Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
In-line filters for water

I'd like to filter the water coming out of the taps. I was planning to use the same drinking water hose for filling the fresh water tank and for hooking up to 'city water'. Should I simply screw an in-line filter onto it?
Old 11-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
A plastic, in-line filter screwed into the hose connection at the trailer works fine. One problem with them is that being soft plastic, they don't tolerate extremely high water pressure from some campgrounds. I've had them leak badly and one even blew off the connection. Now, I mostly use the filter and fill the fresh water tank which I use as the main water supply in the trailer. I refill the fresh water tank as needed, which is a rare occasion. I find that water pressure is better from the tank and water isn't sitting in the hose all day pickup up chemicals from the sun warmed hose.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
The inline filters are OK, but they reduce the pressure of the water coming into the trailer and they do not filter much out. I use a whole house filter from GE. Better filtering and better flow.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Has anyone used the Culligan RV800 filter?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Bluetick,
Go here and explore to your hearts content regarding filters - https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/

I highly recommend you use the Search button in the upper right blue box. Type in pretty much any camping/camper subject and dig in!

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard.👍

I USE THIS ONE....they have many choices.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Like other topics, lots of opinions. I’ve been using the inexpensive blue external filters for 10 years that screw onto the hose, and external hose bib. No issues, filters fine, no discernible reduction in water flow/pressure, and I also have an external water pressure reduction valve. Pick your best matching opinion!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Bluetick,
Go here and explore to your hearts content regarding filters - https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/

I highly recommend you use the Search button in the upper right blue box. Type in pretty much any camping/camper subject and dig in!
Blue tick
Interesting that someone has luck finding Water Filter options using this search engine. Not only do I find this search tool average at best, I just did several searches and didn’t find anything specific to water filters.
However I would appreciate some useful tips if you have good examples how this could work to find a selection of Water Filters for camper.
Thanks
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I USE THIS ONE....they have many choices.

Bob
🇺🇸

I made a similar setup. Bought 2 whole house filters from my neighborhood hardware store along with the appropriate fittings to connect them. Total cost, under $50.
I run a string filter in the first housing and a 0.5 micron in the second. You can buy your choice of filter almost anywhere.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I use a Camco 40019 TastePURE XL that I use for either filling the fresh water tank, or connecting directly into the city water input on the trailer. If possible I will connect directly to a water spigot, but if it's too close to the ground, I'll connect the hose to the spigot and on the trailer end connect the filter, that has a spring on it to relieve some of the weight on the trailer size.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I use 2 different filters, for some reason. When hooked to city, blue, cheap camco. Less flow restriction. When I fill the tank I use a clear2O. Better filter but slower flow. Using the Clear2O filter all the time lowers the flow in gallons per minute (what some people may think of as pressure is really less flow). I feel better with the cleaner water in the tank but am not as concerned about it otherwise. We use a berkey for drinking always. Strange, yes but we all have our quirks.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/r...BoCleoQAvD_BwE
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Most RV filters are just for particulate and will reduce pressure with ongoing use if they actually need to remove anything.
If you use a whole house filter with a carbon cartridge then you remove chlorine and some heavy metals and only need to change it every year or two since it is sized for household use.
If you use an inline then you screw it onto the tap and you have a filter for your tank also
If you use an RV white hose you really shouldn’t be worried about chemicals from the hose. If you leave the trailer for a few days then just flush the toilet to clean stale water out of the hose. You absolutely must use a hose rated for drinking water, not gardening
I doubt the filter body is affected by high temp but the treaded connections might be affected by the differential expansion of two different materials and leakage would occur because the connection was no longer tight
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Most RV filters are just for particulate and will reduce pressure with ongoing use if they actually need to remove anything.
If you use a whole house filter with a carbon cartridge then you remove chlorine and some heavy metals and only need to change it every year or two since it is sized for household use.
If you use an inline then you screw it onto the tap and you have a filter for your tank also
If you use an RV white hose you really shouldn’t be worried about chemicals from the hose. If you leave the trailer for a few days then just flush the toilet to clean stale water out of the hose. You absolutely must use a hose rated for drinking water, not gardening
I doubt the filter body is affected by high temp but the treaded connections might be affected by the differential expansion of two different materials and leakage would occur because the connection was no longer tight
Oh...I thought we were filtering on it's way to the FW tank.
I removed the filter on the Moan sink faucet.
POI we don't drink tank water, well maybe a little when we brush our teeth.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #15
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
I use a Camco 40019 TastePURE XL that I use for either filling the fresh water tank, or connecting directly into the city water input on the trailer. If possible I will connect directly to a water spigot, but if it's too close to the ground, I'll connect the hose to the spigot and on the trailer end connect the filter, that has a spring on it to relieve some of the weight on the trailer size.
I also use the Camco TastePURE filter on the water line, attached directly to the spigot, when using a city water supply or filling the fresh water tank. It’s not perfect at eliminating all odors and bad taste, but it’s effective at removing sediment.

When boondocking, however, I almost never drink the water in the fresh tank. Instead, I use a Berkey reverse osmosis water purifier: https://www.berkeyfilters.com/. It’s very effective at purifying and removing impurities and pathogens. I fill it directly from the campground water source (and you can even use lake or river water in a pinch), which helps to conserve my fresh water supply.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I was under the impression that reverse osmosis was pushing water through a filter membrane 'under pressure'.
No?
I notice in their ad's there is no reference to osmosis.
Maybe it's the shine that makes it better.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #17
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I was under the impression that reverse osmosis was pushing water through a filter membrane 'under pressure'.
No?
I notice in their ad's there is no reference to osmosis.
Maybe it's the shine that makes it better.

Bob
🇺🇸
Oops, my bad. It’s not reverse-osmosis, but a micro-pore and ion exchange based technology. And yes, Berkey filters are gravity based, but more effective than typical water filter pitchers.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
SE , Wisconsin
If you're tired of low quality junk and are willing to pay a little bit more, Clear Source RV filters are probably the best and best quality out there.

https://clearsourcerv.com/
Jumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
On my ‘88, I added a separate tap for drinking water only. On that tap I have a restaurant/soda machine quality filter. The filter has to be changed once a year.
It’s not inexpensive to replace, but IMHO it works well.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
Using Google for search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports View Post
Blue tick
Interesting that someone has luck finding Water Filter options using this search engine. Not only do I find this search tool average at best, I just did several searches and didn’t find anything specific to water filters.
However I would appreciate some useful tips if you have good examples how this could work to find a selection of Water Filters for camper.
Thanks
Search tip:
If you go to Google.com and search
___
“water filter” site:airforums.com
___
You can use one of the world’s best search engines to find what you are looking for.

(And you’ll probably start seeing adds for water filters everywhere you go…. Google will sell your search data. )

Use the quotes around “water filter” to search for the two words together. The site:airforums.com tag tells Google to limit the search to airforums.com.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote