Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Oregon City , Oregon
Toilet flapper loses standing water

To my surpise on this trip. I noticed no standing water in the bowl. I have let the lever spring back hard to get a fast close, pulled the lever up with my foot to 'seal' the hole....

Any tricks? Can't imagine that it decided to fail today after 40 yrs. Grrrr
Armorhotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

First try a little quality time with your head down the bowl. In your hand you will need a toothpick or matchstick. (Wear rubber gloves). Close off the water valve behind the bowl. (not essential). Open the closing device using the foot pedal, and jam the pedal down with a piece of wood between the pedal and the body of the bowl. (I use a folded Leatherman tool in its leather case. It's just the right size, and a little resilient.) Use the toothpick to clean out the groove into which the closing plate normally fits. A small mirror helps to see into the groove. If you are lucky, you will find a screwed up piece of toilet paper within the groove. Once this is removed, the bowl should hold water. (Remember to turn on the water valve) If this process fails to fix the leak, then you can remove and dismantle the toilet, and use a repair pack to replace the rubber gasket. In my experience, the whole mechanism under the bowl will be rusted, and a replacement modern WC will be a sound investment. You can spend a lot of money and time on replacing parts, and the WC will still be inefficient. Been there, done that, unfortunately! Good luck. Nick.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Oregon City , Oregon
Thanks! I will dig out the snorkel this weekend. Glenn
Armorhotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Flint , Texas
My toilet had the same problem. Airstream of Spokane told me to spray the seal and ball with silicon spray and that would fix it. IT DID!
cowcreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcreek7
My toilet had the same problem. Airstream of Spokane told me to spray the seal and ball with silicon spray and that would fix it. IT DID!
Be CAREFUL with that silicone spray!!! Be certain that it contains only pure silicone and no petroleum distillates in the mix or as propellants as they will do far more damage than good .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I had the same problem with my old toilet. I tried all the above tips, but to no avail. I bit the bullet and bought a new pot.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking to God

If the above does not work, Tetford makes a rebuild kit.
A couple seals, some bleach solution and rubber gloves, walla she's as good as new!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Woah!
Hold on, with the toothpick. If your hands are big, or crippled with some arther, or if you just don't wanna get your hands dirty, buy a cheap screwdriver with a long, thin shank. Take a hacksaw, cut off the head so it looks like a stiff steel rod or wire with a handle. Use a file or sandpaper to clean off any burrs from the cut. Next, using vice grips, a vice, etc, bend the last inch 90 degrees. You now have a tool you can keep in your unit at all times that you can make real quick work of removing compacted toilet paper from the sliding gate groove WITHOUT getting your hands in it.
I have, in a pinch, made a tool out of a very stiff cloths hanger. Just be sure to clean off all burrs.
Now, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT SCRATCH THE INSIDE OF THE PLASTIC GROOVE AS IT WILL FOREVER SEEP THE WATER OUT!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Go replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I had the same problem with my old toilet. I tried all the above tips, but to no avail. I bit the bullet and bought a new pot.
I agree with Pick! The PO of my unit had used some kind of "toilet cleaner" and left the residue in the bowl. That virtually corroded the seal plate - and no amount of tinkering could fix it. We bought a new Thetford porcelain bowl toilet and commited the old unit to the dump.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote