Old 05-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington
<2mo Old - Dead Batteries Dead Electricals

Took delivery of 2018 GT in mid April. Camped first weekend for 3 days connected to 30A. No significant problems. Furnace, water heater worked. Tried testing the AC but we were still trying to figure out the built-in surger protector and wanted to camp with 50A to really test it. So we parked it for a month and I tripled checked everything off and switched to Store.

Back to check on it and batteries dead - volt meter says 3v. Nothing lights up, not even the light for the Store/Use switch.

Bought a generator to see if we can get unit power while in storage and charge batteries. Nope. Generator is 2500W and it says it’s outputting 120v, but still no lights on Store/Use switch, no lights, etc. I’m not even hearing the noise the surge protector (built-in) makes when it closes switch after 128 seconds of checking the power... so maybe the surge protector doesn’t like the generator floating neutral?

Obviously the batteries need replacing and I have appt in a week at my dealership to do that. But why can’t I get power into unit with generator? I do have a weekend trip to 50A site before the dealership appt. Should I cancel it? If batteries are this dead will it not accept shore power either? Doesn’t make sense.

Ideas?

GT2018WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
&lt;2mo Old - Dead Batteries Dead Electricals

Floating neutral is the primary issue with the surge protector.

Look in the forums on how to fix that with a jumper plug with neutral and ground tied together. If you are not sure about electrical work, get professional help.

For the batteries, you could try pulling them out and charging them separately. Or try a good battery charger connected to the generator. Plan to run it for many hours, unfortunately. It’s a slow process.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Have you tried putting a trickle charger on it over nite to see if they will take a charge?
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hmm . . . that's annoying! You should be fine on shore power no matter the state of your batteries. When we bought our first AS the batteries were shot and we didn't know it. Ran fine on 30A shore. Would not hold a charge, even when removed and placed on a Battery Tender triple trickle unit. We replaced them with Lifeline AGMs which ran fine for 6 years, and probably would be OK now BUT Linda and I will be away from home in the outback of Alaska until October 2018. I bought a new pair of Lifelines just to be sure. If you new unit has solar, or if your contemplating solar, AGM is the way to go I'm told.
2013 GMC Denali 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax - Sierra Blanca
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington
Grounding Plug was Fix

$10 at Ace Hardware, YouTube video, and I have power from generator.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is the surge protector built in? Try running the generator without the surge protector if it is a portable surge protector. I bought a plug that bonds the ground on the generator. But my portable surge protector just said do not use it with the generator so I don't. And if you get power to it the converter should run the Airstream with out batteries. So I would not cancel the trip.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington
Generator working, just need batteries replaced now.

The difficulty with the internal surge protector is that they mounted it where I cannot see any of the warning lights. I need to get the remote display installed for it.

Slowly building up tools, including multi-meter, three-prong tester, etc.

AS should warn newbies like me if we’re opting for internal surge protector 1) always get the remote display installed, 2) new portable generators won’t play nice with surge protectors (without the hack).
Old 05-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
I hear you on the AS, as part of the 2 hr walkthrough on our new trailer, they should have told us about the floating ground issue if using generators, at least on the Honda and Yamaha inverter ones. Also more info regarding the time delay when plugging into shore power.

So we headed out with our new AS, and our first boon docking with the new Yamaha. Batteries were low, so I gleefully fired up the generator and realized we had no 120v outlets, etc.. What am I doing wrong? I emailed a friend who told me later about the ground/neutral plug solution, and I made one once home and that did the trick.

The other issue on our first trips plugging into shore power and expecting immediate 120V, and wondering what is wrong. Then, the big thunk after a couple minutes -"What was THAT?" Eventually, we understood that the surge protector studies the shore power and in a couple minutes, the big acceptance thunk, and we thus have 120v power! Wish we knew about that ahead of time.

During our first year (2016), our factory installed Interstate batteries were shot, as I pulled them from the AS to trickle charge them, and use the hygrometer noting cells weren't responding. Seems to be common. I took the batteries into a shop who sells amongst other things, Interstate batteries and left them overnight to test them. Went back the next day, he said the batteries failed and simply gave me two new replacements! YAY! Still using those.

Hope you get an easy solution to your other woes.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that there is no full battery disconnect in any of these RV's. Storage for a month is pretty much guaranteed to take the batteries to zero. Things like the propane detector stay on the battery no matter what. The current they draw is small, but it is not zero. Normally it's enough to nuke the batteries in less than two weeks. If you get the batteries replaced and store the vehicle the same way .... same result with the batteries.

Note - just because the batteries are at 3V does not mean they are shot. Once they get below about 6V, the converter / charger probably will disconnect from them. You will need some sort of outboard charger to get them back up to a rational voltage.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
When your SP surges-out...👎

Does your 'built-in SP" have a by-pass system to continue using the AS while it's out for service.
Portable can be returned for a re-boot with less hassle.

Bob
🇱🇷

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote