Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
Super jelly of the Truma! I would paint it. IMO, A water heater is something that should blend in, not be a focal point.
(which is why I need a Truma. I spend too much negative energy on the Girard)
The black is non-paintable. The white is paintable.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:01 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
West Olive , Michigan
Both black and white panels are paintable. Both panels are PC (polycarbonate) which is very paintable.
That said, black panels may need a white primer applied to minimize the coats of silver paint used.
Attached is an image of my black Truma door painted primer plus 3 coats of silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	433592  
Spartanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:16 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanfam View Post
Both black and white panels are paintable. Both panels are PC (polycarbonate) which is very paintable.
That said, black panels may need a white primer applied to minimize the coats of silver paint used.
Attached is an image of my black Truma door painted primer plus 3 coats of silver.
All I can say is the manual states paint only the white panels. I took it literally. Looks like you did ok.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:57 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
Upper Holland , Pennsylvania
not $1,200.00——Truma comfort cost is over $3,000.00
Chianti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:35 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Cold showers are good for stress, circulation, and a hit of adrenaline.

At least this is what I tell myself when that cold water hits during a Navy shower.

I wash my feet first with the cold water.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:47 AM   #66
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Every time I see this thread pop back to the top, I think the title really should be: "Girard On-Demand Water Heater SUCKS for Boondocking".

Because it really works well for most people when you have access to a water connection.

It would be great if Airstream would offer an optional "Boondockers" package with a traditional tanked water heater and propane refrigerator to satisfy that small but vocal segment of the market.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:24 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
It would be great if Airstream would offer an optional "Boondockers" package with a traditional tanked water heater and propane refrigerator to satisfy that small but vocal segment of the market.
Or, just offer a Truma AquaGo as an upgrade option. Problem solved...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Or, just offer a Truma AquaGo as an upgrade option. Problem solved...

Or AS switch to all Truma AquaGo Plus as the supplier of choice. Speaking from experience of now having a Truma, it is far far superior to the Girard. I had to spend $2,500 for the change, and although I would recommend that everyone consider this “upgrade”, I would rather have had it from the factory. The Truma is almost instant hot water. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #69

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Beaufort , South Carolina
Girard Temp Too High

I have the control panel on the tankless water heater set as low as it will go (95) and the water temperature is still too hot. The display steady increases from 95 up to about 110. Any ideas on how to remedy this other than install a conventional tank water heater?
Michelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #70
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelse View Post
I have the control panel on the tankless water heater set as low as it will go (95) and the water temperature is still too hot. The display steady increases from 95 up to about 110. Any ideas on how to remedy this other than install a conventional tank water heater?
If the control panel isn't holding the set-point, it sounds like you have a faulty component somewhere. Definitely recommend calling Girard
Old 08-17-2023, 06:09 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Could also be an issue with the incoming water temp being to high.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 10:54 PM   #72
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Could also be an issue with the incoming water temp being to high.
Here's what the manual says to troubleshoot:

Customer cannot control the temperature from set point, get too hot and then maybe too cold.

- Purge water lines.
- Water pressure to low. Some campgrounds have the water pressure very low. - - Try putting water in the fresh water tank
and running off the pump.
- Set temperature lower.
- Possible partial by-pass opened.
- Possible, outside shower faucets turned on and just the shower button closed. Same for inside shower.
- Possible, outlet temperature probe, defective. Have not confirmed this.
- Replace water heater.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf
Old 08-18-2023, 04:49 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
I had the same thing happen earlier this summer. I honestly thing it had to do with incoming water temp. We were in 90 degree plus heat. Water out of the spigot was warm even after running for several minutes. The water heater cannot then regulate properly. My previous trip just a few weeks earlier was at a higher elevation area and much cooler.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote