Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Water Stains on Ambassador?

I have what appears to be water stains on my 78 Ambassador 29. It looks like a darker water mark as the water seemed to drip off the rivets (?)

The exterior on the Ambassador is factory painted grey silver. I am concerned about using a rubbing compound as it will just remove the paint. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt
MATTY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Painted?

Our 78 Ambassador has 'silver' color aluminum skin... No paint!

That discoloration you speak of can usually be cleaned with any number of available 'cleaners' devoted to the 'black streaks' on the sides of RVs...

Try some of your house hold cleaners in a non-noticeable or hidden spot to see what works...

I use a product called POR-15 that works great...

Good luck...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Smile

Thanks, Sorry I am a newbie to the Aistream world. I was refering to the silver color, just wanted to be clear it was not clear coat aluminum. I will try a few cleaners on the black streaks. I tried McGuires cleaner wax which did nothing but noticed a lot of silver color on the cloth. I used this as it is a mild compound. Trying to clean the trailer today and tomorrow and there are no RV dealers nearby. I'll experiment with household cleaners.

I it was a boat, I'd know the answers
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Pictures would help.

You should not see any silver on your cloth if you are polishing. Perhaps your trailer was painted at one time in it's life. Most mid 70s Airstreams have lost most if not all of the factory clear coat by now. If this was the case, your cloth would be black from the aluminum oxide.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Here's the the only picture that I have. I doens't show the black drip marks, but show the silver factory finish. The aluminum has a factory silver coat on it, not bare aluminum and clear coat.

I will try to take a photo of the stains later today. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
MATTY J Have news for my friend you have no paint on the trailer you have the original aluminum and most likely clear coat that has not came apart use a mild detergent like dish soap than some liquid glass that will take it off. also you and strip and polish to a nice shine if you get rambunctious for they did not paint those trailers..........
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
MATTY J Have news for my friend you have no paint on the trailer you have the original aluminum and most likely clear coat that has not came apart use a mild detergent like dish soap than some liquid glass that will take it off. also you and strip and polish to a nice shine if you get rambunctious for they did not paint those trailers..........
I don't know if it's paint from the factory or aftermarket, but it sounds just like MEXRAY said a silver coating. There is definitley a silver coating over aluminium. I can see where the past owner had scraped something and exposed bare aluminum. It shows what appears to be a gray primer coat and top silver coating of some kind. It's rough to the touch and definitly not aged clear coat. Maybe it's after market paint, I have no idea... Either way, mild soap, no go, cleaner wax, strike out. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help!

Matt