Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Perspective Owner

Currently Looking...
Fairhope , Alabama
Leaks

As a perspective Airstream owner I would like to know what percentage of Airstreams suffer leaks that rot out the flooring. Do they all leak eventually so you need to be dilligent about checking for floor moisture, is it only after they get a certain age? Really looking to trade my 5th wheel in and downsize to a long lasting unit.
riget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes! They all leak. Some more than others. Due diligence is manditory.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
We bought a used 2006 AS and had leaks in the front bedroom windows and under the dinette in the rear. We fixed them all, but are always on the lookout for more. No floor rot, so I guess we caught them in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
They probably all leak at some point at some place. Floor rot happens to those that sit for extreme long periods with no attention being played when it rains and years of repetitive water without being addressed. It doesnt happen over night.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
So far so good with my 2006. As far as I can tell no leaks and no indications of any in the past.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Have had three, put things, sat dishes on the roof etc and fortunately never had a leak
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
They all leak ,,,just because you don't see a puddle on the floor doesn't mean you don't have leaks ,they leak in the walls from Windows ,vents, etc and slowly the water makes it to the floor and then rots it out , you must check for leaks when it's new and every 3 -6 months with a moisture meter .
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, sooner or later- just like the SOB I had and the roof on every house I've ever owned. Maintain it or it will leak. It's life.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Amazingly a lot of folks think caulking everything regularly shouldn't be required preventative maintenance. But if you are diligent about seals and checking things, I'll bet you $100 it won't leak. The only way for it to leak is for there to be a gap, for it to leak. Seems a lot of folks expect Airstreams to not leak because their car doesn't leak, but your car has far fewer seams.

Now, how long it should be leak proof from the date of purchase before you have to start checking everything everywhere, is totally open for debate.

I just spent the month caulking and sealing my Airstream. And I'll tell you what, there are A LOT of seams and places for water to go. I'm confident that if I stay on top of inspecting everything once a month, I can stay ahead of any leaks ever developing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Yes, sooner or later- just like the SOB I had and the roof on every house I've ever owned. Maintain it or it will leak. It's life.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Every camper leaks, whether it be SOB or AS. I'd rather own the latter. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The only campers that do not get leaks are stored under roof, are never caught out in the rain and washed with a barely damp sponge...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
you must check for leaks when it's new and every 3 -6 months with a moisture meter .
What are the tricks to using a moisture meter on an AS? I have meters, I use them on buildings in my day job. They have needles, not sure how I would use them on my AS short of drilling a hole.

This topic is of interest to me, since I find leaks on buildings I know it takes some technique and experience, so can any one share how it is done on an AS?

Thanks
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
What are the tricks to using a moisture meter on an AS? I have meters, I use them on buildings in my day job. They have needles, not sure how I would use them on my AS short of drilling a hole.

This topic is of interest to me, since I find leaks on buildings I know it takes some technique and experience, so can any one share how it is done on an AS?

Thanks
They all leak sooner or later, but a simple and periodic inspection allows you to locate the leak area, and prevent ever having any damage come of it.

I have been using this Sonin Moisture Detection Meter, a tool that should be in any rv tool kit. On the end of the cord is a set of probes. Go around the interior perimeter of your Airstream including exterior storage compartments, probing through the vinyl finish floor into the plywood subfloor. The slightest moisture will move the needle and allow you to know the severity of the problem.

Our Airstream had zero leaks when we first bought it but four minor leaks have been found since and sealed. In cold humid conditions when you are camping in it you may detect moisture that is not from a leak, but from moisture seeping down the wall from condensation. That signals a need for ventilation, especially while cooking and showering, and to move any stowed gear away from the walls for better air circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	715X0DVMV0L.gif
Views:	105
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	229379  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
They all leak sooner or later, but a simple and periodic inspection allows you to locate the leak area, and prevent ever having any damage come of it.

I have been using this Sonin Moisture Detection Meter, a tool that should be in any rv tool kit. On the end of the cord is a set of probes. Go around the interior perimeter of your Airstream including exterior storage compartments, probing through the vinyl finish floor into the plywood subfloor. The slightest moisture will move the needle and allow you to know the severity of the problem.

Our Airstream had zero leaks when we first bought it but four minor leaks have been found since and sealed. In cold humid conditions when you are camping in it you may detect moisture that is not from a leak, but from moisture seeping down the wall from condensation. That signals a need for ventilation, especially while cooking and showering, and to move any stowed gear away from the walls for better air circulation.

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
2001 30 ft 70th. Anniversary
With slide out
Vagabond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Which model of moisture meter works best?

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
With slide out
Old 12-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We use Delmhorst. They are very good, but there are probably many others. I've been buying these for 10+ years and so that's all I know.

Moisture Meters | Moisture Testers | Delmhorst Instrument Co.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Thank you. Do dry spots where there has not been a leak register some moisture? Or is the dry spot that has not leaked what you call zero. I hope I make myself clear all wood has some moisture doesn't it? Or are the spots with leaks so different that it is apparent? I really like the idea of checking with a meter regularly. It makes good sense.
Thank you

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
With slide out
Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just a comment about moisture meter readings. I purchased one at Lowes with the points on the end of the unit, not as handy as your corded model, and one day I was using it and on my first few readings I was getting medium readings- yikes, then I went in the garage and poked it into a plywood panel in the garage mind you; and it gave me the same reading- medium. I believe in the need to check but I found that the reading may be impacted as you mentioned by the humidity. I "assumed" that after my discovery that anything above the reading that day of medium would was problem- ya?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the Sonin because it's cheap and works very well with its probe on the end of the cord so you can reach and read had to reach areas, like inside the storage compartments. Normally this meter registers 0 moisture in the trailer but it doesn't take much to move the needle, not enough to feel damp to the touch. So you have to use some judgment if you see a little needle deflection.

A tip. In the storage compartments there is a metal plate, you can't probe through it. But if you remove a few screws and take loose the plastic baseboard trim, there will probably be a gap so the probes can reach the plywood subfloor.

Speaking of those plastic baseboard trim screws, they screw into the plywood subfloor and if they have been wet the threads will be dull or corroded, even rusty when you remove them. Another leak detection method.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
My GT is the exception to the saying "all Airstreams leak". It took a great deal of work to get there but I think it was worth it.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote