Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
On-Demand water heater 'problem' solved

To set the scene:

We have about 1,200 miles on our 2021 27' FBQ Globetrotter (we absolutely LOVE IT). This is our first trailer and I have roughly the mechanical aptitude and expertise of a dairy cow. On our last trip we spent 7 nights at one location and everything was fine with our water heater. On the way home we stayed over for one night at an interim park. That's when our water heater quit working. The panel in the bathroom showed that the system would kick on, the water would get up to temp (we have it set at 119) and then it would shut off....temperature would come down right away and the water pressure dropped. Not good. Here is what I checked:
  • All the breakers and fuses in the electrical panel under the fridge---looked good
  • Opened the door to the water heater 'box' outside the trailer and checked that litlle fuse...looked good.
  • Got my tools out of the back of my truck and thought about randomly taking the water heater apart like a 4 year old hopped up on Skittles. Wisely decided to put tools back in truck.

After we got home we put in a call to our dealer and told them that the darn water heater was broken. We hitched up and drove an hour to the dealer. Luckily they had a technician there who took a quick look and then asked "are you using a water pressure regulator?"

"Of course we are, all the Youtube videos say we need to do that to protect the plumbing from too much pressure."

"Yeah, you don't need that; The 2021 Globetrotter has that built-in. Your external pressure regulator dropped the pressure too low. The park you stayed at probably had low pressure and the double regulators killed it more. The water heater works fine on the water pump."

I make these mistakes for your benefit.
ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
4 yr old on skittles[emoji23]

Good you got it going.

Last wknd neighbor in SOB had same on demand no-go. Even asked if others were having water pressure problems, nope.

He had a fancy adjustable regulator all cranked up. Even asked staff.

He was a bit mule headed about using his fancy regulator. Turns out as soon as he removed it hot water flowed.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
From the GT parts manual.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
From the GT parts manual.

NOW you tell me [emoji23]
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
4 yr old on skittles[emoji23]

Good you got it going.

Last wknd neighbor in SOB had same on demand no-go. Even asked if others were having water pressure problems, nope.

He had a fancy adjustable regulator all cranked up. Even asked staff.

He was a bit mule headed about using his fancy regulator. Turns out as soon as he removed it hot water flowed.

Gary

If he needs another fancy regulator I might know where he can pick one up cheap.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeCali View Post
If he needs another fancy regulator I might know where he can pick one up cheap.
Well in campgrounds that have less then 70 psi the extra regulator can cause problems but, if you go to a campground with more then 100 psi it is still a good idea.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well in campgrounds that have less then 70 psi the extra regulator can cause problems but, if you go to a campground with more then 100 psi it is still a good idea.
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.

Exactly why. Hose can swell and burst at very high campground pressures. Especially in hot weather.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I guess I will continue to use my fancy regulator at the spigot, then my short blue hose into my over-the-top double filtration system, into my zero G hose, then into my 90 degree fitting (that the YouTube guys also say I need) then into the “city water” fitting. Easy as pie! Then, if the water pressure is too low I’ll remove the FR (fancy regulator). If the pressure is sufficient, I’m good. If the pressure is high, I’m protected all the way down the line. Belt and suspenders.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Exactly why. Hose can swell and burst at very high campground pressures. Especially in hot weather.
Yes protecting the hose and filter is the main reason.

Some people also believe that even if the built in regulator wasn't cheap you shouldn't assume it will never fail.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Yes protecting the hose and filter is the main reason.

Some people also believe that even if the built in regulator wasn't cheap you shouldn't assume it will never fail.
I am all for critical system redundancy. However, the failure of a external, inexpensive hose going to the pressure regulator hardly rises to a major concern. As to failure of the built in regulator, I guess that would have to be stacked up against on all the other devices in the trailer that can fail. Carrying spares for all the critical systems in case of failure would be challenging.

Rather than a second regulator consider a high pressure hose. Flexible, stainless steel hoses are cheap on Amazon.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Right! Your hose can’t handle 100 psig especially in the sun
Frog Hollow I’m Mississippi always gave us a regulator because their pressure is 90 psig and the reason is to protect the water hose
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
gcj
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Lindon , Utah
ByeCali, I have nothing to add other than I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup! And, I learned something. Thank you for brightening my day!
Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
I just fill my water tank and use my onboard pump, avoiding all these issues.

The cost? Every other day or so I may have to top off my water tank…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcj View Post
ByeCali, I have nothing to add other than I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup! And, I learned something. Thank you for brightening my day!

[emoji106]
Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
If anything count on low water pressure at all times.
Watermain pressure is normaly ranged between 50 and 60 PSI.
The idea that you need to protect your domestic system from high water pressure is a joke.
Works for people selling regulators.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
If anything count on low water pressure at all times.
Watermain pressure is normaly ranged between 50 and 60 PSI.
The idea that you need to protect your domestic system from high water pressure is a joke.
Works for people selling regulators.
NOT TRUE. Many campgrounds sized water lines to what was needed when they first opened with no thought about ever expanding. Then a few years or decades later expanded to double or triple the number of sites and just connected to the existing pipes, now way undersized for demand. To get around this problem they increase the pressure instead of fixing it by running new lines to get enough volume.

Remember many campgrounds are rural and have wells not water mains from a city.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remember, the built in regulator does not protect your hose from high pressure.
Remember our old campground for Alumilina? I was warned that the park pressure was 90 psi and sold another regulator for the hose barb.

I think I'd rather run the pump when needed than forgo my second regulator.

But, glad you found your answer, we learn something every day!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
I am all for critical system redundancy. However, the failure of a external, inexpensive hose going to the pressure regulator hardly rises to a major concern. As to failure of the built in regulator, I guess that would have to be stacked up against on all the other devices in the trailer that can fail. Carrying spares for all the critical systems in case of failure would be challenging.

Rather than a second regulator consider a high pressure hose. Flexible, stainless steel hoses are cheap on Amazon.
A burst hose can be a major concern in some areas. Many areas out west are currently in critical/severe drought conditions, this makes a burst hose wasting water for half an hour to a few hours a major concern for the environment and people that live in the area, it's not just the cost of a hose.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
A burst hose can be a major concern in some areas. Many areas out west are currently in critical/severe drought conditions, this makes a burst hose wasting water for half an hour to a few hours a major concern for the environment and people that live in the area, it's not just the cost of a hose.

Yup. Exactly. California, for one, is in a severe drought most areas, and water waste can get you a citation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote