Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rope and pole awning-at my wits end.

My 1964 Bambi II has the vintage style rope and pole awning. It takes me longer to set up than to do anything else when I get to a new spot. It hangs up in the track and I am only able to get it slide in an inch or so before I have to go back and forth from end to another. I bought a track spreader from a site in England and it really does not seem to help at all. The small end is too small and the large end is too big. Using the large end the cover will not stay in the track. I like the look of the vintage style awning and would like to be able to use the one I have, but it is just more trouble than it is worth too set up and I really do not want to spend a thousand bucks or so for a modern awning (just guessing on the total installed cost of a new awning). I would like to hear any suggestions that anyone might have.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
there is a utube video someone put on recently with a contraption to help a solo person put up a rope and pole awning. she made it look pretty easy. the parts were purchased at the hardware store.

i would love an awning but just use an easy up at camp.since i camp with only my 7 and 10 year old kids.
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Don't have mine yet, so haven't done this first hand. Colin Hyde mounts a small pulley by the end of the track, attaches one end of a small rope to the awning edge in a grommet, and runs the other end back to the feed end of the awning track so that he can both pull and push the awning through the track by himself. Makes sense to me.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There is an episode of The VAP where Colin Hyde describes how he rigged up a pulley at one end of his awning rail so that he could use a rope strung through the pulley to pull the awning into the rail while feeding the awning into the rail, thus avoiding all the running back and forth. I believe he used sailing hardware.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
There is an episode of The VAP where Colin Hyde describes how he rigged up a pulley at one end of his awning rail so that he could use a rope strung through the pulley to pull the awning into the rail while feeding the awning into the rail, thus avoiding all the running back and forth. I believe he used sailing hardware.
Nearly a tie!

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Ours works fine, made by Marti of California. Are you sure your slider is the proper diameter?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The rope and Pole awning on our trillium was a pain to put up and take down too.

Our friend's popup has a zippered bag attached to the trailer and the awning folds up or rolls up in to the bag so you never have to detach it from the trailer. Just unzip the bag and put up the poles - which are also a pain by yourself.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Have you tried silicone spray on the track for the awning to slide into, I have found it helps a lot.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have tried a couple of different lubs, no help.
Yes, the track is the correct size.
Can anyone narrow it down a bit for both the Youtube video and the VAP episode.
I like the idea of the zippered cover, going to have to take a closer look at the idea.

It could be that I just have a crappy/cheap awning and need to buy a better quality one. I bought it from JC Whitney.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It could be that I just have a crappy/cheap awning and need to buy a better quality one. I bought it from JC Whitney.

Uh, yeah

But you don't lack in perseverance. So we expect updates and pics of the fix, thank you.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I got my awning from marti on eBay. After a couple times is slipped right thru the track. Wife feeds it while I pull it down. Whole process took 10 minutes including setting up the poles.

Worst part is the ropes. They keep jumping straight for my throat as I coast my bike back into camp.....
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Marti in Chico, CA makes a great awning and at a great price. She make the one for my Liner and walls to go with it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have tried a couple of different lubs, no help.
Yes, the track is the correct size.
Can anyone narrow it down a bit for both the Youtube video and the VAP episode.
I like the idea of the zippered cover, going to have to take a closer look at the idea.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post

Our friend's popup has a zippered bag attached to the trailer and the awning folds up or rolls up in to the bag so you never have to detach it from the trailer. Just unzip the bag and put up the poles - which are also a pain by yourself.
One of the attendees at a rally last weekend had this on their Globetrotter. In theory, it's great. In practice, not so much. It has all the drawbacks of a rope and pole awnings, and none of the advantages of rope and pole awnings. They were not happy, and are looking to either get a real rope and pole awning, or a Zip-Dee.
BTW, the Zip-Dee is closer to double the figure quoted above.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Ours works fine, made by Marti of California. Are you sure your slider is the proper diameter?
Marti best in the country............toastie
'Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings'
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I am taking the easy way out. I just ordered a new awning from Kristi a member here. I saw her work last April at Stone Mountain and it is first rate and the price was right. I guess I just needed and excuse to buy a new one.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Awning Rail Pulley

Vintage Awnings: How To Set Up A Vintage Trailer Awning All By Yourself

Here is the link to the video and step-by-step instructions for sliding an awning through the c-channel awning rail by yourself. A similar device was shown in my 1968 Avion instruction manual, so I decided to give it a try.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Foster View Post
Vintage Awnings: How To Set Up A Vintage Trailer Awning All By Yourself

Here is the link to the video and step-by-step instructions for sliding an awning through the c-channel awning rail by yourself. A similar device was shown in my 1968 Avion instruction manual, so I decided to give it a try.
Kristi, very slick. I am heading down to the hardware store today to pick up the pieces to make one up. I want to have it on hand when my new awning comes in.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I received my new Awning made by Kristi this past week and had the chance to use it this weekend. Beautifully constructed with material much heavier than the average Sunbrella brand. I also used her handy dandy device for single handily putting the awning up. It made putting the awning up by myself less of a chore and more of a joy. I had the awning made up 8X8ft. The extra coverage makes for a very nice shady porch. Attached are some photos of the awning.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Looks Good! I'm off to Ace to buy the the hardware for the pulley gizmo. I too can't put my vintage awning on by myself.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerimage View Post
Looks Good! I'm off to Ace to buy the the hardware for the pulley gizmo. I too can't put my vintage awning on by myself.
You will not regret it. Best $3 I have spent on my Airstream.