Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Water heater caught on fire

stopped in Kansas 3 nights ago. wind, hail, rain. next morning I was in bathroom shaving. trailer filled with foul smelling smoke coming in from around the water heater. got the dog, wife, and fire extinguisher outside and opened the water heater door. fire was already out. the plastic box and some of the wires over the burner had burned. fire was out when I got to it

unit was a Atwood with DSI. what to replace it with?

do they catch on fire often?
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Hi Bill,
Ours acts up, too. And judging from the amount of sooting on the vented cover piece (black as coal) it has been known to shoot a flame or two. It always sounds like a snorting pig with a bad cold!

At a rally, a much more experienced Airstreamer tried to adjust/fix it for us. It acted up again. Currently, my husband has cleaned the tube, igniter, etc., looked for dirt dobber nests, etc., and has it working without shooting flames.

Incidentally, we talked to Airstream about it today (we were in Jackson Center having shocks installed). The story was that we might need a probe, or a circuit board, or we could just replace the thing. We will replace it. Meanwhile, while we heated water for me to take a shower, hubby sat outside in a lawn chair and watched it to make sure it behaved.

We would never leave the thing running, we just turn it on long enough to heat the water - and now we watch it to boot.

Also, I think you may find a thread all about water heaters which might be helpful. Ours is an Atwood. Bet yours is, too.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
stopped in Kansas 3 nights ago. wind, hail, rain. next morning I was in bathroom shaving. trailer filled with foul smelling smoke coming in from around the water heater. got the dog, wife, and fire extinguisher outside and opened the water heater door. fire was already out. the plastic box and some of the wires over the burner had burned. fire was out when I got to it

Was it a electrical fire at the connector or do you think it started from the burner?
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Might want to take a picture and call Atwood for an email address to send it to for an opinion. Glad you escaped unscathed....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Our Atwood threw a wobbly when an errant spider decided to take up residence in the main supply pipe. The thermal cut-out melted (as it's supposed to) and the inside of the control panel looked a little scorched. A guy from the dealer's came out and cleaned it up for us and fitted a new thermal cut-out, which had it working fine, albeit that we weren't very confident for a few days. The tech reduced the amount of air being added to the burner by closing the little silver slide thing a little, to quieten the burner down a bit (it does roar). However, the exhaust became very sooty very quickly so I opened the air valve up again; cleaner exhaust but noisy again. That's life I guess.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hey Bill, you may want to check out Suburban as a replacement of your Atwood tank type water heater. However it sounds like you had an electrical issue that started the fire.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

did it look like this?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ire-73813.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I dont mean to hijack this thread...but someone did suggest a Suburban water heater in lieu of the Atwood. Is the Suburban a direct replacement for the Atwood. Do they both fit equally well in the side of an Airstream?
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
stopped in Kansas 3 nights ago. wind, hail, rain. - Bill, we drove through this storm north of Salina, too! Only moderate damage to the front panels of The Silver Otter, but no mechanical problems. Sorry about your heater.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Bill, check out a thread from 6-22-06 "Atwood vs Suburban".
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
I had the same experience as Mr UK Toad. A spider built a nest in the line and it flamed up. My local RV Tech fixed it and told me that spiders are attracted to the propane smell. He told me to put moth balls on the floor inside the water heater compartment because spiders don't like their smell. I did, and have not had a problem since!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Flaming Waterheater

I had that problem years ago in an sob. the water heater had a pilot light. The problem was caused by critters (spiders I assume) building there nest in the orfice. Went to NAPA and bought a set of torch tip cleaners and cleaned the orfice and did not have that trouble again. Every season I now clean the water heater orfice and still have not had a repeat of that problem.
PS: If the gas stove (its that thing nest to the entry door) erupts in a lazy yellow flame at the vent theproblem is again critters in the orfice.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for the suggestions. The heater was not burning well. It made a surging sound. The wind was blowing hard into that side of the trailer. I think the burner sputtered and backed up enough gas to ignite the wires and the big chunk of plastic with the board in it. The insulation from the wires and the potting for the board melted and dripped down on the burner. Lasted about 5 min then burned out.

I have the new water heater installed now. I went with another Atwood. I opted to get the DSI - electric model. When I see how well the new one burns I realize how dumb I was to continue to operate the old one without a perfect flame. My suggestion is if yours has any burning issue at all you should attend to it. Beginner has it right in the post above.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote