Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #1

1979 23' Safari
Rosebud , Texas
1979 Safari battery box replacement

Battery Box replacement: I am a new owner of an old Airstream (23 ft. Safari). Several things needed done. The latest is cracked battery boxes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery box.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	368683 My question is: Can the battery boxes be removed from the front, ie. can I remove the access door/frame then pull the box out the front. I hope I don't have to remove them from the inside which requires removing the forward cabinets, etc.
Beeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I don’t think that the battery box can be pulled in one piece thru the hatch. On my parents’ ‘75 Argosy, the black plastic part of the battery box was mated to the hatch opening and then screwed down to the plywood floor. The flange that held the screws was on the outside of the box.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Nope. Must be pulled from the inside. Contact forum member CWF. He just completed this task and filled me in by email, as this is on my to do list.
Mine cracked at the inner vent hole lip. I temporarily sealed with small pieces of eternabond.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You "can" get the old cracked battery box out through the front; you'll probably have to cut it in pieces to do so.

When putting in the new battery box from the outside, I left the "lip" outside, and sandwiched it between the aluminum door frame and the trailer skin.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

1979 23' Safari
Rosebud , Texas
I removed the frame/door. Removed from the front. Found dry rot under the box. I am now in the process of cutting out the dry rot and patching in plywood treated with epoxy. I will seal around the box and frame/door when I get the new boxes.
Beeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My plan, when it is battery replacement time, is to get rid of the boxes altogether and get agm set inside in their place. I am noodling how to build some additional aluminum framing to seal the doors so they can still be used to access the front area.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote