Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
2021 Classic 30 RBT

After selling our first Airstream (a 2019 27’ FC) privately in May (much faster than we thought we would), we are just weeks away now from delivery of a new Airstream Classic, ordered on May 26. I’ll detail our experience through delivery and “getting the bugs worked out” in this series of posts.

I very much appreciate previous posts relating personal experiences with new Airstreams, particularly quality assessments that identify specific issues with the Classic. Special thanks to “ocropper” for his recent, interesting summary about his issues with a new 33’ Classic.

So far… our experience with the dealership (Airstream of South Florida/North Trail RV – Ft. Myers, FL) has been very good. Our salesman, Bruce Miller, is very personable and eager to assist new owners. He’s been responsive and supportive in the many questions we’ve asked since the order was placed. He was highly recommended by some friends, who also had a very positive experience with him. His extensive knowledge – he’s not just a salesman, but a Classic owner, too – has been invaluable already to us. He posts regularly here on AirForums, and to Airstream Addicts on Facebook. He is helpful to anyone who needs assistance, and that’s a pretty great quality.

Pre-COVID, we had planned on going to JC sometime during the build to get on the floor and watch the assembly, but that, unfortunately, isn’t an option now. Still not sure when JC will resume factory tours. Our unit is scheduled “online” in a few days. It’s supposed to come off around September 15. Between shipping and dealer prep, we expect to receive it sometime around the third to last week of September.

As a previous owner, I have a much better understanding now of RVs generally, and Airstreams specifically. While I’m certainly no expert, I’ve begun a PDI checklist that will likely challenge even the most patient technician. I’m still adding a few items to it each day!

Once we take delivery, as soon as is practically possible, we are planning to do the 3” axle lift. Interestingly, Airstream of South Florida doesn’t do it, but Airstream of Tampa does. JC also does it. I called JC to ask if they could do while the unit was “online,” but no such luck. I’d have to bring it back. Tampa it is.

As I mentioned above, I’ll update this thread with new information as it becomes relevant.

Happy Streaming!
David
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 30' Classic
2019 28' International
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 36
Hi David

Congrats on your new Classic! I have a 2020 and had the dealer do the lift kit as part of the purchase. For me there were no downsides to doing it and since I live on a hill it gives me peace of mind that I won't scrape the back end.

Happy camping!
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,038
Images: 1
Maybe it's on the lot now?

We were at JC last week, no tours but the new building is up and running.
It is HUGE.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC1D9D3A-D2D8-41DB-BE90-891E55174056_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	377410   Click image for larger version

Name:	234ABAD6-7D63-495B-AD62-A4962518B395_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	377411  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4FCED4D1-D206-4891-AB53-983B492D0E6F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	377412   Click image for larger version

Name:	54D93F9F-2E5A-48BF-B794-48301FE0347C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	377413  

__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' Classic
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 262
Congratulations on your new Classic, can't wait to hear all about it. We have a '19 30' Classic and love it even though there have been some issues. Currently we are waiting on a new counter top, the corner near the entry door snapped off on our last trip. But, all in all we love it.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 136
Congratulations on your new Classic. We went a similar route from a 25' FC to the 2020 30' RB twin. There is a learning curve but it should be easy for you as previous AS owners. I had a problem with the Alde having more than 6-8 minutes of hot water for showers till I learned from the forum that the Alde flow box needed to be checked under the accessories menu. I have bottomed out twice on the rear of the trailer coming out of gas stations. We have an apt the 18th to have the lift kit installed at JC. Not real thrilled with the so called couch recliners. Good luck!
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Maybe it's on the lot now?



We were at JC last week, no tours but the new building is up and running.

It is HUGE.



Bob



Wow! Great pictures!
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Njg
2 Rivet Member
 
Njg's Avatar
 
2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
It would be awesome if you shared your delivery checklist with the forum after you pick up your new trailer. I have a 30 CLASSIC RBQ ordered for delivery in February. Excited and very concerned about all of the things that could be wrong in the trailer.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
It would be awesome if you shared your delivery checklist with the forum after you pick up your new trailer. I have a 30 CLASSIC RBQ ordered for delivery in February. Excited and very concerned about all of the things that could be wrong in the trailer.
I would be happy to share my checklist. Look for it here in a few weeks.
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar

 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 268
Congratulations on the new Classic! What color package did you decide on?

Happy Camping!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Njg
2 Rivet Member
 
Njg's Avatar
 
2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusaly View Post
I would be happy to share my checklist. Look for it here in a few weeks.


Thank you!! I’ve been scouring the classic and Alden threads trying to put a list together, but I feel like I’m chasing my tail. Much appreciated!

Are you planning any power or battery mods?
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
Thank you!! I’ve been scouring the classic and Alden threads trying to put a list together, but I feel like I’m chasing my tail. Much appreciated!

Are you planning any power or battery mods?


No power or battery mods planned. We don’t expect much extended off grid camping. Have small Honda gens if needed.
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Congratulations on the new Classic! What color package did you decide on?

Happy Camping!


