Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
My Dad, who camped A LOT, told my wife putting rope lights under the RV would keep the snakes away. Now I have no choice but to put them under our RV. Let me add one thing; Daddy never had a car that got less than 30 mpg, it never rained at his house less than 3 inches and his S.S. checks were always over $5,000.oo per month. hahahahahahahaa

BTW, I have one strain and turn them off as soon as our last "puppy walk". AND I love the smell of a good campfire.
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
This thread is going the same way of many others here lately. Likely to get shut down in a few more pages.

My electric car is more eco friendly than your truck.
My diesel truck doesn't idle for long.
My generator isn't very loud.
My dogs never bark.
My dogs never off leash.
My firewood doesn't stink.
My trailer lights don't bother anyone.
My gray water doesn't hurt the ecology.
My boondocking is low impact.
My kids never screaming unnecessarily.
My kids never run through others campgrounds.
The rules don't forbid it so that implies it's legal or allowed.
Don't impose on me.
We can all decide on our own.
If you don't like it stay home.
If you don't like what they say insult them.

Anytime you add people to the equation they bring people problems. Lovely and annoying diversity of opinions and assumptions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Back when I was supervising contractors, I concurred with an electrician’s suggestion that installing outdoor lighting fixtures on an eighty foot tower without the hoods would be more cost effective and provide for better lighting.
The next day, the boss led me out to the job site and asked, “What’s with these bare light fixtures?” I explained, and he pointed at a neighborhood about a quarter mile away. “They care. They don’t want to look at the glare all night. They’ll be calling the city on us. Have the light hoods installed right away.” You can bet I did.
For the apparent majority of us who don’t go camping to stare at city lights all night or choke on someone else’s pathetic attempts at fire building or listen to a miserable, neglected dog, the best recourse is to complain to the management. Loudly. Consistently. Vociferously. It’s the campground manager’s job to establish acceptable behavior, communicate it, and enforce it. Otherwise it will always be a contest between those with “rights” and those who feel “violated”, with the end result being too many disgruntled campers.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
...Anytime you add people to the equation they bring people problems. ...

To me the lights are the secondary issue.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Though it's never happened to me, I hear and respect concerns about rats chewing through wires and causing thousands in damage.

Yet here's a video of a test made with real rats and mice that appeared unconcerned about the crossing the rope light.

https://youtu.be/EVN9JXUJXdY

Still, stringing some rope lights on top of a trucks engine with the hood most the way down should strike a reasonable compromise between light pollution and vehicle protection.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Who are you to decide what for others is obnoxious? Camping is attracting a lot of folks who don't share your appreciation of nature, and our society has been teaching us for better than 50 years that diversity of thought, customs, behaviors and style is a plus. Welcome to the world of social diversity, and places like California seem to be leading the way. Enjoy!
Can't get much more self absorbed than that. What is obnoxious is imposing yourself on others. Lights and noise may be part of your camping experience, but by letting them leak into the domain of others, you're imposing, plain and simple.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #47
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
In the desert it gets pretty chilly at night, when you park a nice warm truck in the evening the pack rats are attracted tol the heat of the engine and figure they will build their nest there. Nice and warm and plenty of soy based wire insulation, what more could a hard working pack rat desire for his family? Opening the hood and putting lights underneath certainly helps keep them away. One other thing to note, where there are pack rats there are snakes, although not so active when it's cold.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lot of Rope Light Under RV's While Camping All Night

Really, the bottom line on all of this is something I learned forever ago:

Your rights end where someone else’s begin.

Keep that in mind and life is a lot easier.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
It is apparent some people still believe they do not need think of anyone else except themselves. They do not need to be considerate or "be kind" unless there is a rule. This is only part of what has deteriorated our Country.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Brentwood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
In the desert it gets pretty chilly at night, when you park a nice warm truck in the evening the pack rats are attracted tol the heat of the engine and figure they will build their nest there. Nice and warm and plenty of soy based wire insulation, what more could a hard working pack rat desire for his family? Opening the hood and putting lights underneath certainly helps keep them away. One other thing to note, where there are pack rats there are snakes, although not so active when it's cold.
Curious - what type / brand of light with motion detection is being used
2023 Grand Cherokee Overland 4xe
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by gln826 View Post
Can't get much more self absorbed than that. What is obnoxious is imposing yourself on others. Lights and noise may be part of your camping experience, but by letting them leak into the domain of others, you're imposing, plain and simple.
The obvious sarcasm you addressed, was posted in the #3 post position ,( yours is #59).
Due to location of the OP, and the location pointed out at end of post #3, I thought I would point that out.
The chum line from post #3 has provided additional humor, all through the thread.
Bait, as it were...
Old 02-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Luckily it's a long road and we are a lot further along than most of y'all....It's unlikely 'yer woke choice of 'lighting' will ever stain our consciousness.
BTW...I'm the one who locked your screaming child in the outhouse.

Why we love our Adirondack NYSDEC Campground, anything that scares the Loons away at night is not allowed. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Out of curiosity, would red lights keep the pack rats at bay? If so, this would have less of an effect on night vision.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
I guess you failed to see the sarcasm. Fortunately the woke crowd seems to be discovering their diversity arguments are a two way street. Perhaps someday manners and respect will be a part of our society again.
We can always hope. I’m not a fan of the overdone bright lights but I won’t let it ruin an otherwise terrific camping trip.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I've made my point and am happy with it. Many campsites post their rental contracts and rules, including lights at night online. Some specifically prohibit lights, some specifically allow them. Others allow them by allowing a host of things not mentioned, other reserve the right to disallow anything that they find distracting. Take a look if you like.
Yep...if it's on paper it's always rite.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #56
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Most people just use an automotive drop light, some rope light, or those cheap Harbor Freight motion lights. Some say a few chlorine tablets work too.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Under body lights do NOTHING to dissuade pack rats. Sorry.
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaroadagin View Post
Under body lights do NOTHING to dissuade pack rats. Sorry.
That's very true, no way would I leave her behind.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #59
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Im curious as we don't have pack rats around here, but my airstream is sealed up with the belly pan.
Ive made sure that I have no critter holes, by double checking and blocking anything that may be a potential issue.
Dont most or all airstreams have belly pans??
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #60
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
Im curious as we don't have pack rats around here, but my airstream is sealed up with the belly pan.
Ive made sure that I have no critter holes, by double checking and blocking anything that may be a potential issue.
Dont most or all airstreams have belly pans??
Our area is plagued by them. These rodents can do serious damage to water and electrical systems in trailers and cars. Blinking lights are the most effective tool is keeping them away. We also use snap traps around the exterior of the house, but the dozens that we eliminate hardly puts a dent in the population.

As far as rat and mouse proofing, they can squeeze their way through very small openings. A mouse can pass through a 1/4" hole and a fully grown Pack Rat can make it through a 3/4" hole.

There are also wires that are exposed such as the power cord, brake magnets and power jack. Rats love wires!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote