Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Clearsource water filter

Since I have to replace a leaky section of the city water line under the rear bed I ordered one of these to place there as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5302.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	337261

Didn’t find any comments by anyone on the forum but maybe someone else has tried this system. They also have an exterior system that comes with a sturdy casing/stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5306.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	337260

https://www.clearsourcerv.com/produc...filter-systems
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I see that your system filters out "cryptosporidium, giardia cysts, and more" which is better than a filter that just improves the water's taste. We use the Seagull IV system with a dedicated drinking water faucet as I didn't think it was necessary to filter all of the water (both hot and cold).
Old 04-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
Didn’t find any comments by anyone on the forum but maybe someone else has tried this system.

@my3sonsdad - we use the exterior ClearSource system and love it! The two-stage filtration and no more chlorine (smell) makes me a happy camper! Since we travel in our AS full-time, we are confident that we can fill our fresh water tank (and our supplemental water bladder, if needed) with the cleanest water we can get by using this filtration system. We also use a travel Berkey Filter at the kitchen sink for drinking/cooking water. Overkill? I don’t think so, but we place a high value on getting the best water we can into our coach and our bodies.

We are considering a portable water softener to save our plumbing from the effects of hard water scale. We’ll see...
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
@SewStream, great to hear! Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
@SewStream did you use the clearsource only when filling the fresh water tank or also inline with city water line entry?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
The filter housing is a pretty standard set up for a lot of companies. The key is to get the right filter elements to clean out what you are targeting. I personally prefer a white housing as I have read that the clear housings can let light in and grow nasties on the filter elements....again "I have read". So that is my preference.
But do believe clear or white housing the filters are worth their cost. I have seen some pretty interesting stuff on filter elements after one weekend at some campgrounds.
My message - shop around for the housing that fits your budget and read as much as you can about the filters you are putting into them.
I have found the RVwaterfilterstore.com to have advice I trust - absolutely no financial or personal interest in them except that I buy from them.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
The unit just arrived today, and is it beefy! Unlike picture above, the back mount is a full length stainless steel back plate.

I will be mounting it under a twin bed so not too concerned about light exposure. They offer several others filters for rust & sulfur specifically and a 3 canister system for about $75 more. This was about all I wanted to spend at this point but we’ll see as we gain experience with it and our needs change.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Mounting it inside keep in mind to be diligent in keeping fresh o rings on the filters. Otherwise they frequently get a flat spot and dribble a bit.
I put mine outside in a Rubbermaid Action Packer with holes cut for me to feed the hoses through. That lets it slip up under the trailer and I can keep it clean, then have a ready made storage bin to put in the back of the truck with my water hoses.
The stainless is a nice touch. Mine is painted steel so after 6 years has a few little spots starting to form.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Thanks - I ordered extra rings and filters.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Mounting it inside keep in mind to be diligent in keeping fresh o rings on the filters. Otherwise they frequently get a flat spot and dribble a bit.
I put mine outside in a Rubbermaid Action Packer with holes cut for me to feed the hoses through. That lets it slip up under the trailer and I can keep it clean, then have a ready made storage bin to put in the back of the truck with my water hoses.
The stainless is a nice touch. Mine is painted steel so after 6 years has a few little spots starting to form.
Great idea

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote