Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Dripping from belly pan

2018 classic 33

Came back after being away for an hour or so. The smell in the rig was really bad. It had the smell of a sewer. Black tank 44% (had not dumped in 3 days) Gray tank 38% (first use after sensor replacement by AS). Flushed toilet no issue there. Dometic indicator above the toilet was not red either.

Decided to dump tanks to see if that helped. If you stand facing the dump values and look under the rig you could see dripping from the belly pan. There is a small access door secured by screws and this is were the drip came from. A small puddle had developed under this area.

After dumping the smell went away and dripping ended thereafter. If anyone can help with the following questions it would be helpful.

Do you have drop the belly pan to change the sensor(s) on the grey tank?

Has anyone experienced this drip and smell inside the rig and how was it fixed?

If the black tank sensor failed and 44% was really 100+ percent could this have caused the issue? I checked the vent and no sewage was present on the roof.

Thanks for all the help
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:41 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrews768 View Post
There is a small access door secured by screws and this is were the drip came from. A small puddle had developed under this area.
Any chance for a pic of the access door?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you have a leak. Black tank will hold a lot more than 3 days use. I doubt if the access panel was there when the trailer was made. Whoever changed the sensor probably cut the access hole? Any way you need to get into the access area and find the leak and fix it. My offhand guess is they made the leak when they changed the sensor in the gray tank. There is a lot of cutting and drilling and bumping parts involved in working in that area. Would not be hard to drill into a line or tank. Gray water stinks too so not sure which system your leak is in now, To me it would be a must fix right now deal. Maybe the people who changed the sensor will fix it?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Checked with AS

The access Panel is to service the valves and indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think you have a leak. Black tank will hold a lot more than 3 days use. I doubt if the access panel was there when the trailer was made. Whoever changed the sensor probably cut the access hole? Any way you need to get into the access area and find the leak and fix it. My offhand guess is they made the leak when they changed the sensor in the gray tank. There is a lot of cutting and drilling and bumping parts involved in working in that area. Would not be hard to drill into a line or tank. Gray water stinks too so not sure which system your leak is in now, To me it would be a must fix right now deal. Maybe the people who changed the sensor will fix it?
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You can put fresh water in each tank with two different food colorings in each tank, then put a catch pan under the drip to determine which tank is leaking.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrews768 View Post
The access Panel is to service the valves and indicators.
Can you remove the panel and inspect for leak source?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I had a similar problem (sewer smell and dripping from the belly pan) and discovered that the black tank flush line (where it penetrates the black tank) had not been installed correctly on my 2017 27'FC. Since it was Under warranty JC cut a circular hole in the belly pan, right underneath the connection, and tightened it. Be careful, the pan is about 1/2" away from the tank.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
What if both are leaking? Do one at a time. I don't know.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote