Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Arrow What's the best replacement toilet?

My toilet is rusted solid and HAS to go! In my 68 Safari there is a Lid/Cover that folds down over the toilet to act as a lid, but I would be ok with just getting a new toilet with lid. What toilets have you all had a good experience with (Function and installation wise....no other experiences are needed to be discussed here )
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Obviously, a toilet that works! Okay, the serious answer is, we installed a Thetford Bravurra low-profile toilet in our Overlander. It works well, and was relatively inexpensive.
There are, of course, others, this is the latest one I have used with success.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Several choices...

We have been needing a replacement too. Do a search and you will find many recommendations and hopefully some specific to your unit. I know that some folks have had issues with fitting a new one into the space available. We have an '83 motorhome with a Thetford Galaxy. Many recommended a Sealand Traveler, but we were concerned about 1) weight of a procelain loo and 2) retrofitting.

I had a hard time getting clear info on the weight issue. I thought it was odd that the internet sales sites I visited gave all kinds of size specs, but no weight. (I guess that would have shown up in the ordering/shipping process, but I didn't go to the trouble.We decided to go with a Thetford Bravura and are keeping our fingers crossed that it will fit. We also chose not to get the water saver sprayer. We will certainly be boondocking, but will use grey water from showering etc to save water. I read somewhere that the Bravura retrofits well for the Galaxy. We'll see.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What's the best replacement toilet?

Greetings soldiermedic!

When dealing with the toilets in both my Overlander and Minuet, I went with recommendations from my dealer, Ace Fogdall RV. In the Overlander, I went with the Thetford AquaMagic V Low Profile (http://www.thetford.com/permanent_aquamagicv.cfm), and while quite satisfactory in performance, it becomes an increasingly difficult chore to keep clean the older that it gets. When it came time for the Minuet where clearances were much tighter, the recommendation was for the Thetford Bravura Low Profile (and even it was enough larger than the original that it required modifications to the mounting platform (the Minuet has an above-the-floor blackwater tank) -- {http://www.thetford.com/permanent_bravura.cfm}. Again, even at less than three years of age, it is beginning to become a chore to keep clean.

While there is a slight weight penalty with the porcelain RV toilets, my next replacement will be one of the models with the porcelain bowl. If I were making the choice today, I would likely be looking at the Thetford Aria (http://www.thetford.com/permanent_aria.cfm) -- I would also be considering the Sealand Traveler units (http://www.sealandsanitation.com/traveler_prod.htm). The slight weight penalty would be worth considering in terms of cleaning ease. (IMHO)

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
So many choices

Thanks everyone for your reccommendations so far...it will be a help when I get the floors replaced, and ready to go.
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Soldiermedic, I've got to say, removing the plastic La Toilette in my Tradewind and replacing with a Sealand Traveler Lite has been the BEST improvement I've made to date. I went with the low profile model as it sits on a step-up over the blackwater tank. Yes, there is a bit of a weight tradeoff, but unless I'm mistaken I saw an original china toilet in your pics. If the original was china it stands to reason that supporting a china replacement shouldn't be a problem.

If you go this route and have trouble matching the flanges, check the SeaLand Traveler Universal Mounting Kit thread (if you can't get this to hyperlink to work correctly, search on "sealand mounting"). I love mine, replaced the cheap plastic seat with a regular home type, and now it's no different than being at the house. Seems odd giving rave reviews to a toilet, but this one is a thumbs up, hands down!