Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
On-Demand water heater 'problem' solved

To set the scene:

We have about 1,200 miles on our 2021 27' FBQ Globetrotter (we absolutely LOVE IT). This is our first trailer and I have roughly the mechanical aptitude and expertise of a dairy cow. On our last trip we spent 7 nights at one location and everything was fine with our water heater. On the way home we stayed over for one night at an interim park. That's when our water heater quit working. The panel in the bathroom showed that the system would kick on, the water would get up to temp (we have it set at 119) and then it would shut off....temperature would come down right away and the water pressure dropped. Not good. Here is what I checked:
  • All the breakers and fuses in the electrical panel under the fridge---looked good
  • Opened the door to the water heater 'box' outside the trailer and checked that litlle fuse...looked good.
  • Got my tools out of the back of my truck and thought about randomly taking the water heater apart like a 4 year old hopped up on Skittles. Wisely decided to put tools back in truck.

After we got home we put in a call to our dealer and told them that the darn water heater was broken. We hitched up and drove an hour to the dealer. Luckily they had a technician there who took a quick look and then asked "are you using a water pressure regulator?"

"Of course we are, all the Youtube videos say we need to do that to protect the plumbing from too much pressure."

"Yeah, you don't need that; The 2021 Globetrotter has that built-in. Your external pressure regulator dropped the pressure too low. The park you stayed at probably had low pressure and the double regulators killed it more. The water heater works fine on the water pump."

I make these mistakes for your benefit.
ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Team
 
GCinSC2's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,211
4 yr old on skittles

Good you got it going.

Last wknd neighbor in SOB had same on demand no-go. Even asked if others were having water pressure problems, nope.

He had a fancy adjustable regulator all cranked up. Even asked staff.

He was a bit mule headed about using his fancy regulator. Turns out as soon as he removed it hot water flowed.

Gary
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
Flagstaff , Arizona
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 140
From the GT parts manual.

__________________
2021 F-150 PowerBoost/7.5kw ProPower =+= 2022 GlobeTrotter 25FB Twin All Electric
goldenchase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
From the GT parts manual.





NOW you tell me
ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
4 yr old on skittles

Good you got it going.

Last wknd neighbor in SOB had same on demand no-go. Even asked if others were having water pressure problems, nope.

He had a fancy adjustable regulator all cranked up. Even asked staff.

He was a bit mule headed about using his fancy regulator. Turns out as soon as he removed it hot water flowed.

Gary


If he needs another fancy regulator I might know where he can pick one up cheap.
ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeCali View Post
If he needs another fancy regulator I might know where he can pick one up cheap.
Well in campgrounds that have less then 70 psi the extra regulator can cause problems but, if you go to a campground with more then 100 psi it is still a good idea.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Flagstaff , Arizona
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well in campgrounds that have less then 70 psi the extra regulator can cause problems but, if you go to a campground with more then 100 psi it is still a good idea.
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.
__________________
2021 F-150 PowerBoost/7.5kw ProPower =+= 2022 GlobeTrotter 25FB Twin All Electric
goldenchase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.


Exactly why. Hose can swell and burst at very high campground pressures. Especially in hot weather.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I guess I will continue to use my fancy regulator at the spigot, then my short blue hose into my over-the-top double filtration system, into my zero G hose, then into my 90 degree fitting (that the YouTube guys also say I need) then into the ďcity waterĒ fitting. Easy as pie! Then, if the water pressure is too low Iíll remove the FR (fancy regulator). If the pressure is sufficient, Iím good. If the pressure is high, Iím protected all the way down the line. Belt and suspenders.
ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Exactly why. Hose can swell and burst at very high campground pressures. Especially in hot weather.
Yes protecting the hose and filter is the main reason.

Some people also believe that even if the built in regulator wasn't cheap you shouldn't assume it will never fail.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Flagstaff , Arizona
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Yes protecting the hose and filter is the main reason.

Some people also believe that even if the built in regulator wasn't cheap you shouldn't assume it will never fail.
I am all for critical system redundancy. However, the failure of a external, inexpensive hose going to the pressure regulator hardly rises to a major concern. As to failure of the built in regulator, I guess that would have to be stacked up against on all the other devices in the trailer that can fail. Carrying spares for all the critical systems in case of failure would be challenging.

