Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Zip Dee Relax Awning

Hello folks I am in a 2015 30í International Signature with the automatic awning. We purchased from a private party and everything worked as advertised still does with one exception....our automatic awning is not working. It worked perfectly for three months but when we got to where we were going to winter over and where we had anticipated using it the most what do you think happened? Right, no workie. Like I said up until it didnít work it worked fine. Here is what it does; when you hit the awning out button the big arm will go out about 14Ē then stop. This is where it is supposed to deploy the small arm and then continue its sequence. It does not. You can hit any button and it will start again and even get the large arm to further deploy but no hope on the smaller arm doing its thing. At the control board only the rear pulse light is on and not the front pulse. I understand they need to be both lit before the sequence will work. Itís frustrating. My thought is somehow it got confused about where the awning was and will not correct itself. Anyone out there with similar problems?
Dennawayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
These have been problematic. I'm sure others who have experience with them will chime in. I've read that some have needed replacement circuit boards, so you might have to check to see if that was done. Others will guide you.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Just give Zip Dee a call. I know they upgraded control boards in 2017 model year I believe - maybe theyíll just send you a new one to replace yours if needed.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, to get started you will want an updated control board. You may need more, however, so start lining up an authorized dealer asap. They can further diagnose the awning once youíve installed the new board, unless the new board fixes all.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Marshall , Virginia
Relax awning

Call Zip dee. WhenI had a problem I called them and they talked me through a series of checks. When I gave the blinking light responces from the control module he determined that the ethernet cord from controller to the main electronic module was bad. I replaced the ethernet cord and all was good. Call them they solved my problem.
Bill
Bill2535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
We've experienced an issue with our automatic awning, principally when the awning is wet. The long arm is supposed to move fully out about 2 feet prior to the secondary arm extending. If the primary does not fully extend, the extend cycle will not continue. The issue seems to be that the primary arm spring is not strong enough (supposition on my part). Zip Dee acknowledged that they've had issues with extension of the rear primary arm. Their fix was to add a washer behind the lower rear primary arm bumper. This hasn't really helped, but I've found that if I assist the rear primary when it begins to move away from the trailer, that the awning will fully extend.

They have in fact also had difficulty with the circuit board, as described by other responders. Ours was an early 2017 International Serenity 27FB. They checked the circuit board and found that it was the new version, which indicates that they were shipping the newer circuit boards by Aug.'16.

We also experienced an issue where the awning simply would not work at all. This turned out to be a defective Control Panel switch.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have not seen the recomended first step before extension: Press the close button first. This resequences the circuit board. Then operate the awning. Any power interuption will cause the awning to fail to open unless this is done.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennawayne View Post
Hello folks I am in a 2015 30’ International Signature with the automatic awning. We purchased from a private party and everything worked as advertised still does with one exception....our automatic awning is not working. It worked perfectly for three months but when we got to where we were going to winter over and where we had anticipated using it the most what do you think happened? Right, no workie. Like I said up until it didn’t work it worked fine. Here is what it does; when you hit the awning out button the big arm will go out about 14” then stop. This is where it is supposed to deploy the small arm and then continue its sequence. It does not. You can hit any button and it will start again and even get the large arm to further deploy but no hope on the smaller arm doing its thing. At the control board only the rear pulse light is on and not the front pulse. I understand they need to be both lit before the sequence will work. It’s frustrating. My thought is somehow it got confused about where the awning was and will not correct itself. Anyone out there with similar problems?
From your description it sounds like the main arms extend and then stops at the point the awning should unfurl. If so, I would use your jumper cable to bypass the control board and directly power the awning motor to see if that works. If it does not respond you most likely have a failed motor, if it does respond (reversing polarity will reverse the direction of the motor) then it appears there is a control board problem. Good luck, I love these awnings until they don't work.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Thanks to all that responded. Yes the large arm goes out then sends a pulse to the board before further deploying. I have a rear pulse but no front pulse I was told by Zip Dee to remove the plug on the curbside front interior bulkhead and apply power as in 12 volts to the black and blue wires and see if that does it. I didnít because I show 12vdc across those wires already so Iím stuck.

I really believe that it is more to do with the gears inside the arms Out of alignment. They fix that by replacing the arms which Iím sure is really expensive. Itís something I was hoping to avoid by getting on the forum and seeing if anyone jumped in and fixed one. Our board is an updated board because it has a signature across it.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Hi folks, a while back we had some problems with our Relax awning which we had repaired at Jackson Center. They replaced both arms. This worked fine until the awning was destroyed in a micro blast. Bent main tube, bent arms, bent brackets, bent rafters ( struts). A total loss. I am just curious if anyone out there has replaced the entire awning before. I would actually like hearing any feed back on these awnings because right now I am feeling more than a little discouraged about them. I should explain that on the night of the heavy winds there were folks all through the park that had their awnings deployed and went unscathed. So...I’m just trying to get a feel for the overall durability of these Relax awnings
Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Relax Awning

We have a 2017 28RB Serenity which we bought new. The awning has a mind of its own - sometimes deploys fully and correctly and then randomly decides to only deploy 14 inches or, currently, 3 feet and stops. The RV dealer we purchased it from has had it in twice and has said they replaced the control board. We called Zipdee who told us to check the control board connections and have offered to walk us through trying to diagnose the problem. My current issue is that I donít know where to find the control board and Zipdee didnít know either. I can check with the dealer when we return but, was wondering if any of you could help me locate it. Thanks all.
Neen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen View Post
We have a 2017 28RB Serenity which we bought new. The awning has a mind of its own - sometimes deploys fully and correctly and then randomly decides to only deploy 14 inches or, currently, 3 feet and stops. The RV dealer we purchased it from has had it in twice and has said they replaced the control board. We called Zipdee who told us to check the control board connections and have offered to walk us through trying to diagnose the problem. My current issue is that I donít know where to find the control board and Zipdee didnít know either. I can check with the dealer when we return but, was wondering if any of you could help me locate it. Thanks all.

Likely under the galley sink in the cabinet far back attached to the wall or potentially under the couch at the far back (need to get in floor to check the latter)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #13

Also, most likely as close to the awning control panel as possible, inside a cabinet, mounted to an outside wall. The control board has LEDs that light up when itís getting power.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Where are you presently with your Relax awning? Usually troubleshooting goes no deeper than to isolate a particular component i.e. arm, control board, or roller. Never does a discreet component get identified i.e. resistor, capacitor, etc. With arms at $1500 each you can see it gets expensive really quick. Honestly it would be easier to put a manual awning on.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #15

When ours went bad it was because the main roller motor decided not to work anymore. Very expensive to fix.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Zip Dee Relax Awning

I still have warranty cover so have taken it back to the dealer to sort out. They are scratching their heads as they have replaced the controller and arenít sure what else could be the issue. Hopefully they will sort it out this time - after all....third time is supposed to be lucky!
Neen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Same thing happened to us on our brand new 2019 Globetrotter. Called Zip Dee, waste of time, told me to go back to dealer. Dealer did everything you described and still wasnít fixed. Spent 2+ hours on phone with Zip Dee, they gave up. They ended up examining all the wiring and manually opened and closed and it reset everything. Itís worked so far. You can have your dealer call Southland RV, Norcross GA and they may be able to explain what they did.
Jasper, GA (North of Atlanta)
garypilot55 is offline   Reply With Quote