Thanks! We did the Comfort White/Earl Gray.
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar

 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 268
Love That Color Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusaly View Post
Thanks! We did the Comfort White/Earl Gray.
We love that color. We purchased a Serenity with the Oyster white cushions because it just seemed so much brighter and happy. The Classic you have us over the top.
Enjoy!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
UPDATE #1

Finally, something to report!

This morning, Bruce Miller, our salesman at Airstream of South Florida, called to let us know that our unit is “in the hands of the shipper” - since last week. This means, in all likelihood, that it will arrive at the dealership sometime this week. Once the PDI is completed, we’ll get the call to schedule delivery.

As I mentioned in a response to "Njg" earlier, I’ve put together my own PDI checklist to complete during delivery. I’m attaching that here. I’ve read many of the QC related posts from this forum. Those have all informed what I’ve come up with. Of course, I’m sure I’ve missed something. If you see any obvious omissions, please reply and let me know what you’d add to your list.

Assume that I will fill holding tanks to capacity, charge the LP gas lines, energize the coach (shore power) and turn the water heater on as needed for testing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI.pdf (37.8 KB, 14 views)
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Vickery , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgsports View Post
Hi David

Congrats on your new Classic! I have a 2020 and had the dealer do the lift kit as part of the purchase. For me there were no downsides to doing it and since I live on a hill it gives me peace of mind that I won't scrape the back end.

Happy camping!
How much does the lift run? I have a Classic 33 on order and was thinking about adding that. Thanks.
__________________
Chas & Cindy
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
Cirrusaly's Avatar
 
2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
How much does the lift run? I have a Classic 33 on order and was thinking about adding that. Thanks.


Lift runs about 750 per axle at Airstream of Tampa. I haven’t priced it elsewhere.
__________________
Current: 2021 Classic 30' RBT
Past: 2019 Flying Cloud 27' FBT
WBAC 9602
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Vickery , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusaly View Post
Lift runs about 750 per axle at Airstream of Tampa. I haven’t priced it elsewhere.


Thank you.
__________________
Chas & Cindy
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:39 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 136
I just had the 3" lift installed at Jackson Center. They did an excellent job and also adjusted my Pro Pride on the truck for the difference in height. Minus a T-shirt and license plate holder the price was about $1700. While there we had a new dead bolt on the door installed, shower door fixed, small drawer next to fridge fixed, emergency exit window re-screened. Enroute to JC we found ourselves locked inside the trailer when the screw holding the door handle became loose and would not open the door. I was able to go out the emergency exit and open the door from the outside. Was able to fix the inside door fairly easily. Victron monitor still reverts to Fetching History. JC stlll doesn't have a real fix for this issue. They have talked to Victron engineers and the issue is being studied.

You might want to take delivery and use your new Classic awhile then consider a trip to JC for the lift kit and warranty repairs on items you find. My experience with the local dealer has resulted in me going to JC to have repairs done that the local dealer thought they had fixed.

I noticed no difference towing some 500 miles with the new lift kit. Positives are your sewer and grey water drain much easier. I winterized my trailer yesterday and crawling under it is much easier to open and close drain valves. You will need to retorge your lug nuts after lift install at 25 miles and 100 miles.

Good luck with your new Classic.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Vickery , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
I just had the 3" lift installed at Jackson Center. They did an excellent job and also adjusted my Pro Pride on the truck for the difference in height. Minus a T-shirt and license plate holder the price was about $1700. While there we had a new dead bolt on the door installed, shower door fixed, small drawer next to fridge fixed, emergency exit window re-screened. Enroute to JC we found ourselves locked inside the trailer when the screw holding the door handle became loose and would not open the door. I was able to go out the emergency exit and open the door from the outside. Was able to fix the inside door fairly easily. Victron monitor still reverts to Fetching History. JC stlll doesn't have a real fix for this issue. They have talked to Victron engineers and the issue is being studied.

You might want to take delivery and use your new Classic awhile then consider a trip to JC for the lift kit and warranty repairs on items you find. My experience with the local dealer has resulted in me going to JC to have repairs done that the local dealer thought they had fixed.

I noticed no difference towing some 500 miles with the new lift kit. Positives are your sewer and grey water drain much easier. I winterized my trailer yesterday and crawling under it is much easier to open and close drain valves. You will need to retorge your lug nuts after lift install at 25 miles and 100 miles.

Good luck with your new Classic.


Thank you! Great advice with waiting for warranty repairs list, go to JC & do lift all at same time - we’re going to do that. How did you set up appointment? Just call & schedule - did you have to wait long?
__________________
Chas & Cindy
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #20
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2020 30’ Globetrotter
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,129
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 52
I do lifts for 899.00 installed out the door.
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 RBT Classic Trickle Charge Question davcarv 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths) 7 08-20-2020 10:41 AM
What should I pay for a left over 2019 25 FC RBT? huck55 2016 - Current Flying Cloud 1 11-17-2019 01:40 PM
2019 26 RBT Transfer Switch Location Too tall Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 10-21-2019 04:12 PM
Overhead bedroom cabinet for RBT MJBear Interior Restoration Forum 0 10-01-2019 08:33 AM
2016 - 2018 Flying Cloud FBT or RBT WANTED cincyrhc Airstream Classifieds 0 03-12-2019 09:29 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.