Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
Batteries dead after overcharging?

I've been on shore power for 3 days. I noticed the battery voltage on the small panel above the sink indicating battery voltage was 17 volts. Normally it looks like 13 volts on shore power. I went away for a day now it appears that the batteries are dead. The 110V circuits work fine but anything 12V related doesnt work.
I just purchased these batteries at Sams Club about four months ago. I plan to take them to get tested and if bad, replaced.
My question is about the converter. Is there a way to know if the converter charged the batteries incorrectly or is it possible that one of the batteries is bad and it allowed for discharge of the other battery? Any help appreciated. thanks
Viperdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It's not a goo sign the voltage was reading 17V the converter should never do that so the converter is suspect off the bat. Flip the breaker on it and let's deal with the batteries first.

High voltage can damage the batteries, primarily by consuming the water because once the battery is fully charged, the energy will be used to convert water to hydrogen and oxygen and it will vent away. So if your batteries are not sealed, check the water level first. If the level is low for too long or mostly if the current was too high, the batteries can get cooked and damaged by internally shorting out.

If you have an external charger, test the voltage of the batteries directly from the posts and if it is lower than 12.5 put the charger on them. If you don't have a charger, but you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage and then you can hook up the vehicle and charge the batteries from the vehicle partially. Let's do this before taking them back.

Once we get the batteries with some voltage in them we can see if they are damaged.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
17V will kill the battery. If it's a flooded lead acid battery you could try to add water back. If AGM or Gel it's probably toast.

Do you happen to have a solar panel without a charge controller hooked up to the system? 17V is about the voltage of an unregulated solar panel.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
installed new batteries, volt reading is 18v

Okay, so I removed shore power, put new batteries in, and the voltage reading is 18v on the small panel. I tripped the converter breaker off. Still reading 18v I'm pretty sure I have the batteries correctly wired in paralell. No solar panels installed. I put the store/use switch in store to cut out the batteries for now.
Its raining now but I will but a charger on the batteries to see what voltage I am getting after the rain stops.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
Brian, thanks for your reply. Where is your converter located on your A/S? I have a 2018 front bedroom 25ft Flying Cloud. I'm not sure where mine is located.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your owner's manual should help with familiarizing yourself with everything, on the floor plan for your model, for starters.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If it is a twin I cannot help but on the FBQ it is at your feet and you face the side of the bed. The metal panel opens up and there it is.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
On the twin it is on the floor just under and in back of the power center. Access it by removing the distribution center front panel (watch out for the 110 power) or lift off the mattress and remove the plywood cover.

Sounds like the voltage meter is wacked. Now that the batteries are resting, check the panel again. Still reading more than 12.9? It's wrong. That is the SeaLevel... I will go have a look to see if you can calibrate that.

Let's confirm the voltage reading first then look at the converter.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
New thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...nk-219474.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote