Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
That's very true, no way would I leave her behind.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-09-2021, 11:38 PM   #62
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I dont have a single hole under mine and I recheck ever year. We do have mice and rats around here........believe it or not I had cockroaches get into a cylinder on my Harley a few years ago while it was stored for the summer while i was north...... destroyed the cylinder partying all summer !!!! cylinder was filled with eggs ...that cost me a few bucks!! had to replace the cylinder etc .....now I stuff my pipes!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:23 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
I dont have a single hole under mine and I recheck ever year. We do have mice and rats around here........believe it or not I had cockroaches get into a cylinder on my Harley a few years ago while it was stored for the summer while i was north...... destroyed the cylinder partying all summer !!!! cylinder was filled with eggs ...that cost me a few bucks!! had to replace the cylinder etc .....now I stuff my pipes!
Roaches in your Harley's engine — that's the craziest thing!

Who'd have thought they could get in there ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:26 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My neighbors love my rope lights and the open frame generator I run all night to power them!
I have to agree! Oh and the campfire all I can say is bigger is better. There is nothing light the scent of scrap 2x4s to say nature.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Agree with the disdain for light shows - and sites that look like blight with all the crap on and around them. It’s not just class As or new campers. It’s inconsiderate non “campers”. I don’t have a problem with the string around the bottom but I do disagree with lights on all night. Same with bright porch lights that light everything up and stay on all night. For heavens sake if you’re that fearful buy a security system.
We live in a wonderful neighborhood with no street lights. A new family moved in and immediately wanted to talk about putting street lights in. Ah, no, that’s why many of us live here.
Light pollution is a real thing and those who want to look like a circus are inconsiderate.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
las vegas , Nevada
Camping outside of Tucson last month I wondered why most campers had propped open the hood on their truck. Turns out it’s an effective deterrent against pack rats. I didn’t, at first, but then discovered pack rats in my engine compartment after 2 nights. Opening the hood solved the problem.

Camping in Patagonia Lake SP I had my hood closed and during the daytime I witnessed a skunk climb up into my engine compartment. Had one heckuva time getting him out of there. When I mentioned this to a ranger she replied that rope lights don’t work on skunks but keeping your hood open does.
rhumbliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #67

1970 27' Overlander
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Pac rats can do thousands of dollars of damage chewing electrical lines in campers and trucks.
The lights keep them away.
Unless you’ve known someone that’s had that damage done and being stranded you may not ever understand.
YellowCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDR928 View Post
Amen! Some will be WISHING they had done this after rodents eat their wiring and invade their TVs!!
10k damage to a Porsche Macan GTS and I will never put lights out while camping. EVER. It is my #1 pet peeve on camping at parks. Let me light up my entire campground cause I am afraid of critters. If you are afraid of critters, than don't go camping.

Lights do not work, strobe lights do not work, ultrasound does not work, obnoxious smells do not work (irish spring, rodent deterrent, pack rat deterrent, etc). I have tried pretty much everything and the only thing that stops them is not being in the area where they are at. Go out and check your engine each morning and clean it/bleach it because once they have smell tracked you are tagged.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
Camp lighting

How about moth balls, dryer sheets as deterrent will that work? Instead of posting opinions, let's come up with some alternatives and see how creative we can be. Just a suggestion.
Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
y'all can whine about the lights all you want but here in the desert it's about rattle snakes who follow and eat pack rats.(snakes are out now, it's been a mild 'winter') They are as silent as anything you've never heard, and if you would rather sit in the dark and not have a chance to see one sliding out from under your trailer onto your patio space or slide between your sandals then more power to ya! Lights may or may not deter various critters from the dark space beneath the camper but they will let you see what's under there!
But DO turn them off when you retire and use a flashlight if you have go back out in the dark.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Too much? Not mine but this is a trend..Click image for larger version

Name:	12892.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	388696
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:25 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
The only obnoxious trend I’m seeing is everyone seems to think they can impose their will and dislikes upon others. It’s not how the ACamping World exists.

I don't like lights and use very few when camping. However, everyone camps the way THEY want, as it should be. If one wants total darkness there are places that can happen. Boondocking comes to mind. If the complaints about campers with lights who believe it is a me first situation would step back they might see that same attitude coming from them. No one has the right to tell me how to camp as long as I follow the CG rules. If one doesn't like lights I suggest a more remote camp site.

Canyon
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Courtland , Ontario
LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I beg to disagree. Our dear Lucy wears a belt of LED lights around her middle once it gets dark. this applies whether she is out camping or at home in the alley behind our house. We do turn them off when we go to bed.

We have had many comments from other campers about how much they liked Lucy's lights and inquiries about where we got them and how they were installed and powered.

Brian

I think you should turn your lights off if someone requests that...folks have many issues and you may not know their strife...turn them off if you are offending them. Be kind and be a good neighbor.
ednmarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
Pack Rats. The lights under TVs at night keep them out. But unfortunately it has turned trendy and out of control!
Old 02-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Richmond , Virginia
Pack rats are real

While at Organ Pipe National Monument we had lights under the RV and under the hood of our Tundra. The pack rats chewed up some of the fire proofing inter the hood the night we forgot to put lights under the hood!
cldamonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Good to know!

I've always turned my under belly lights off when we go in...more out of energy conservation. I didn't realize they are a good critter deterrent!

Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
"Anyone else noticing this obnoxious trend?"

Yes, unfortunately. For the past six years we've spent summers in a campground up in the mountains that in the past two seasons has seen an influx of big motor coaches and 5th wheels. For some reason they seem to be engaged in a contest to see who can light up the sky with the most lights, of all colors, up, over, around, and under their rigs.

Does it bother us? Despite the fact that it doesn't seem as much like "camping out", not really. It seems like a fad, and these types will soon be on to something else.

Nothing stays the same.... except for change.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
I’ve thought about putting lights at the end of our awning and on the ground underneath the tt on the passenger side. They would get turned off once the fire pit was stoked so we could then enjoy the night sky. Besides we boondock away from other campers most of the time
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Keeps the critters away

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
While camping this past week at a state park in Tucson we noticed a new trend. Rope lights laid out on the ground all around the perimeter of the RV and tow vehicles. They leave these lights on all night. A few took the light show further and wrapped their RV's and trucks with rope lights too.

I'm okay with a few lights attached to awning while sitting outside, but these bright displays that are left on all night long really kill the night sky, which is part of the attraction of camping. It also makes enjoying a campfire difficult when your neighbor's RV's are lit up like billboards in Times Square.

Anyone else noticing this obnoxious trend?
I read where many keep lights on under their RV's because it keeps rodents and other animals from crawling under and getting into their trailers.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Indeed, Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
The only obnoxious trend I’m seeing is everyone seems to think they can impose their will and dislikes upon others. It’s not how the ACamping World exists.

Right on brother, everyone seems to believe "they" are in the majority. It appears we now live in an age where people are looking to be offended. Do like our parents, go inside, sit down and talk badly about "them" amongst yourselves.
Lighten up, dudes!
Figuratively Or literally, your choice