Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Cracked Moen water filter = no water use in our trailrr!

Our Moen kitchen water filter cracked in a freeze. Is there a way to use campground water without the filter? We're camping and can't turn on camp water without flooding our interior. I can't believe the the entire water system is not usable because of a cracked filter!
Annabellelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Assuming you are talking about the undersink filter, you should have a piece of straight tubing to put in its place. It comes with the trailer and screws into the fittings that hold in the filter. At least, that's the way it is with my '15 27 FC. Alternatively, many RV repair places should carry replacement filters.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Your trailer should have come with a filter bypass hose...look in that box of goodies that Airstream provided with your new trailer. I bet you will find it in there.

Just remove the filter and install this bypass hose...all good again.

We don't install this filter and just leave the bypass installed. We never drink the trailer park well water anyway so no need for the filter. We always drink bottle water when traveling. Safer!

I use a filter outside attached to the hose to clean out any contaminates entering the trailer.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If the filter froze and burst, you ought to check out the rest of your plumbing for leaks. After you replace or bypass the filter, one way to check for internal leaks is to disconnect the external water supply and make sure you have some fresh water in your storage tank. Then turn on the water pump and leave it on. It should shut off shortly when pressure is built up in the lines, and remain off for hours. If the pump keeps recycling on its own, you may be losing pressure through a leak (keeping in mind a bad check valve at the water pump can allow water to return to the water tank).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To have been cold enough to freeze the filter, a large volume of water, you have to check the toilet flush valve in the base of the toilet, the head of the pump, and any metallic fixtures. If the plastic piping froze it will likely have pushed out the ends at an elbow.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We don't install this filter and just leave the bypass installed. We never drink the trailer park well water anyway so no need for the filter. We always drink bottle water when traveling. Safer!

I use a filter outside attached to the hose to clean out any contaminates entering the trailer.
Just curious, do you cook with the trailer park water? coffee? We use bottled for drinking and coffee but use the park water for cooking.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
ToyHouse

2014 27' FB Classic
Quesnel , British Columbia
Apart from the warnings about possible other freeze damage, if it is the kitchen sink filter unit......look way in the back of sink cabinet and there may be a shutoff valve plumbed specifically to isolate this Moen filter. Our AS has this valve but it is hard to see it at first glance.
.....Tom
ThomasHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm not sure if you have told us if you are talking about an undersink filter, or one built into the faucet.

We have the one built into the faucet.

We never use it (we buy drinking water in 5 gal containers locally) but I think if it is split due to freezing your faucet will not function properly.

You can possibly get a replacement filter if still available from Moen. Otherwise, maybe there is a way to hook up a short piece of hose to replace he filter so the faucet will work as normal - maybe just patch up the damaged filter somehow!

I run plumbing antifreeze thru ours each winter to protect it - as mentioned, we don't use it for drinking water anyway. Maybe the antifreeze might not be good for the filter if you do use it for drinking water, although the plumbing antifreeze is supposedly not harmful.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Just curious, do you cook with the trailer park water? coffee? We use bottled for drinking and coffee but use the park water for cooking.
Depending on the park, I usually use camp water not through the filter
Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHoward View Post
Apart from the warnings about possible other freeze damage, if it is the kitchen sink filter unit......look way in the back of sink cabinet and there may be a shutoff valve plumbed specifically to isolate this Moen filter. Our AS has this valve but it is hard to see it at first glance.
.....Tom
Thanks...was able to find a replacement Moen at a local plumbing supply place!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm not sure if you have told us if you are talking about an undersink filter, or one built into the faucet.

We have the one built into the faucet.

We never use it (we buy drinking water in 5 gal containers locally) but I think if it is split due to freezing your faucet will not function properly.

You can possibly get a replacement filter if still available from Moen. Otherwise, maybe there is a way to hook up a short piece of hose to replace he filter so the faucet will work as normal - maybe just patch up the damaged filter somehow!

I run plumbing antifreeze thru ours each winter to protect it - as mentioned, we don't use it for drinking water anyway. Maybe the antifreeze might not be good for the filter if you do use it for drinking water, although the plumbing antifreeze is supposedly not harmful.
Thanks...we put lots if anti freeze in all drains but didn't remive the filter so ut cracked. We were able to find a Moen replacement at a local plumbing supply place and installed it....took my shower!!!