Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
busted pipes

Hey all

My Saturday started out like most. I started picking away at projects on my '73 Argosy. I finished the deadbolt installation and decided to install my new city water connector so that I could hook up and test the fresh water system for the first time. I haven't connected the new water tank so I soldered a brass cap on the end of that line. i thought that I could even try the water heater today too...

1. attach garden hose 2. turn off all faucets 3. turn on garden hose 4. run to trailer to check for leaks 5. investigate gushing waterfall sound

No leaks inside but outside water is pouring out of the belly pan

Is there a drain valve under there that I missed? (please, please, please)

The leak is somewhere between the water inlet (under the bathroom closet) and under the stove. I see that those 2 pipes actually run in front of the black water tank to around the front of the shower pan but directly behind the toe kick around the perimeter of the bathroom.

http://photos7.flickr.com/7525007_b2b3726c9a_o.jpg

HOW IN THE WORLD DO I REPLACE THOSE PIPES?

Thanks for any help that you can offer,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
hmmmm

Steve - on the off chance, is there a set of valves in the way dark back corner of your closet in the bathroom - almost under the counter? In my 26ft, there are two valves (that leak by the way) for draining my water system. They dump right behind the water heater (which is on the road side on mine) from the belly pan. I thought I had a good leak this year when hooked up to city water, but after MY initial panic, I found the valves.

However, your leak sounds like it's coming from inside the belly wrap. I'd PM Janet or Gary ("Janet's husband") who have a minuet. I know Gary re-did all of his plumbing with PEX. I'm sure he'd clue you in on how he did it.

Great job on the lock! I was looking over your install.

FYI - I've got just about all the paint off my Argosy now. It's starting to look good - I really like how the outside panels look in aluminum. I know it sounds weird, but the rivets and the panel lines really "pop out" and appeal to my mechanical appreciation of things..... I've got to get a life!
Happy Easter -
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Keep us posted on what you find. I've been taking out all kinds of pipig on My 76. They replace it with radiator hose. I've found only one drain valve @ the base of the potable water tank. (front mounted)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #4

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
... I've found only one drain valve @ the base of the potable water tank. (front mounted)
I have 2 drain valves (hot+cold) just above where the city water comes in which is in the floor of the bathroom closet. I'll double check but the gusher was way over in the other corner...coming out around the shower drain water trap. And the huge trickling sound was under the tub. There is a plastic cover that covers the trap which drops below the belly pan. I'll remove it tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steve,

The toe kick is easy to remove. You start by removing the toilet. Then the cabinet that contains the sink, the sink and cabinet are all one piece. Then the top of the toe kick (which is attached to the face) can come out after you find the three or more screws that are holding it to the floor either under or thru the carpet. The shower kick is easier, screws in the floor and a short section of trim.

There are a hot and cold water line that run behind the ABS wall behind the toilet. This requires less total removal of the interior, but many more rivets to remove. The trim in 80% of the bathroom would need to come out. These normally T off the lines to the sink in the bathroom

Good luck finding the leak
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 AM   #6

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thanks Brett for the blow by blow. I guess I should try and figure out which lines are leaking: the ones to the shower or the kitchen. I'll do some more investigation before practically gutting the bathroom but I guess I'll do it if I have to. Although I'm not completely against the idea of surface mounting pipes either

Steve
Old 03-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
steve

does your trailer have a pressure regulator in it? how about the "pop off" pressure relief?

perhaps it is stuck open?

john
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Thanks Brett for the blow by blow. I guess I should try and figure out which lines are leaking: the ones to the shower or the kitchen. I'll do some more investigation before practically gutting the bathroom but I guess I'll do it if I have to. Although I'm not completely against the idea of surface mounting pipes either
Steve
Steve

My $0.02
Just a hint for finding the break with out getting drenched.
Make an adaptor for your air compressor to city water inlet. Charge the lines and listen for the leak might give you a better idea of the position. Help in winterizing also.
You can get the parts for a air chuck to hose adaptor at your local ACE hardware or the like.
You don't need a lot of pressure keep it down to 30psi or less. High volume is good though.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #9

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
does your trailer have a pressure regulator in it? how about the "pop off" pressure relief? perhaps it is stuck open?
I looked, and unless it's hidden way out of site behind the tub I don't think that I have a pop off valve. I did just install a new city water connector which has a regulator built in.

I was able to get the toe kick off from in front of the black water tank under the toilet and I didn't see any obvious splits in the pipe. I'm thinking now that it's the shower pipes. Tomorrow I'll pick up fittings so that I can run air into the water lines and listen for the leaks. Thanks to Janet's better half for that idea

Steve

Update: connected air and found leak behind toe kick by shower pan. Can't see leak but it sounds like a big one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010041.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	11220   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010039.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	11221  

