Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Girard E3 Error Code

Hey all.

Was all happy that our latest AS was problem free after 3 outings but after my stabilizer jack problem posted on this thread during our 4th trip, I’m adding to it the Girard tankless water heater not longer producing hot water and generating error code E3 on the thermostat.

This code in the manual stipulates that water is too hot at the faucet and shutting off the system. I tried to cut the power to the trailer, cut the power at the physical switch on the heater and on the thermostat, lowered the temperature to 100 on the thermostat and also left it alone for the night. All to no avail. Still not doing anything this morning.

Anyone had it and solved it? If so, how?
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Well, I think I solved it myself. Lots of posts online about Girard issues but very few on this specific error code.

I did come across one in my research that suggested air in the lines could cause this error by providing the wrong temperature readout.

So, I turned off the water heater, open a hot faucet and let water run through it for a while. Error gone and the water heater is working again.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks for taking the time to document the issue and resolution.

Was this error immediately on connecting up at a new campsite? I wonder if it would be a good practice to run both hot and cold faucets for a short time after the water is turned on? I typically check water pressure by filling the toilet bowl; I’m always surprised how much air comes out before it’s all vented.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to document the issue and resolution.

Was this error immediately on connecting up at a new campsite? I wonder if it would be a good practice to run both hot and cold faucets for a short time after the water is turned on? I typically check water pressure by filling the toilet bowl; I’m always surprised how much air comes out before it’s all vented.
Nope. Was after 24 hours. Did the dishes with warm water and then wife took a shower and got plenty of hot water. Then it was my turn to get in the show but then error code appeared.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed that issue.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
As simple as it sounds instant hot water heaters only need three things to work: Electricity, propane and water flow. About 1 to 1.5 gals per minute. Loss of any of these will shut you down. Always start with max hot, then modulate the water with cold. I sure like mine at home and the trailer.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks You

Thank you for that information. I have that system it is a love hate system compared to our old faithful gas slectric 6 gallon tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Well, I think I solved it myself. Lots of posts online about Girard issues but very few on this specific error code.

I did come across one in my research that suggested air in the lines could cause this error by providing the wrong temperature readout.

So, I turned off the water heater, open a hot faucet and let water run through it for a while. Error gone and the water heater is working again.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Well, oddly enough, we received this error code E3 from our Girard Water heater system this morning. Our rig is a 2022 23GT FBT, bought new.

While doing the dishes this morning, faucet was operating normally. At some point, I was washing my hands in the bathroom. I heard the remote "beep" and saw code E3 flashing on the display. There are normally three icons flashing on the bottom of the display, this time there was only one (what looks like a shower wand). DW had the faucet open in the kitchen full on hot.

We shut off the faucets, the beep stopped, and the remote went back to normal state (blank.) I checked the propane tanks, we were still on the green of Tank A.

I then turned the kitchen sink back on, full hot, and the heater supplied hot water after a few seconds (a few = 10-15, as per normal). All three icons were flashing on the remote. Outside, I heard the heater fan start, the clicks from the ignitor then the whoosh as the gas fired. All normal.

I'll keep an eye on this but wanted to add the above in case we have any troubles down the road. Aside from this issue, the hot water heater has been operating satisfactorily.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Columbus , Ohio
Just wanted to say "thank you" to the original poster for both the problem and follow up solution. We had the E3 code pop up this morning after three days at a campsite and after using hot water successfully several times earlier this morning.

Solved it using the "turn off heater and purge the lines" approach.

Thanks again!
Iron Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Buckeye View Post
Just wanted to say "thank you" to the original poster for both the problem and follow up solution. We had the E3 code pop up this morning after three days at a campsite and after using hot water successfully several times earlier this morning.

Solved it using the "turn off heater and purge the lines" approach.

Thanks again!
Great to hear it was helpful!