Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
'64 Overlander fresh water tank location

Just joined the Airstream club with the purchase of our 1964 26' Overlander. It needs quite a bit of work, but think we're up for it. First thing I wanted to do was to check out the utilities. I was under the impression (from reading other threads) that most fresh water tanks were located in the belly of the trailer somewhere. Needless to say I was suprised to find it beneath the driver's side twin bed. Is this the factory location?
Desert64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I don't know of any that were located below the floor, but a lot are up front under the gaucho. In my 64 tradewind the fw tank was the same as yours under the bed streetside.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Kevin. And so the journey begins...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Through 1963, the tank was located under the bed, and is a heavy galvanized steel tank. That's because the tank was pressurized by air. In 1964, Airstream began using a 12 volt converter, and was able to utilize a 12 volt demand pump. Most, if not all, 1964's had this system, and if they did, the plastic fresh water tank was placed under the couch in front.
Easiest way to tell where the tank is would be to find the filler. The tank will be at that location inside.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert64 View Post
Just joined the Airstream club with the purchase of our 1964 26' Overlander. It needs quite a bit of work, but think we're up for it. First thing I wanted to do was to check out the utilities. I was under the impression (from reading other threads) that most fresh water tanks were located in the belly of the trailer somewhere. Needless to say I was suprised to find it beneath the driver's side twin bed. Is this the factory location?
Your water tank was installed under the bed.

In 1965 they moved the tank up front.

The up front tanks stayed that way through the 1969 models.

1970 was the first year Airstream installed the water tank under the floor, within the underbelly, and near the axle/axles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Mine is a 1964 overlander. It does have a convertor. The fw was missing but i it was under the street side bed because that is where the filler opening is
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The under the floor in the area of the axels water tank location was used on the "new" body stile trailers from about 1969 up. Argosy's were all still located above the floor, as far as I know. The underfloor AS location is good, unless it becomes damaged from frame issues or other support problems. I am a bit disappointed with the location of the water tank in my 20' FC, which is behind the axels, and low, hanging down under the belly pan. In addition it is only a 23 gal tank. I don't know why it could not have been in the axle location, and up inside the 5" frame as the common AS water tank is.

So, AS has used many water tank systems and locations over the years and there is no one standard system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
idroba

New solutions have new problems. That is a real bummer that your new Stream only has a 23 gal water tank. I am thankful that my 66 TW has a 40 gal tank. I have replaced it and it is under the front gaucho. I would hate to go backwards and only have a 23 gal tank. What you gonna do? Do you have any options?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
idroba

New solutions have new problems. That is a real bummer that your new Stream only has a 23 gal water tank. I am thankful that my 66 TW has a 40 gal tank. I have replaced it and it is under the front gaucho. I would hate to go backwards and only have a 23 gal tank. What you gonna do? Do you have any options?

Dan
Dan.

What's the dimensions of your new water tank?

Andy
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Dan, for now all I can do is to carry extra water in portable containers. I developed a pump system which allows me to pump the water from the 6 or 7 gal containers I purchased at Wal Mart into the main tank without lifting them to pour them in. A little 12 volt pump does the transfer. As I almost exclusively boondock, yes, it is a real issue but I knew it when I decided to buy a new rig. I was out for 9 days and got back last week, and had to add my water stach of two, plus one extra container.

BTW, the 23 gal tank also is on the 23' FC, and the smaller 19's and 16's.

As I get older, even hauling 6 to 7 gal of water around (50 pounds) by hand is not something I look forward to, and then there is the place to store it in the Jeep, plus the weight there.

Sometimes I wonder about what Airstream is thinking when they decide on new changes. I guess that since so many people almost exclusively go to full hookup campgrounds, AS has moved away from good boondocking capacity in water and electrical systems. However, I think that they should develop a "boondock package" with larger solar systems, and bigger tanks as an option for those, like myself, who do use their rigs when not hooked up to services. Is anyone at AS listening? I would trade a good water system any day for the fancy TV-DVD-Radio that they include as standard on the FC series. I don't go out camping to watch TV.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Thanks everyone. I know these types of questions are elementary by most standards, but worthwhile nonetheless. We'll start with a new 23 gal tank and see how the family does. Maybe bring along another container or two just in case.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert64 View Post
Thanks everyone. I know these types of questions are elementary by most standards, but worthwhile nonetheless. We'll start with a new 23 gal tank and see how the family does. Maybe bring along another container or two just in case.
You can use the same 30 gallon water tank that was used from 1965 to 1967.

It's 12" x 11" x 52".

Andy
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Dan.

What's the dimensions of your new water tank?

Andy
Andy

Very good question. Thanks for asking it. Now I understand why I believe you asked it. I just measured my original tank, that I carry in the back of my truck for when I need to add water, and the new tank. The original tank is 12x12, with rounded corners, x50. The new tank is 12x12x48, so 4 cubic feet and thus it is only 30 gallons, not 40. Sorry, my mistake.

On the plus side, I am only carrying an extra 187 lbs instead of 250 lbs when traveling with a full water tank.

Dan
Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Andy

Very good question. Thanks for asking it. Now I understand why I believe you asked it. I just measured my original tank, that I carry in the back of my truck for when I need to add water, and the new tank. The original tank is 12x12, with rounded corners, x50. The new tank is 12x12x48, so 4 cubic feet and thus it is only 30 gallons, not 40. Sorry, my mistake.

On the plus side, I am only carrying an extra 187 lbs instead of 250 lbs when traveling with a full water tank.

Dan
Water is 8 pounds per gallon.

Andy
Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Dan, for now all I can do is to carry extra water in portable containers. I developed a pump system which allows me to pump the water from the 6 or 7 gal containers I purchased at Wal Mart into the main tank without lifting them to pour them in. A little 12 volt pump does the transfer. As I almost exclusively boondock, yes, it is a real issue but I knew it when I decided to buy a new rig. I was out for 9 days and got back last week, and had to add my water stach of two, plus one extra container.

BTW, the 23 gal tank also is on the 23' FC, and the smaller 19's and 16's.

As I get older, even hauling 6 to 7 gal of water around (50 pounds) by hand is not something I look forward to, and then there is the place to store it in the Jeep, plus the weight there.

Sometimes I wonder about what Airstream is thinking when they decide on new changes. I guess that since so many people almost exclusively go to full hookup campgrounds, AS has moved away from good boondocking capacity in water and electrical systems. However, I think that they should develop a "boondock package" with larger solar systems, and bigger tanks as an option for those, like myself, who do use their rigs when not hooked up to services. Is anyone at AS listening? I would trade a good water system any day for the fancy TV-DVD-Radio that they include as standard on the FC series. I don't go out camping to watch TV.
idroba

I agree. A boondocking package for new Airstreams would be nice. It probably won't happen though due to lack of demand.

I carry my old water tank, empty, in the back of my Tundra. If I need water I fill it and use gravity feed to fill my airstream tank. It works fine for me. I don't really need it unless I am out for more than 3 days with my wife or 5 days by myself.

Dan