Old 03-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Keep us posted on what you find. I've been taking out all kinds of pipig on My 76. They replace it with radiator hose. I've found only one drain valve @ the base of the potable water tank. (front mounted)
I have pulled out more radiator hose repairs then what there is radiator hose in a car! I cannot believe the the PO's let it get as bad as it did! I have one split that is over two inches long!
I am replacing everything, right down to the shower lines, with PEX. I did, however, run CPVC from the freshwater tank back to the water heater. CPVC is more rigid and I like that better considering my pump is located in the front dinette cabinet.
In a Minuet you will find that there are fewer valves than what is in the standard Argosy. I restored a 1977 Argosy 22 and there were three drains in the plumbing. They were original as I had known this trailer since it was new.
I still have all of the old copper from that trailer. I am now amassing more copper. At 50 cents/pound I am gonna have a small fortune!
I hated playing with copper before the days of CPVC. Copper swells when it freezes and NEVER returns to its original dimensions. I have seen CPVC that had frozen and broke. You did not have to guess where it was broken and it wasn't all swollen and distorted for three feet in either direction. I just cut out the areas that was bad, put in a couple of couplings and a new section of CPVC and POOF! no more broken CPVC!
I like the PEX because it goes around the curves REALLY well!!!!
For all those that like copper, you can keep it. Ever try to use a micro-sized tubing cutter, (because there is NO ROOM for a regular-sized cutter), in a Minuet's corner closet? TOTAL horse-hockey! Out with the copper and in with the PEX!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Steve

My $0.02
Just a hint for finding the break with out getting drenched.
Make an adaptor for your air compressor to city water inlet. Charge the lines and listen for the leak might give you a better idea of the position. Help in winterizing also.
You can get the parts for a air chuck to hose adaptor at your local ACE hardware or the like.
You don't need a lot of pressure keep it down to 30psi or less. High volume is good though.
They do make a slick little adaptor for just that available from your local RV shop called a Blow out Plug

But the gadget Steve has built looks good to me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Steve,
I’ve got the entire interior out of mine. The PO re-plumbed “part” of the old copper with pex. He chose not to re-plumb the shower. After completely removing the shower, I found out why. The solder had failed on several of the old copper joints; specifically, the shower mixing valve. He had bypassed the shower with the new pex and the shower was not capable of being used. The only way to get to this mixing valve is to remove the entire shower/tub area. I hope this isn’t your problem. The fix is tough.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #13

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
The only way to get to this mixing valve is to remove the entire shower/tub area. I hope this isn’t your problem. The fix is tough.
I hesitate to show this picture because its brutality may offend more sensitive viewers.

I beg to differ Jim...I will replace my valve from the front. I am going to cut a piece of aluminum to cover the gastly hole and mount a new mixing valve to. Of course it will be well sealed with Sikaflex.

I now have access to all my copper and am considering replacment with PEX.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010040.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	11223  
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Steve's looks WAY cooler than the standard blow-out plug.
Plus you can attach the air nozzle away from the side of the trailer.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
I hesitate to show this picture because its brutality may offend more sensitive viewers.

I beg to differ Jim...I will replace my valve from the front. I am going to cut a piece of aluminum to cover the gastly hole and mount a new mixing valve to. Of course it will be well sealed with Sikaflex.

Steve
Steve,

You wanna make two of those nifty aluminum covers?
I may be needing one for mine when I am done!
Like I said before... Out with the copper and in with the PEX!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:

Steve
Gotta love innovation. That is one way of getting at it. Can you see the whole run? Now is the time to replace with flexible!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #17

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
You wanna make two of those nifty aluminum covers?
Sure Lou, I'd be glad to. The reason the hole is so big is because there was a large piece of particle board backing up the mixing valve handles I chopped it into 3 pieces with a chisel to get it out. I'm guessing that replacing it with stiff aluminum screwed to the face of the bathroom plastic will be plenty strong. The edges should overlap about 3/4 of an inch.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010038.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	11226  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Sure Lou, I'd be glad to. The reason the hole is so big is because there was a large piece of particle board backing up the mixing valve handles I chopped it into 3 pieces with a chisel to get it out. I'm guessing that replacing it with stiff aluminum screwed to the face of the bathroom plastic will be plenty strong. The edges should overlap about 3/4 of an inch.

Steve
Cool beans, buddy!
I don't have such a large hole though.
What are the dimensions of your hole?
The plastic on that part seems to be pretty sturdy so I would think that attaching the aluminum right to it would be strong enough.
What type of mixing valve are you going to use?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #19

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Hiding hack job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
What are the dimensions of your hole?
What type of mixing valve are you going to use?
Hi Lou, I cut out about 12" x 5" and I'll probably just buy a cheap valve from Camping World where they have them for about $15. I think that I have one of their stores within 30 minutes so I'm hoping to finally visit.

Please let me know how big a piece you need. The aluminum sheet that I have is .080 (@1/8th") and I can predrill and countersink the perimeter holes but you'll probably want to locate and drill the valve holes yourself. I'll pick you up some stainless screws when I buy mine.

I really appreciate your generosity and I'm glad to help you out if I can

Steve
Old 03-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Hi Lou, I cut out about 12" x 5" and I'll probably just buy a cheap valve from Camping World where they have them for about $15. I think that I have one of their stores within 30 minutes so I'm hoping to finally visit.

Please let me know how big a piece you need. The aluminum sheet that I have is .080 (@1/8th") and I can predrill and countersink the perimeter holes but you'll probably want to locate and drill the valve holes yourself. I'll pick you up some stainless screws when I buy mine.

I really appreciate your generosity and I'm glad to help you out if I can

Steve
Steve,
Go ahead and make mine the same size. That is gonna look so cool in the shower. I have decided to change out the trim to match!
I should be finishing up my plumbing this evening. Yes, I am going out there now at 11 p.m.! I am NUTS! I just want to get this thing done.
I appreciate you taking the time to make it for me.
I guess that is a fair swap now, huh?
Let me know if there is anything else you need. I am always willing to let you have what I got left over!