Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ashburn , Virginia
Water Pump Pressure

Hi, my wife and I just acquired a 2017 24GT and we're still becoming acquainted with the systems. If your fresh water system hasn't been used in a while, how long does it take your water pump to achieve the proper pressure and cut off? Mine is taking a long time (60 seconds until I cut it off) and it's making a sloshing noise at the pump itself--both unusual compared to my experience with the water pump on my boat. I'm wondering if a) I have a leak, b) the pump is failing, or c) this is fine and it's operating as it should. I am able to get water output at the spigot, though the pressure may be a little weak. When we did the walkthrough at the dealer less than 10 days ago, the system was at pressure and working fine.

Thanks!

P.J.
Ashburn, VA
vaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
Hi, I think I figured it out. I attached my hose to shore water and turned it on. Then I activated the water pump. It wouldn't cut off and kept making a fluttering/sloshing noise. It sounds like a fresh water pump replacement is in my near future. Any thoughts or advice are certainly welcome!
Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
25-30 psi approx

Sounds like air in the system?

Make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of fresh water (not the pressurized shore water connection).

Bleed the air out including the water heater, starting with spigot closest to pump.

Make sure you have full battery power

You sound like you may already know all this, so no annoyance intended!

Note: the pressurized shore water connection does not fill the water tank, and the pump does not draw water from the shore connection (at least, not on my 2004 International).
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
another possibility is that the prior winterization removed all water from the path, so you might need to "prime" the pump to get it going. That happens to me after a winter, I dont pump in antifreeze, I remove the water all together, so each spring, I have to remove the water "intake" line from the pump, connect a short hose to the pump, and hand pour in a cup or so of water, then run the pump for a few seconds to get that water into the plumbing, then reconnect the main water line, and soon after all is well. I would give that a try before replacing the pump.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I also realize that it may be due to a clogged filter. I'll keep working on simpler possibilities before replacing.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #6

2014 22' FB Sport
Woonsocket , RI
Hello

I am having an issue with my water pump, I hear it running, but nothing comes out of the sinks (only some small dripping). I know the original question was different, but would you say this could help my issue as well? Would you experience the same thing after weatherization ? The previous owner never used the water pump & he had the trailer for two years.

Thanks
august07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by august07 View Post
Hello

I am having an issue with my water pump, I hear it running, but nothing comes out of the sinks (only some small dripping). I know the original question was different, but would you say this could help my issue as well? Would you experience the same thing after weatherization ? The previous owner never used the water pump & he had the trailer for two years.

Thanks
I had a self-inflicted problem like yours. After de-winterizing, I took the cap off the water pump screen to pour some water in to prime the pump. What I didnít realize was the black gasket fell off the clear plastic cover.

After troubleshooting I found the gasket. Reinstalled it and the pump started working again. Might not solve your problem but itís an easy thing to check. ALSO - make sure the hose fittings are tight or the pump can suck air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA243B38-71C2-44CE-8A1B-5FA5DD727EEF.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	422134  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by august07 View Post
Hello

Thanks
Here are some possible issues, assuming your fresh water tank is not empty. If your hot water heater is empty, and not in bypass, the first thing the pump will do is fill the water heater. This can take several minutes. When you turn the pump on open one of the hot water faucets. If you get a lot of sputtering from the faucet the water heater tank is filling. Leave the faucet open until you get a steady stream of water.

Another possibility is the winterizing valve (if equipped) is open. This valve allows the water pump to draw in anti-freeze from a bottle. If the valve is open the pump would only draw in air from the intake tube. Good Luck.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2024 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
Here are some possible issues, assuming your fresh water tank is not empty. If your hot water heater is empty, and not in bypass, the first thing the pump will do is fill the water heater. This can take several minutes. When you turn the pump on open one of the hot water faucets. If you get a lot of sputtering from the faucet the water heater tank is filling. Leave the faucet open until you get a steady stream of water.

Another possibility is the winterizing valve (if equipped) is open. This valve allows the water pump to draw in anti-freeze from a bottle. If the valve is open the pump would only draw in air from the intake tube. Good Luck.

Thanks for this post. Was trying to figure out why the system wasnít pressuring. Now it is solved!!
navychief01 is offline   Reply With Quote