Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 33FB Classic
Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Classic 2021

Has anyone experienced quality control issues with Classic 2021? Purchased a 2021 Classic 33- like to know what to expect.
Johncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncia View Post
Has anyone experienced quality control issues with Classic 2021? Purchased a 2021 Classic 33- like to know what to expect.

You may want to post this in the classic section. The short answer is yes. It’s a mixed bag of what I have seen, but all trailers will have issues out of the gate. None of them are driven down the road before delivery so the shake down works differently for all the trailers. Classics have more technology components than any other trailer so we typically have more issues with connections etc.

I’ll be here to help when I can with alde. That seems to be the biggest pain. Everyone has to make adjustments to the system and it seems it rarely perfect out of the gates. But once it’s dialed in, you’re gonna love it

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 33FB Classic
Pawleys Island , South Carolina
I should have been more explicit in my post. We own a 2019 Classic 30 and have been through quite a number of issues, so we get that. We just purchased a 2021 Classic 33, to be delivered in April 2021. To add to the conversation, my family has Airstreamed for over 40 years. They had hardly any issues, but technology wise we’re not comparing apples to apples. I’m asking for specifics so that I’m not exhausted by Airstream issues the first few nights on the road. We want to “try” to get ahead of what might be “standard issues” and to know where to focus our delivery inspection. Thanks
Johncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Ah, much clearer. You’ll be ahead of the curve just by knowing your 30. All system are the same tech wise but then you have to add the electronic motors on the windows and the projection system. Both I hear challenges with.

Believe it or not, I have also read that some people have issues with the alde system consistently generating heat. Apparently it all gets lost in the bathroom so your bedroom with be cooler compared to the 30.

You have airstream connect now? Not sure how the new systems work and the options out there for service since ATT discontinued the original plan. Again, you should already have more knowledge on this than myself if you do have it currently (I do not have the system)

Congrats on your upgrade! We may do the same in the future from a 18 classic. Still kinda waiting for tech to work out its funny little things here and there and the upgrade to be a bit more substantial vs current offerings

Follow our adventures!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Newport Beach , California
Congrats. We just purchased our 2021 Classic 33’ and already have had problems. The ALDE system, one window (night shade) that only goes down half way, LED intermittent lights on awning and awning issues. Full time at this time so working on it myself, but hit us been a bit irritating because of the huge price tag. Also not impressed with SoCal’s technicians regarding their knowledge of the ALDE system. Sorry to rant, the Classic Life is both beautiful and annoying when things go wrong. Congratulations again!
Classic Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Johncia,

See my post on 2021 Classic 33 - Initial Quality Notes - Delivery and Quality.

There are 8 pages of conversation covering our first month in the coach. Tons of issues...many of which you may benefit from reading about.

If I were taking delivery (had it to do over again), I would insist on a two night stay at the dealership and I would have a long list of items to check - like the ones in my post and others. If your dealer is unwilling to do that, I would insist on an all day delivery process where you test every single item you can possibly test prior to signing the papers. Once you sign and give them your money, you have zero leverage to get anything addressed. Please note that in addition to my first post, about half way through, I provided an update with additional information (both good and bad).

While issues may be addressed at the factory in a satisfactory manner, our dealer just does not seem capable of addressing all of them and the invitation from Airstream (within my post) to contact them is completely worthless.

I did have one reported issue (radio antenna) that I was incorrect about. It comes installed. The bagged item that looked like an antenna is part of the Zip Dee awning kit.

Bottom line...you may get lucky but likely you will have a long list of issues. Either plan to go to the factory or know you will need to be extremely handy with a wrench on your own. I for example, bought my own mixing valve from Truma (have not installed it yet) and will continue to make my own repairs.

While we love our Airstream - we can see a day when we will move to SOB, if and when we can find a brand that cares more about quality and their customers. In the meantime, to be satisfied, you just have to be good with incompetence.

Dave
Old 12-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Life View Post
Congrats. We just purchased our 2021 Classic 33’ and already have had problems. The ALDE system, one window (night shade) that only goes down half way, LED intermittent lights on awning and awning issues. Full time at this time so working on it myself, but hit us been a bit irritating because of the huge price tag. Also not impressed with SoCal’s technicians regarding their knowledge of the ALDE system. Sorry to rant, the Classic Life is both beautiful and annoying when things go wrong. Congratulations again!
Hi Classic Life,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 12-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
We just picked up our 2021 Classic 33 from a S. California dealer and still testing systems. Our trailer was missing '21 bag and "the box" with the remotes so haven't used entertainment stuff yet, nor TPMS when we towed. Our biggest problem is the gas oven with broken knob and still trying to figure out if the oven will light. Two gas burners working though. Haven't tried other oven yet (still moving in too, as we're going full time as well) but clock works, so think it will too.

