Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Water Pressure Regulator & External Water Filter

Hi Everyone:
Do I need to get a water pressure regulator for my AS? Also, would an exteranl water filter help in keeping all the pollutants out of the AS? Any thoughts?

Thanks
"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Yes, get a water pressure regulator.

If your 2007 Safari is like my 2005 Safari there is no reason to rush and get an external water filter, and you may choose never to get one. At least in our Safari, there is a cartridge filter in the kitchen faucet, the only faucet we use for drinking or cooking.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Yes, you should get one. I was told when I bought my AS to always use a pressure regulator so I always have. Not sure about the filter though. Have others tried them?
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Yes, you want a pressure regulator. Get the brass one. It is available at Wal-Mart for about $9. The filter is also good idea. The blue one at Wal-Mart is about $17.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi safarijim....

your trailer has a built in pressure regulator...

outfitted during assembly...

some folks like to use another one to protect the external water hose...

using 2 regulators in line this way sometimes causes water flow conflicts...

so i seldom use a 2nd pressure regulator in 25 years with an airstream.

as 2 water filters, that is the classic 'personal choice'

yes there is a small carbon filter in many sink faucets...

but adding another filter outside will improve all the water...

some of these external water filters require the extra pressure regulator while others do not...

water flow will usually be slower using an external filter...

but given the quality of some water sources, it IS worth the decreased flow...

most external filters remove chlorine and iron, while some filter many other things...

don't confuse filters with purification to remove bacterial or other critters....

that is a whole 'nother topic...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
What airishuman said. The unit SHOULD have a built in regulator, (it is part of the one piece unit at the water inlet). It normally works well, and is normally rated at 40 psi. If you are at a place of very high pressure, using a regultor right at the water spigot would protect your hose. Now, campgrounds get their water from a number of supplies, and you have no way of knowing where. It could be municipal service, private service, well, etc. One of the quickest ways to ruin a pump, or fill up the water outlet aireators is getting sand in them, and well supplied water is an excellent source for sand. I have 2 Airstreams right now, and I have an outside filter, (Culligan from Lowe's) and I buy the filters that are supposed to clean out sediment and microbes. I do not worry about removing chlorine.
If you do a google search, you might find an image of the pressure regulator/water inlet part.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I use an adjustable regulator set for 52 psi while the tag on the Sovereign regulator says it is set for 45 psi. Some people recommend that you put your regulator on the faucet to determine psi and if low, delete the regulator because it restricts flow. I choose to leave it on in case the pressure were to rise and the trailer regulator were to fail. The regular I use is a Watts H560 adjustable and rebuildable unit. You can get other Watts regulators from their site with higher flow rates if you want.

I started with the Camping World or Walmart sold Taste Pure filter (blue in the pics) which came with a short hose with a spring around it. While the filter did great on my '77 Excella 500, the short hose with spring around it for support always leaked. Matter of fact, I have purchased 3 more of those short spring surrounded hoses and never found one that didn't leak. The hose supplied is junk. The filter on the other hand is simple and really works. I used it for 2 years off and on with no problem although they recommend you replace it every year.

I replaced this unit, which was never plugged up by sediment, with the dual unit pictured from RVwebstore.com, Water & Power Outfitters (I believe) and it has worked fine. It takes longer to set up and longer to drain before leaving the campsite than the Taste Pure but does an excellent job of sediment filtration and removal of the funny taste in some water. The clear filter on the right is the sediment filter which can filter down to either 1 or 5 microns depending on which filter I put in it. Oh, did I mention I also have a single unit I put in front of this dual unit if the water looks rather nasty? Gadgets, Gadgets! The filter on the left is a cyst reduction/bacteriostatic unit which attacks cysts, bacteria and cleans up the taste. You can get the 10" filters in a combination sediment/KDF bacteriostatic unit if you want for the single canister unit.

Hope this helps give you some idea of some of the stuff available to keep sediment out of your water system/pump, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filterregulator 002.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	31714   Click image for larger version

Name:	filterregulator 001.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	31715  

Click image for larger version

Name:	filterregulator 003.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	31716   Click image for larger version

Name:	filterregulator 004.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	31717  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
we run both a pressure regulator and filter off the hose bib. We blew out our shower hose (gosh ... what great pressure the shower has...oops hose separated!!) and like the idea of all the water coming in our coach having been filtered.....showering, brushing teeth etc. We also have a filter under the sink for the single spout which we use for coffee, dog water, etc.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote