Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
How often to turn on water heater?

Hello, I might be posting this in the wrong spot- my water heater works great- no repair needed. 2004 25' Safari-

We just spent our first weekend in it. I wonder if folks just leave their water heaters on all the time, or turn on as needed? I turned ours off at night, and there was still enough hot water in the morning for a quick shower. And, when it ran out, it seemed to get back to "hot" within 10 minutes of turning it on.

Is it safe/prudent to leave it on all the time, or just turn on when needed?

Thanks,

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think you're going to find people who leave them on and others who don't. I turn mine on only as needed. It saves a little propane and I feel a little safer because my bed is directly over it.

However if it was very cold, and trailer occupied, I would run it to keep the compartment warmer for freeze protection.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'd guess you'll get various opinions on this. We turn it on when needed. If you're camping, you usually get up in the morning and go somewhere or do something. It seems wasteful to me to keep it on when you not even there. Propane, of course, is made from crude oil. With the price of oil always high and now sorta sky high, why keep water hot when you're not there? We typically fire it up after dinner to wash dishes. If we take showers, we leave it on long enough after that to cover the showers, then shut it off prior to the conclusion of the second shower. We don't see a need to keep heating water when we can see the need for it ending that day. It really comes down to how much you want to pay for convenience. If you place a very high value on the trailer being just like a house, maybe you keep it on 24/7. If you don't feel like wasting, then you'll be more inclined to match the time that it is on with actual, planned need.

Strictly from a safety point of view, I think you can run them 24/7. They're supposed to be safe. On the other hand, I personally would not want to lay in bed and hear the unit firing up periodically during the night in an effort to keep the water temp at the set temperature when there is likely no need.

Finally, I would only add that if you camp in places that demand use of the furnace and maybe you use propane (and not hook-up electricity) for the refrigerator, you'd want to ask yourself if you like going to propane stores to get tanks refilled more frequently than would otherwise be necessary.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There are two ways to look at it...does it take more propane to heat cold water to a hot temp...or is it more economical to keep the water at a constant hot temperature rather than starting from scratch every time you need it? Personally I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Personally, speaking, when we are camping we usually turn the water heater off when we don't need it. As mentioned above if it's near freezing we leave it on just for the added warmth it offers (and run hot water through the pipes before we hit the hay).

However you look at it, it is safe to leave it on all the time, however...especially in newer rigs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Our classic has the electric anode and I just keep it on the whole time we are camping. Its nice to have the hot water on demand. If we are using only the gas I fire it up about 20 minutes before needed.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You have to go outside with a lighter to start my water heater. We turn it on when we setup the trailer and turn it off when we are packing for the trip home. It only cycles on when you use some of the hot water in the tank. The rest of the time it keeps the water hot with just the pilot light burning.

It's nice to have hot water in the morning without heading out the door with a flashlight and a lighter.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The new rig has an electric option so I turn it on when we are camping with hookups. However when we are dry camping, I tend to light it only during times when we will use it...for example, if I leave it on at night, it will wake me when it fires up in the night.

If I didn't have an inside switch to light it, I would do like Richard and burn it all the time.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Do what works for you.

The main problem with leaving it on overnight is the burner noise which might wake some people up. I usually shut mine off at night when I'm on propane for this reason, unless it's cold enough for me to worry about lines freezing. When I have shore power, I run the electric element all night, because it takes longer to heat the water than the propane burner does, and because it doesn't make any noise.

For overnight the propane or electric use to keep the water hot is minimal.

I do shut everything off if I'm going to be away from the trailer for a few days, mainly out of concern that the tank could run dry if someone walks up and opens the outside faucet or something.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
It depends on whether we have power connections or not. Our water heater has both 110V and propane. If we have power we leave it on. If not, we turn it on as needed to save on the propane. Plus during the nite we don't want to hear it cycle on and off. It is insulated well enough that in the morning I have enough hot water for a shave.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You can tell when I'm in need of a bath: The water heater is turned on.

Lynn
Old 03-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I also just turn mine on once in the am and maybe once in the pm. the PO left it on all the time. I had one of the add on electric units but I took it out. thermostat did not work. the hwh is insulated well enough to stay warm all day and recovers very quickly, so that is the way I run it. might depend upon how well your thermostat works. mine tends to be too hot if I leave it on all the time
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I've done both, leave it on all day and night and in the summer I turn it on only when I need it. I like the sound so it doesn't bother me and if I'm going to die from an explosion, well I can't think of a better place to do it! I think their safe and don't worry about it.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We're fortunate to have both gas and electric capability. Assuming we are hooked up to shore power, we'll use both gas and electric to heat the tank quickly and then go to electric only for standby.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
When we had gas only, we'd turn it off and on as needed - I hate burning our propane.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I leave it on. I want that water piping hot when I want to use it. I don't mind burning the .25 cents of dino juice to keep my water hot for two days.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've found that, with my water heater, the propane pilot light usually keeps the tank hot - at least in the warmer summer months. On the other hand, if I'm hooked to shore power I run it on electric. It goes on when we're stopped and off when we're travelling.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
First one up in the morning turns it on. We turn it off after breakfast dishes. Back on again at dinner time, off again before retiring at night.

Works well for us.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I only have propane, and I fulltime. I leave mine on - and have for almost 5 years now. I've gone for six months on two tanks of propane (during summer). So between doing dishes and showering daily - I just don't think I'd save that much re-heating from cold vs maintaining the temperature.

I've run out of propane at night and found the tank of water still quite warm in the morning. Newer water heaters are well insulated so choose what works for you.

I'd turn it off if I were going to be away for a substantial length of time.

Paula
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I turn it on in the morning to heat things up, then turn it off and it usually keeps enough warm water for the things I need during the day.
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
I turn it on in the morning to heat things up, then turn it off and it usually keeps enough warm water for the things I need during the day.
dittto... what spenfolder said!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater