Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Water filters system by SEARS

I've just equipped my house with this kind of water filters ( 2 filters, one 25 micron and the other one with salt for the tartar and the limestone. ).
So i remember that I ve found a similar system, when I bought my A/S with 2 bottles too and the brand was SEARS.
What water filters do you use in campgrounds and do you think it's usefull when you stayt , as me, "only" 2 monthes a year in the A/S?

Thank you, one more time , for your advices.

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bruno, we use a Culligan filter that attaches to the water inlet hose. Costs about $20 (u.s.). It is guaranteed for 1 year.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I can't remember the brand, but I think it is Tastepure. It is an in-line filter. It is light blue and is often sold with a 10 ft (3 meter) hose or you can buy them separately. I get a new one each year so after the first year, I just buy the filter without the hose, but there isn't much difference in price with or without the hose. I get them at Wal-mart. Do you have Wal-mart in France?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I can't remember the brand, but I think it is Tastepure. It is an in-line filter. It is light blue and is often sold with a 10 ft (3 meter) hose or you can buy them separately. I get a new one each year so after the first year, I just buy the filter without the hose, but there isn't much difference in price with or without the hose. I get them at Wal-mart. Do you have Wal-mart in France?
No wal-mart in France, but specialized tools supermarket as "Castorama" and "Leroy-merlin" where we can find all sort of filter cartridges, 5, 25 micron, for odor, taste, sand, rust, limestone, all sort of waste we can find in water ...
Do you use one ,each year to filter your water, in your A/S ?....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Do you use one ,each year to filter your water, in your A/S ?....
Yes, I am paranoid about the water in water hoses and campgrounds so I get a new one each year. Our 2006 Safari came with a filter in the faucet plus I use a water filter pitcher that I keep in the refrigerator for drinking water...I know, I am really paranoid, but I grew up drinking water from a well and we had all kinds of filters on it and I am just overly cautious. I also use a filter faucet on my kitchen sink and a filter on the ice-maker in the refrigerator at home for our drinking water and ice plus our water is from a municipal water supply.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Hi;
We're new owners, but water quality and taste has always been important to me. (We will be in France September/October, but in the Sud & Paris.) The first question is: what are you trying to filter? In USA the water is usually safe but there is a taste issue so I use a carbon block that filters chlorine and heavy metals. If you have other concerns you may need more protection. Camping stores for backpacking usually ahve many varieties since campers in back country have bigger challenges. The Katadyn filters from Switzerland are one of the best in the world, but made for backpacking and are usualy overkill for municipal water (unless you are in India.) You can look at the Sears website or Water Filters: Replacement Filter Cartridges for Culligan, Everpure, Samsung, Pur, Brita, Pentek, GE, American Plumber, LG, and more , one site I found through Google.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Bruno...we also use an in-line filter...not too expensive and easily replaced when needed...and filter water before it enters the AS. Different kinds of filters clean out different things, so make sure you get one that is getting rid of the things you want it to...in the US it's usually a matter of the taste of the water and minerals and particulate contaminates that we don't want...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We also use the inline filter from Culligan. Cost is about $20 at Camping World. Works great!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If bio-contaminants are a concern, i.e. mold/mildew or other mild pollutants that one would come into contact with in an RV park, you can pour a tablespoon or two of household bleach into the hose on the trailer side of the filter and let it run through the freshwater plumbing to disinfect the pipes. This works well to disinfect the hose after it sets for a while, too.

You can also put bleach into the fresh water tank and let it slosh around while traveling or just let it set over night in the full tank to disinfect it, too. The bleach will evaporate in 12-24 hours to a concentration no greater than chlorinated municipal water, but still get rid of the bacteria in the system. I put 4/5 cup, IIRC, into my 39 gallon fresh water tank at the beginning of each camping season after the system has set for a month or so (we have a short non-camping season in here). I try to do this a week before we head out.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet My Filter Choice

Hi Bruno,

I installed one of these GE filter systems in my Excella to replace the original unit. GE Water Products -- Model Features and Photos It even has a LED on the faucet to remind you to change the filter. They also make a dual stage model with 2 filters. Even though I live in the Excella, the single filter is good for me. I only use it for cooking, drinking, and ice cubes. When I bought replacement filters, I got their Premium set from the dual stage model that are 0.5-1 micron and even remove 99.99% of cysts. Since I got the 2-pack, I have my next replacement already. There is also a unit that doesn’t have the faucet for icemakers. Since the refrigerator I have on order has an icemaker, I will be installing one of these too.

I bought it at Home Depot, which is convenient here in the US. I’m sure they are available in France, though. There are instructions on the box in French.