Alde heating is fabulous but we're still curious about getting hot water for shower. Had lukewarm at best. Initially, the Alde glycol was too low to operate so we had to order more. That was difficult to locate but Airstream Fairfield had stock and shipped it quick to us, so kudos to them for great response! Alde hot water seems to shut off too soon. It appears we don't have Alde continuous flow, so think that is going to be upgrade we'll need. It appears we need to run heater full blast to get hot water. Not sure how that will work in summer.

Signed up for the WiFi, as there was documentation for it in the '20 Classic bag, which we got. It worked lightning fast for couple days but gone now. Going to call Airstream tech support. Harmony app and hub won't work either... Think both devices need to talk to each other.

Couple minor cabinet flaws and one window night shade stuck going down. We just jiggled it a bit and it's fine now. We were nervous about buying new after reading of so many problems, but so far, not as bad experience. The dealer purchase was a bit rushed and it really isn't an ideal time to buy a trailer during the pandemic-short staffing, small discounts, travel restrictions. The dealer is going to send us new '21 box (will love seeing the medicine cabinet shelves!) and we are going to log the issues and take it to a dealer for the repairs.

It's too bad the quality control isn't better, and I'm sorry to hear of some new owners having horrible experiences. What we experience is inconvenient but not unliveable. We too wonder about SOBs but seems like there's going to be quality issues there too. Many SOBs have cheaper cabinetry construction, less amenities. Of course, I'm not speaking of half-million dollar A coaches, but other travel trailers. DRV has lovely 5th wheels but we didn't want a 5th wheel. Wanted the Airstream. It seems once you dial in the things you want, it hopefully will be the great home or recreational vehicle you want.
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Try opening the oven door and lighting it with the door open. I believe there is a safety switch in there that prevents it from lighting closed? Sometimes I have to blow in there to get the propane moving around and close enough to the igniter to light too.

Let me know if I can help with the alde in any ways. There are a ton of resources on here and we have been tweaking ours for the last couple of years now. Love it once its dialed in!

Follow our adventures!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Try opening the oven door and lighting it with the door open. I believe there is a safety switch in there that prevents it from lighting closed? Sometimes I have to blow in there to get the propane moving around and close enough to the igniter to light too.

Let me know if I can help with the alde in any ways. There are a ton of resources on here and we have been tweaking ours for the last couple of years now. Love it once its dialed in!

Tim - I’m picking up my ‘21 Classic 33 at AS of Tampa 12/26. Can you or anyone else give me a list of things to do in regard to checking for things out of sight that could be wrong that someone might not think of? e.g. Alde Glycol being full, window cracks, harmony-WiFi-hub working, fridge working on LP & electric, etc.

Also what is continuous flow? I thought besides the Lithium upgrade there were no other options.

Thank you!!!
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Alde has an alde flow box attached to it. If you look in the classic section there is a post from me about changing it out.

Often times, the alde control panel doesn’t have “alde flow” checked off in the settings. With the new models of alde, the alde flow acts as a almost unlimited hot water source. For the older systems it’s just a holding tank for hot water.

As far as what to look for, it’s been a few years since i purchased new but looking back, my dealer did a decent job delivering. Most people are gonna recommend you spend at least one night on property learning how to use everything and opening draws, storage, latches, locking/unlocking everything multiple times and generally just trying to catch things that are not perfect.

Usually the dealership would then have someone on property to address the easy items. As a general statement though, airstream covers everything bumper to bumper under warranty. We ended up just making a laundry list in our travels and making it to Jackson center eventually. The must hit items were hit by dealers in our travels and were pretty much simple fixes. All other items were just saved for Jackson center after about 6 months or a year of making a list.

Hope this helps.... every trailer is different and everyone has their own experiences here. Just know that airstream will make everything right and I trust Jackson center over local dealers any day of the week. If the fix is simple I’d take it to a dealer, it’s it’s a bit more complicated save it for JC.

Follow our adventures!
Old 12-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Alde has an alde flow box attached to it. If you look in the classic section there is a post from me about changing it out.

Often times, the alde control panel doesn’t have “alde flow” checked off in the settings. With the new models of alde, the alde flow acts as a almost unlimited hot water source. For the older systems it’s just a holding tank for hot water.

As far as what to look for, it’s been a few years since i purchased new but looking back, my dealer did a decent job delivering. Most people are gonna recommend you spend at least one night on property learning how to use everything and opening draws, storage, latches, locking/unlocking everything multiple times and generally just trying to catch things that are not perfect.

Usually the dealership would then have someone on property to address the easy items. As a general statement though, airstream covers everything bumper to bumper under warranty. We ended up just making a laundry list in our travels and making it to Jackson center eventually. The must hit items were hit by dealers in our travels and were pretty much simple fixes. All other items were just saved for Jackson center after about 6 months or a year of making a list.

Hope this helps.... every trailer is different and everyone has their own experiences here. Just know that airstream will make everything right and I trust Jackson center over local dealers any day of the week. If the fix is simple I’d take it to a dealer, it’s it’s a bit more complicated save it for JC.

Thanks! Appreciate ya!!!
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote