Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
programmable Dometic "fancy" thermostat is "frozen" in one setting

attached is a pic of the state it's in. you can't turn it off; the light stays on, no controls work. it actually will try to turn on the furnace at 60 degrees. I tried zone + mode reset; no effect. tried pulling the AC fuse to cut power to the unit; when I restored the fuse it was in the same state. what the heck is happening here and how do I fix it?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211208_000355.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	408906  
starkruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I don't know but isn't this T-stat running on DC for control power not AC? Care to try disconnecting ALL DC power for a minute and see if it'll reboot?

Did I say this is a SWAG?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
sorry, that's AC as in "air conditioning" there, not "alternating current." pulling the AC fuse (all alternating current lines are on breakers, not fuses) killed power to the unit.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
So did you try turning off the DC power to try rebooting the T-stat?

You have the gas furnace that can run w/o shore power? Then the T -stat uses DC power.

Does the T-stat manual offer troubleshooting info?

Good luck
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Avoid auto programming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkruzr View Post
attached is a pic of the state it's in. you can't turn it off; the light stays on, no controls work. it actually will try to turn on the furnace at 60 degrees. I tried zone + mode reset; no effect. tried pulling the AC fuse to cut power to the unit; when I restored the fuse it was in the same state. what the heck is happening here and how do I fix it?!
I see you are in Austin. When we picked up our AS last year from Camper Clinic II they cautioned me not to us the programming feature or I would be bringing it back for warranty service. Buggy.
Did you do that? Maybe contact their service to see if there is a fix you can do
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
"Programmable" is the feature and the flaw

The Dometic is theoretically programmable to automatically adjust to day time/night time temps. I made the mistake of trying out the feature and had the same issue and got locked into a programming mode. Manual is about as clear as income tax instructions, but I did finally got it to reset (details which escape me now). Much easier to simply manually adjust, but then my SIL was staying in the trailer and started pressing buttons and accidentally did the same thing. Got out the manual and was able to again clear the programming mode, but I must say it is not intuitive.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Thermostat

I don’t have one of these controllers….yet. I would certainly hit the manual for it first. Others have suggested killing the power to it as a hard reboot. Agree! I have a house HVAC controller. It has two batteries in it, one AAA battery for daily use of the control panel. It also has a 2032 ‘watch’ battery to keep the fill on the motherboard. Don’t pull that one unless absolutely necessary. It’s Instructions say put in a fresh AAA before replacing the 2032. Suspect the AAA support the motherboard’s programming. Not sure how your trailer is wired up to energize that controller. Could be getting power from an unrelated circuit. May you disconnect the camper’s battery and give it a minute before reconnecting the battery clamp???
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If it helps, here's the manufacturers manual.
https://www.dometic.com/externalasse...ccc2_64755.pdf
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I also use manual only on ours. I have gotten into the same situation, while trying to program, so gave up; can't remember how I rebooted it, but there is a process in the manual I believe. I talked with some folks at Alumalina in October, who sell/install Easystart. They also have a new "replacement" model thermostat with Bluetooth to your phone which they say is much better then the Dometic. Perhaps someone here who attended can provide their contact information?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Reset

I believe if you do a factory reset following the procedure it will unlock. Dometic RV factory support is wonderful. You can call 1-800-544-4881
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchB View Post
I see you are in Austin. When we picked up our AS last year from Camper Clinic II they cautioned me not to us the programming feature or I would be bringing it back for warranty service. Buggy.
Did you do that? Maybe contact their service to see if there is a fix you can do
I did not. Only thing I ever do with it is switch modes, adjust temp, check temp and run the fan.

My unit does not have an internal battery, which was why I suspected originally that the issue was the HVAC unit itself. After cutting power to that as well I have the same issue. Also tried disconnecting the phone cable on the back. No help.

The only reset procedure detailed in the manual is the one everyone knows, unfortunately: mode + zone keys. Since you can't turn off the thermostat unit, you can't actually follow the directions since it calls for the unit to be turned off before hitting mode + zone, but that didn't help either.

I would love to replace the thermostat with something much smarter, tbh, especially something that can speak standard home automation protocols and doesn't require an internet connection for control.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkruzr View Post
I would love to replace the thermostat with something much smarter, tbh, especially something that can speak standard home automation protocols and doesn't require an internet connection for control.
Not trying to pull this topic too far afield as I'd like to see how this is fixed as well.

If you're interested in a programmable thermostat, take a look at the Microair Thermostat. (Link) Supposedly it's a drop-in replacement for the Dometic t-stat however it does appear to support programming as well as wifi. I've got it on my short list of potential upgrades next year.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
Thermostat

We had a new A/C that's air con, and thermostat. They installed that very same one in ours this past summer. First trip out, Colorado, thirty's in the morning , 80's in the afternoon.
Someone here said not very intuitive and they are absolutely correct.
We finally pulled the cover off the thermostat, unplug the "phone cord" from the back wait a couple of seconds, and it resets.
I cant tell you how many time we did that, and a lot of cursing.
Dometic really needs to do something better.
we finally got heat when we needed it and air con, but what a trip.
Oh, BTW the instructions Do not help one bit. 3-4-5 pages of no help.
We finally looked at a You Tube video that showed actually How to.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We're all assuming the unit is functioning and just difficult to understand. I think before I invested a lot of wasted days trouble shooting, I'd buy a new one and see if it wakes up. $134 Amazon.
Assuming it once worked, and the RJ-11 (flipped) cable is intact as well as the dip switches at the A/C units.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Little rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Not trying to pull this topic too far afield as I'd like to see how this is fixed as well.

If you're interested in a programmable thermostat, take a look at the Microair Thermostat. (Link) Supposedly it's a drop-in replacement for the Dometic t-stat however it does appear to support programming as well as wifi. I've got it on my short list of potential upgrades next year.

I really like my MicroAir. I can adjust the temp via Bluetooth from my phone and that’s especially helpful at night. Easy install and when you do you’ll be amazed at how the phone jack soldered to the circuit board on that dometic ever made it down the road. Great improvement!
Dtrentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"If I ever go on life support, unplug me... and then plug me back in, see if that works."
Amanamus

Worth a try. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"If I ever go on life support, unplug me... and then plug me back in, see if that works."

Amanamus

Worth a try. [emoji106]

Bob

[emoji631]
Worked for me.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrentr View Post
I really like my MicroAir. I can adjust the temp via Bluetooth from my phone and that’s especially helpful at night. Easy install and when you do you’ll be amazed at how the phone jack soldered to the circuit board on that dometic ever made it down the road. Great improvement!
yea, MicroAir is the one I mentioned above, they were selling at Alumalina at their booth! Several folks purchased and liked these...control with your phone also. Said these were much better than the Dometic...I still use my Dometic however...one of these days...maybe get the new one...maybe....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
well, I explained everything to the Dometic rep over the phone and she said "it's almost never a bad thermostat, but... that's a bad thermostat." Guess that settles that. Maybe I'll look into one of those smart units!
Old 12-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post

Do you have any idea if these MicroAir units play nicely with home automation systems like HomeAssistant, etc.?