Rather than a second regulator consider a high pressure hose. Flexible, stainless steel hoses are cheap on Amazon.
__________________
2021 F-150 PowerBoost/7.5kw ProPower =+= 2022 GlobeTrotter 25FB Twin All Electric
goldenchase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Why? If it is capping at 50 psi on the camper wall, no regulator is needed unless you want to protect the hose.
Right! Your hose canít handle 100 psig especially in the sun
Frog Hollow Iím Mississippi always gave us a regulator because their pressure is 90 psig and the reason is to protect the water hose
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
gcj
1 Rivet Member
 
Lindon , Utah
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 13
ByeCali, I have nothing to add other than I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup! And, I learned something. Thank you for brightening my day!
__________________
2022 Globetrotter RBT (Feb 2022 Delivery)
2020 RAM 2500 w/ Cummins Diesel
gcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,880
Blog Entries: 13
I just fill my water tank and use my onboard pump, avoiding all these issues.

The cost? Every other day or so I may have to top off my water tankÖ
__________________
Sorta new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Middle-aged Safari SE
Young, lovely bride
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcj View Post
ByeCali, I have nothing to add other than I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup! And, I learned something. Thank you for brightening my day!


ByeCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well in campgrounds that have less then 70 psi the extra regulator can cause problems but, if you go to a campground with more then 100 psi it is still a good idea.
If anything count on low water pressure at all times.
Watermain pressure is normaly ranged between 50 and 60 PSI.
The idea that you need to protect your domestic system from high water pressure is a joke.
Works for people selling regulators.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
If anything count on low water pressure at all times.
Watermain pressure is normaly ranged between 50 and 60 PSI.
The idea that you need to protect your domestic system from high water pressure is a joke.
Works for people selling regulators.
NOT TRUE. Many campgrounds sized water lines to what was needed when they first opened with no thought about ever expanding. Then a few years or decades later expanded to double or triple the number of sites and just connected to the existing pipes, now way undersized for demand. To get around this problem they increase the pressure instead of fixing it by running new lines to get enough volume.

Remember many campgrounds are rural and have wells not water mains from a city.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,191
Blog Entries: 1
Remember, the built in regulator does not protect your hose from high pressure.
Remember our old campground for Alumilina? I was warned that the park pressure was 90 psi and sold another regulator for the hose barb.

I think I'd rather run the pump when needed than forgo my second regulator.

But, glad you found your answer, we learn something every day!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
I am all for critical system redundancy. However, the failure of a external, inexpensive hose going to the pressure regulator hardly rises to a major concern. As to failure of the built in regulator, I guess that would have to be stacked up against on all the other devices in the trailer that can fail. Carrying spares for all the critical systems in case of failure would be challenging.

Rather than a second regulator consider a high pressure hose. Flexible, stainless steel hoses are cheap on Amazon.
A burst hose can be a major concern in some areas. Many areas out west are currently in critical/severe drought conditions, this makes a burst hose wasting water for half an hour to a few hours a major concern for the environment and people that live in the area, it's not just the cost of a hose.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
A burst hose can be a major concern in some areas. Many areas out west are currently in critical/severe drought conditions, this makes a burst hose wasting water for half an hour to a few hours a major concern for the environment and people that live in the area, it's not just the cost of a hose.


Yup. Exactly. California, for one, is in a severe drought most areas, and water waste can get you a citation.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Water Tank Low Pressure Problems-Won't allow on demand water heater to turn on dieselsnack Fresh Water Systems 2 08-21-2018 11:02 AM
On Demand Water Heater? codybear Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 4 06-04-2011 11:27 AM
Small Electric on-demand water heater and a 20A plug Globie64 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 04-14-2011 08:49 AM
Hot Water Heater Problem Solved Larry71 Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 5 04-19-2009 01:29 AM
hot water water on demand with a with a normal water heater Frank's Trailer Works Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 3 09-25-2007 01:24 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.