Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Is my Zip-Dee Relax Awning motor dead?

Add me to the mix of folks having issues with the Zip-Dee Relax motorized awning.

We had our 2015 Airstream International in storage for about 6 months before I brought it back and hooked it back up to shore power. Last weekend we took it on a weekend shakeout trip and before we left, I opened the awning and closed it back up. It seemed to be fine.

We then drove about an 1.5 hours to our campground and when we got there, the awning would not open. I would hear the control board under the sink make a click or two (relays?) and the status light would blink but no sound ever came from the awning motor.

I tried several times over the two days we were there and sometimes the light would indicate open or closed but the motor would show no sign of life.

I do not have the emergency cable that allows one to directly drive the motor off the battery but I have a cable from my motorcycle trickle charger that has a matching plug and alligator clips at the other end. The cable is not long enough to connect to my battery, so I used my jumper cables to make the final distance. (I'm not sure if the large gauge jumper cables would be a problem).

I connected the cables to the battery and nothing. I tried swapping the polarity (reversing poles) and still nothing. Is my motor dead or is there some other problem? I contacted Zip-Dee via their website to order the cable but I have not heard back from them.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Elk Grove Village , Illinois
Hey, Zip Dee here! If someone hasn't called you back please call our Customer Service and ask to speak with Randy. He'll be more than happy to get you squared away! 800-338-2378
ZipDee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I've heard that low or damaged batteries can cause problems with these awnings.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Hi Randy, did you have any luck solving this?

I have the same problem and my dealer thinks it's either a bad connection (I'm not finding any loose ones) or a bad component and needs to go into the shop to get fixed.

I have the awning motor emergency cable but haven't tried it thinking I may get it open and then be unable to get it closed which would be my luck.

Thanks.
PaulR-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
I spoke with Zip-Dee this afternoon and after some diagnosis, it appears I have a controller board (circa 2015) that was known to be problematic and which would burn out the motor. The controller needs to be replaced and a new motor installed. They I had to purchase both but they will refund the controller cost when I send my old one back. I also ordered an emergency kit since mine obviously got legs and walked away at some point.

Fingers crossed and I'm hoping replacing the motor is straightforward.
chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Thank you for the update! I'm calling Randy today.
PaulR-GA is offline   Reply With Quote