive. i unhook both batteries when trailer is not in use as the inverter will continue to charge the batteries and boil off the electrolyte. oklahoma summers do not help a lot. i just check stuff regularly to avoid problems. anyway thank everyone for thier concerned help. got to go split some wood for next years heat
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I'm still splitting wood for this year's heat.

Here is a link with instructions for connecting battery. http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
""Finally, if you only have 2 batteries, then simply linking them together and taking the main feeds from diagonally opposite corners cannot be improved upon.
Once the number of batteries gets to 3 or more then these other methods have to be looked at.""
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
12 volt batteries in parallel (positives together, negatives together) will be 12 volt. So you can put both batteries in the battery box, connect the positives together and the negatives together. NOTE: If one battery is weaker it will drag down the other battery's power. Batteries work best when are the same brand, size and age.

Vented lead-acid batteries must be kept outside because they vent hydrogen gas. AGM sealed batteries can be used inside, they do not vent.
Just a clarification to the wiring diagram you posted. I know you're focused on the parallel wiring part, but they should actually be wired in the following manner to ensure balanced draw and charging. It's a subtle but critical difference to ensure longevity of the batts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryparallel.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	334526
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Wanette , Oklahoma
I deeply appreciate all the advice, especially the wiring diagrams. I know what to do now. Happy travels to all.