Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
Tire Shop Experience

Had some Goodyear Endurance tires put on my 16 ft Bambi 2006 at a Big O shop. Had the service counter guy put a note in my work order envelope to be certain the tech raised the frame with the jack location prescribed by the manufacturer. I took him out and showed him the sticker "JACK HERE." I stuck around and when a nice young tech started working on it I went out to show him the jack location as he had not seen the note. He agreed however then another older tech came out, grabbed the jack, and proceeded to move it to the front of the trailer. I told him where to put it and he still was disagreeing so I informed him that was my trailer and he was working for me and he walked off. I also had to make certain that they put my best used tire on the spare rim and remove the one that was ten years old. Lesson learned, don't assume, be proactive.
TYSON PECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, left alone they will almost always do it wrong, and for that reason when I was trailering, I would always just take them the tires and wheels, and install on the trailer myself. More work, but then I knew they didn't damage stuff with the jacks.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Also remind them to not use hydrologic/air tools and the proper torque value. Double check it yourself before pulling out, once you get home and regularly after that.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
After 10 years of full timing I have had all the problems above and a few more. For the past six years we have been using America's Tire. Good prices and the quality of tires has improved but last year I bought four new tires. Knowing that no matter how nice the kid is he has no idea what he is doing. Our '76 AS has some very washed out jack points that these kids cannot see. I had to repair a cracked frame in 2011. Got it welded and then made two 3/16 plates that will prevent any more cracks at least below the wheel wells.

Anyway I took two short pieces of 5" iron angle and bolted it to the new plate and frame just behind the back tire. I painted it silver so that they could see what I was talking about. Several years ago I had the tires rotated (free service). The first kid came out to size up the job. I kindly pointed out the jack plate that was very visible to anyone with vision in the 20/200 range or better. He left to get something and instantly another guy appeared, slid the floor jack under the axle and started to lift the trailer. I think I upset him when I pointed out that the AS axles are designed with a torsion bar and are very difficult to align. A bit embarrassed and irritated he followed my instructions and put the jack under the shiny silver plate. So now I just stand outside and talk them through the process.

Just before we set off to Alaska (2016) I had a new set of tires put on our AS. The Marathons did great until a bolt punctured a tire on the way back. I put a plug in and took the trailer to have the bearings repacked at Schwab. The tech pointed out that I had three D rated tires and one C rated tire.

Drove to America's tire down the street and they replaced the C with a D rated tire - no questions asked. If I had continued to travel much further with the C it would have developed tread separation. Since then we put another 12K miles on the tires with no other problems. The tread looked good all the way around.

Fast forward to last week. We were parked in a Safeway lot. When we came back a guy who managed a tire shop in St George came up to me and pointed out that one of my tires was about ready to peel the tread. It is most certainly something I had done (we do some off road travel and I am sure I have driven over a few curbs) but the kid looked at the tire and because we purchased their tire replacement policy gave us credit for the damaged tire. But he said that they do not carry any D rated Marathons any more but that there is a newer Goodyear Endurance tire that they do have in stock. Because a wear pattern was beginning to show on the other tire on the other end of the axle I bought a replacement tire for it. He followed my instructions and put the jack under the jack plate, took the wheels off of the rear axle and disappeared into the cavernous bays they inhabit.

About 20 minutes before they finished putting the wheels back on, a truck pulled up with a trailer full of new tires. The manager said we were good to go but needed us to leave so that they could off load the tires. Last week I was checking pressures and noticed that the new tires were both E rated. I remember Andy saying that the E sidewalls are too thick and do not give enough cushion and could cause damage to the frame and shell.

I called the closest America's Tire and told them that we were leaving in 4 days and wanted them to replace the E rated tires with Ds. The manager asked a few questions and then said that America's Tire had replaced the C rated tire in June and that I cannot expect them to replace tires whenever I wanted. I told him that we will stop in later to have the tires replaced with Ds. Right after I ended the call, the manager at the St George store gave me numerous reasons why I did not need to have D rated tires. Called the regional office and was told that I would have two D rated tires ready for me in three days. Problem is that they wanted me to agree to replace the Goodyears with Carlisles. I have used the Carlisles in the past and almost went to small claims because the wear pattern on the tread was so severe that they would not hold up much longer.

Any way, because I have been able to get tires at very reasonable prices, will replace a defective tire and rotate them free of charge I will continue going to America's Tire but I will have to watch them more closely in the future.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Jack here? Why, I can't see whats under it, aluminum can be slippery, and 'tech's' not careful.

And it's Just RONG

Much safer HERE

Bob
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Allow me to correct a misconception:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
........ Last week I was checking pressures and noticed that the new tires were both E rated. I remember Andy saying that the E sidewalls are too thick and do not give enough cushion and could cause damage to the frame and shell. .........
Sorry, but the inflation pressure matters so much more than the sidewall thickness when it comes to *cushion*. Running LR E tires at the same pressure as LR D's is functionally equivalent.

Besides, the difference in sidewall thickness is almost non-existent. They will both have 2 plies and it is likely that the difference is in the number of cords per inch - ergo, the same thickness. Even if there is a difference in the ply cords, the difference is minimal - again, overwhelmed by the inflation pressure.

Bottom line: If you replace LR D tires with LR E and use the same pressure, you won't have any additional problems.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

Sorry, but the inflation pressure matters so much more than the sidewall thickness when it comes to *cushion*. Running LR E tires at the same pressure as LR D's is functionally equivalent.

Besides, the difference in sidewall thickness is almost non-existent. They will both have 2 plies and it is likely that the difference is in the number of cords per inch - ergo, the same thickness. Even if there is a difference in the ply cords, the difference is minimal - again, overwhelmed by the inflation pressure.

Bottom line: If you replace LR D tires with LR E and use the same pressure, you won't have any additional problems.

Thanks - you didn't use numbers so let me substitute to be triple sure I understand what you're saying.

If I replaced GYM D-rated Marathons which ran at 65 PSI with GYE E-rated tires and used the same 65 PSI on the Es (despite their sidewall max of 80 PSI) I would have the functional equivalent of a D-rated tire and would not have to worry about them being under inflated?

Is that correct?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes, that is what he has posted in a couple different threads.

inflation (under, over or correct inflation pressure) can only be compared with a load. Without a load the max pressure on the side wall means nothing.

If the loading on the tires are the same and the load capacity & inflation pressure of the tire is not being exceeded, both tires aired up with the same pressure and one tire has a D load rating and the other has an E load rating, both tires will operate and function as the same.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

Please continue correcting misconceptions.

Way too important of a topic.

Thanks

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thank you both for the clarification.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Last week I was checking pressures and noticed that the new tires were both E rated. I remember Andy saying that the E sidewalls are too thick and do not give enough cushion and could cause damage to the frame and shell.

I called the closest America's Tire and told them that we were leaving in 4 days and wanted them to replace the E rated tires with Ds.
Wow! Something new to worry about. Goodyear does not make the Endurance in 15" rim in a "D" rating.
I've never heard of anyone complaining about getting E rated tires instead of D rated.
New Airstreams come with GYE "E" rated tires.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote