Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Replacement battery box 1985 excella

The twin polypropylene battery boxes are not available according to airstream dealers. I have one that is cracked with a hole in the bottom and I need to replace or repair. The front flange on both boxes has been trimmed suggesting they may not be the original and maybe from a later model.

Does anyone know if later models fit the 1985 the box measures 9 1/4" x 11 1/2 " excluding the flange and 16" deep at top and 11 1/2 deep at bottom
acleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

re: poly propylene battery boxes

just a suggestion, polypro can be repaired. it is welded with an electric torch. new boxes could also be constructed using the same technique. look in yellow pages for plastic fabricators.

good luck-

emanon
emanon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

The flanges on these boxes are surprisingly small. On mine, most of the securing screws only just touch the edge of the flange, a not very satisfactory state of affairs. I suspect yours are as from the factory, rather than being trimmed later. I also had an unnecessary hole and a couple of splits. These boxes need to be gas-tight, in order to prevent explosive hydrogen from a gassing battery from entering the trailer. I removed the boxes, gaffer-taped the inside of the holes to form a mould, and filled the holes and cracks with, to the best of my memory, car body filler. As mentioned above, plastic welding would be a better solution. The battery boxes I found at the wrecker's yard were also damaged. Good luck. Nick.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I don't know why these battery boxes couldn't be Rhino Lined....or the equivalent. That stuff is supposed to be impervious to battery acid, and would certainly make an airtight seal so that battery gasses vented to the outside of the trailer.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon25
just a suggestion, polypro can be repaired. it is welded with an electric torch. new boxes could also be constructed using the same technique. look in yellow pages for plastic fabricators.

good luck-

emanon
Thanks for the suggestion. Welding is a good option if I can't replace. There is a kit online for $129 that includes rods of different plastic but if I can buy the box it will be easier
Old 08-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
The flanges on these boxes are surprisingly small. On mine, most of the securing screws only just touch the edge of the flange, a not very satisfactory state of affairs. I suspect yours are as from the factory, rather than being trimmed later. I also had an unnecessary hole and a couple of splits. These boxes need to be gas-tight, in order to prevent explosive hydrogen from a gassing battery from entering the trailer. I removed the boxes, gaffer-taped the inside of the holes to form a mould, and filled the holes and cracks with, to the best of my memory, car body filler. As mentioned above, plastic welding would be a better solution. The battery boxes I found at the wrecker's yard were also damaged. Good luck. Nick.
I will try a polyurethane caulk. I just bought the TT and I am doing 10 years of deferred mantainance the hole in box has caused rot in the frount floor; however, later models of airstream have dual battery boxes and I am interested if a later model could be used
Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Acleiter, I assume you are aiming to add a second battery. When I decided to do this I noted that the visible cast alloy frame for the boxes varies in appearance with different years. I decided that the way to achieve a good outward appearance was to source a used box and alloy frame from the right era at an RV wrecker's yard. The matching frame and box cost about $40, and the appearance is excellent. The aperture in the skin for the new frame and box has to be cut precisely, because of the previously mentioned very small flanges on the box. Two popular RV salvage depots are Bobs RV and Colaw. A forum search on these names will locate their details. Nick.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Acleiter, I assume you are aiming to add a second battery. When I decided to do this I noted that the visible cast alloy frame for the boxes varies in appearance with different years. I decided that the way to achieve a good outward appearance was to source a used box and alloy frame from the right era at an RV wrecker's yard. The matching frame and box cost about $40, and the appearance is excellent. The aperture in the skin for the new frame and box has to be cut precisely, because of the previously mentioned very small flanges on the box. Two popular RV salvage depots are Bobs RV and Colaw. A forum search on these names will locate their details. Nick.
Thank you for the info. I just purchased the 1985 31' excella and I am catching up on deferred maintenance. I think the coach came with dual battery boxes. The 1999 excella maintenance manual (on the airstream website) shows dual battery boxes on the 1999 which is the earliest model they have. The 1999 looks the same as the 1985 but I don't know. You mentioned that the flange on the box is very narrow and if you look close you can see it is has been trimmed (the knife cuts are plain). The question is why would airstream have a part that required modification? Unless the part was a make-fit by a dealer who replaced the boxes sometime in the past ( it's reasonable a plastic box would need replacement in 20 years). What I would like to know is what other later years will fit or be made to fit my 1985, since when I asked for a 1985 I was told that it was no longer available; however they should have the box for a 2004. I have this problem because although the airstream is a great trailer the company will not talk to us but hides behind the RV dealers who hide behind their parts clerk who only knows part numbers.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Battery box replacement

Since I posted in August I have found that the replacement battery box is available from Airstream item No. 200855 this box fits 1982 to present excella.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
acleiter;
I'm in the same predicament. Do you know the part number for the outside cover or access door? I need two of each to do a retro-fit on an older model.
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote