Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Lightbulb Overhead bin light stays on even when closed?

Hey everyone,

We're new to this -- three weeks into our new Airstream lifestyle, traveling around the US for the next year.

A couple days ago I noticed one of our overhead bin lights stays on all the time, even when closed (see pic). Any ideas for what to do here?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Dave

dave_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Does it have a on/off switch? first thing I would check
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Locate the limit switch. It is probably a button that is operated by the door when closed. Adjust the switch/button so the door makes the light go out.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have little rubber dots on our door that help engage the light button switch. Sometimes the rubber piece falls out of alignment and just needs a quick adjustment.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Add a piece of felt tab to the on off switch.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
Unhappy Overhead lights

I had the same problem in our Classic. couldn't get it resolved. Now all my cabinet lights won't light - also all of our "reading" lights over the desk and sofa don't work either. Also, the reading lights in the bedroom don't light. SOO frustrating.

Any ideas on these? I've checked fuses (all good) - not sure what else to do!
14tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
I had same issue. I used a small silicone bumper cushion to provide an elevated strike area for the switch. Problem solved.

Something like this:
322Pcs Cabinet Door Bumpers,Self Adhesive Clear Rubber Bumpers Pads,Noise Dampening Buffer Pads - 5 Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHP4NGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XMnBFbS13FZ0A
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
The problem with the little rubber buttons that stick on the door is they move. You cal glue or tape a piece of a paint stirrer stick in it’s place and it won’t move and will be more reliable.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14tidewater View Post
I had the same problem in our Classic. couldn't get it resolved. Now all my cabinet lights won't light - also all of our "reading" lights over the desk and sofa don't work either. Also, the reading lights in the bedroom don't light. SOO frustrating.

Any ideas on these? I've checked fuses (all good) - not sure what else to do!

All the reading lights are click on/off as well as controlled from multiplex. Have you turned on the lights at the multiplex and then tried manually clicking the light?

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We put the felt pads that go on the bottom of chairs on hardwood floors, a couple $ and no more lights on untill you open the cabinet door
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Appreciate all the help everyone. I'm sure I'm just an idiot but I have no idea where the switch is for this, to even begin trying to adjust it?? Pictures below...

Old 09-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Yours is a bit different than mine. Looks like it may be the black things in the middle. Once they connect the light turns off? Only way to tell is to try and remove one to connect it

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
The reading lights are not controlled via my multiplex in the 2019 Classic 33 - our display is the CZone.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
What mode are you operating on via your multiplex control panel? (Away Mode, Onboard Mode etc etc ). If your multiplex is in another mode than onboard that might be the issue.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
The reading lights are not controlled via my multiplex in the 2019 Classic 33 - our display is the CZone.

K. I’m on the fire fly on my 18 classic. Firefly does control the reading lights and they also click on and off so it’s possible to have the firefly turn on the lights but the lights not actually turn on because someone (usually my wife [emoji12]) decides to turn the light off manually vs the panel.

Without looking at your panel, I likely can’t help you further. I apologize.

You may want to start another thread in the classic section as there will be more people familiar with the czone there than in the general repair forum.

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_stream View Post
Hey everyone,

We're new to this -- three weeks into our new Airstream lifestyle, traveling around the US for the next year.

A couple days ago I noticed one of our overhead bin lights stays on all the time, even when closed (see pic). Any ideas for what to do here?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Dave

I had this same problem in my Globetrotter a couple of years ago. I tried adjusting the hinges to get a better line up for whatever sensor these switches used and could never get it to work. I called Airstream and they said it was probably a bad switch. I got it repaired under warranty and no issue since then.

At the time I was on an 8 week trip and did half of it boondocking. I didn't want the batteries to drain and it was pain at night time when trying to sleep. Airstream suggested I just cut the wires.
I put the battery cut off in "store" mode. Cut the wires and put electric tape over all the connections so they would not touch. No big deal with the lights not working until I got it fixed.

I would just call Airstream Customer service ahead of time so they can note what you were doing and have it added as a warranty repair.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
No wardrobe or reading lights in any mode. Bummer.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
As you have a new Globetrotter your light switch is magnetic like a window switch on a security system. The black plastic thing in the middle of top of the hatch door is the magnet. The switch part is just on the inside of the opening opposite from the magnet and has two wires leading from it. When you open the door, the magnet is no longer close to the switch so the switch closes to turn on the light. Your problem is the switch is stuck closed which completes the light circuit.

Try tapping the switch part with something like the handle end of a screwdriver to loosen it, then close the hatch and see if the light goes out. Another thing to try is to get a fairly strong magnet and move it around the switch to try and move the mechanism inside.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
No wardrobe or reading lights in any mode. Bummer.
We had a problem where one of the locker lights above the bed would often not work. Turns out there was a junction point where a wiring harness powering the front of the trailer was plugged into a harness coming from the main panel. In our case this junction point was under the lavatory sink, in the lower cabinet containing the water heater. The wire leading to the locker light was not plugged in properly to the harness. The Jackson Center tech working on it plugged it in good and secured it with a zip tie.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Thanks all! Steve -- this is exactly right in terms of our setup. Just tried banging on it a bit but no luck, so I will try out the magnet idea next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
As you have a new Globetrotter your light switch is magnetic like a window switch on a security system. The black plastic thing in the middle of top of the hatch door is the magnet. The switch part is just on the inside of the opening opposite from the magnet and has two wires leading from it. When you open the door, the magnet is no longer close to the switch so the switch closes to turn on the light. Your problem is the switch is stuck closed which completes the light circuit.

Try tapping the switch part with something like the handle end of a screwdriver to loosen it, then close the hatch and see if the light goes out. Another thing to try is to get a fairly strong magnet and move it around the switch to try and move the mechanism inside.

Steve