Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
2021+ Girard on demand water heater

Anyone out there with a 30 ft FC rear bedroom replace the factory tank-less Girard ( The ice cold fresh water wasting worthless unit ) with a Truma Aguago unit? And do you have pictures of the outside Vent door from Truma on the trailer? I have no problems with the interior install from Truma but I'm not paying till I see an Airstream unit completed. The factory RIVA Truma techs just want to come out and install it that day.

Thanks
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I can show you an exterior shot of a Truma that replaced the factory installed Girard unit on our 2021 Globetrotter 25 if that helps…
You should be aware that the plastic door and bezel of the Truma must be painted as it is unpainted as delivered. I took ours to a local auto body shop and picked a silver color that worked.
For what it is worth, the Truma is a great addition to the trailer. It works very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3694B3A-1111-4B58-A88D-15A0309952C5.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	411139  
Old 01-30-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks- So much

Thats a great picture! Helps alot. I have heard nothing but great reviews from Truma Owners. Nothing fantastic out of the Girard. The YouTube - All About RV's has a very good video on how they work as he compares the other models that he has had. He was spot on honest on the Girard. He had one and it's drawbacks are exactly what we experience. Mayne why the lines wer long at the Truma tent at the Tampa RV show?
Old 01-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i called Truma , they told me that they do NOT sell to end consumers.

they only will sell to a validated reseller.

has anyone been able to order one and do a self install?
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
When you wish Truma sends their local. RIVA installer out. They do it on site. So weather is a concern. I received a Airsteam Forum response as I started a thread on if anyone had a picture of the installed door. Very kind of them to show me on their 25 ft Globetrotter and their positive experience with the Truma.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I can show you an exterior shot of a Truma that replaced the factory installed Girard unit on our 2021 Globetrotter 25 if that helps…
You should be aware that the plastic door and bezel of the Truma must be painted as it is unpainted as delivered. I took ours to a local auto body shop and picked a silver color that worked.
For what it is worth, the Truma is a great addition to the trailer. It works very nicely.

This Truma installation looks great! Who did you use to purchase and install? People comment on Truma not having an exterior door that fits, but this looks great. What were the door mods required? I would definitely go with the Truma and replace the Girard.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
This Truma installation looks great! Who did you use to purchase and install? People comment on Truma not having an exterior door that fits, but this looks great. What were the door mods required? I would definitely go with the Truma and replace the Girard.
We had our Truma installed by our dealer, Colonial Airstream before we even took delivery. I’d read the reviews of the Girard and knew it wouldn’t work for the way we use the trailer so…
The only issue was that we wanted the trailer before they could get the door painted so we simply took it as it was delivered by Truma, unpainted. I then removed the door and had it painted once we were home. I was installing a Victron LiFePO4 battery system and their inverter charger so I had it done at that time.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Anyone out there with a 30 ft FC rear bedroom replace the factory tank-less Girard ( The ice cold fresh water wasting worthless unit ) with a Truma Aguago unit? And do you have pictures of the outside Vent door from Truma on the trailer? I have no problems with the interior install from Truma but I'm not paying till I see an Airstream unit completed. The factory RIVA Truma techs just want to come out and install it that day.

Thanks
Surf the web. I don't remember where I saw it but there is a door for Truma heaters that fit AS's.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Once again the forum comes to the rescue. We are in our 3rd night with our 2022 GT and the amount of wasted water is simply staggering. No way we could boondock with this thing. Even If you use the low flow option on the shower head, the heater cuts off and you freeze.

I was considering a simple expansion tank after the heater so there is a reserve of warm water to buffer the heater lag time. Would appreciate and feedback on who can install the Trauma units and what we should expect to pay for it.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Is it me or is the Globetrotter badge not parallel to the other lines of the trailer? Nit picking, but my eyes pick on things not plumb or parallel? Just wondering or if I need to get the eye exam I have been avoiding....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I just purchased one of these for the kitchen sink and shower.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
Old 02-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Is it me or is the Globetrotter badge not parallel to the other lines of the trailer? Nit picking, but my eyes pick on things not plumb or parallel? Just wondering or if I need to get the eye exam I have been avoiding....
I think it is simply the angle and cropping of the picture…
It looks fine in person!
Old 02-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Glad it is fine in person. Good luck with the project.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I just purchased one of these for the kitchen sink and shower.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
I just read the details on this. Can you share what the install looks like? Did you interrupt the water fill for the return or did you tap just before the water pump? Sounds like this will be a great interim solution until the Truma can be figured out. Perhaps even avoid that need.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
????!!

How can it work when the Hot water heater needs a steady flow to turn on and heat.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Iola , Texas
Replace ‘20 W/H

Anyone know if you can replace the std 6-gallon tank version with a Truma tankless? I’ll check the interwebs, but woul love to hear if anyone has experience doing it.
2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
Aggies in a Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
How can it work when the Hot water heater needs a steady flow to turn on and heat.
There are several key differences in the Truma and the Girard.
First, the Truma includes a very small plastic tank of maybe a liter size that it uses to keep heated water in. This functions like a flywheel in the system smoothing out the high and low temperatures.
Secondly, it’s burner turns on at a lower rate of flow. This essentially gets the system online again faster than the Girard when you first turn it on.
Finally, it utilizes a larger output burner.
All of these features contribute to a much, much nicer Navy shower experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies in a Cloud View Post
Anyone know if you can replace the std 6-gallon tank version with a Truma tankless? I’ll check the interwebs, but woul love to hear if anyone has experience doing it.
I’d call Truma and get the names of a few of their larger dealers. They will be able to answer that question.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
I just read the details on this. Can you share what the install looks like? Did you interrupt the water fill for the return or did you tap just before the water pump? Sounds like this will be a great interim solution until the Truma can be figured out. Perhaps even avoid that need.
I haven’t got around to installing it yet. I have no access dump directly into the fresh tank (recommended). My plan is to add a tee at the intake of the water pump(which others have done)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #19

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Canton , Ohio
We just complete our 1 week maiden voyage in our 2022 30 bunk and are ready to throw the water heater in the trash. I’d trade it for the conventional tank model we had on our 2017 any day. The amount of waisted water was unbelievable, and envelope time we tried to conserve by using less water flow the heater kicks off. I also loved the cold shock envy time the shower pause button is pressed ug. Looking for solutions, might try the watermizer for the shower or just go with a better system. We love the new trailer but the water heater is awful, especially when you can’t option from the factory anything else.
Boatdrinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
2021+ Girard on demand water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
We just complete our 1 week maiden voyage in our 2022 30 bunk and are ready to throw the water heater in the trash. I’d trade it for the conventional tank model we had on our 2017 any day. The amount of waisted water was unbelievable, and envelope time we tried to conserve by using less water flow the heater kicks off. I also loved the cold shock envy time the shower pause button is pressed ug. Looking for solutions, might try the watermizer for the shower or just go with a better system. We love the new trailer but the water heater is awful, especially when you can’t option from the factory anything else.

I love everything about our ‘22 International 25FBT except the worthless for boondocking water heater. I’m going to solve it by having a Truma authorized dealer install one of their units. As read in this post and others, people who have made this switch seem very pleased. I know the Girard is not cutting it. As I said, I love everything about our trailer except that.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote