Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Need help with furnace

I desperatly need some help with my furnace on a 25' 1996 excella. I bought a new igniter today and this is the first time trying to use the furnace. I have gone through all of the steps but can't seam to get any action anywhere in the system. First of all I am not sure I am even using the right thermostat. There is one in the back for the fantastic fan that says Honeywell on it. Second there is one on the oak wall in the front for the AC. But the only choices there are cool or heat pump. Am I just stupid or is there another thermostat hiding somewhere????

Please help the confused old man

Steve
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Dunno about your thermostat, but my furnace had a trick: in order to get it to run, one had to go outside, open the little door where it "lives," then remove a panel held in place with two screws, and behind that panel was an "on-off" rocker switch. Once set to "on" and the thermostat turned up (and the switch on the bottom of the thermostat set to "on") - it took right off. Well, almost. It seems that the furnace and thermostat need a minute or two to recognize a call for heat. So on mine, you nudge the thermostat setting up just a bit and wait two or three minutes. Wait a couple of minutes more and nudge it up a little. Pretty soon you get to the point where it "knows" you want heat, the igniter does enough "tries" to get the air out of the propane line, and it takes off. My thermostat is on front wall in front of refrigerator.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
I am mystified that the "Honeywell" thermostat controls the Fantastic Fan -- mine have the thermostat built into the fan housing. The other thermostat is for your A/C - Heat Pump combo.

Be that as it may -- there must be a thermostat somewhere for the furnace. Mine is on the aft bulkhead, street side.

With the thermostat set to "on" and a desired temp set above the ambient, the furnace fan should kick on. A "sail switch" will close as a result of the airflow and the igniter will engage followed shortly by the gas valve opening (which is audible). If the furnace lights, a thermocouple will detect the flame and the safety circuit on the motherboard will keep everything running.

No fan = no airflow = igniter does not light and gas never cuts on

Fan but no igniter = no flame = gas shut off

Fan, igniter but no gas = no flame = gas shut off

This should help you determine the problem. However, unless you are really handy and/or have experience working with gas appliances, you probably ought to seek professional help.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
The fan does not come on at all. I think my first step is to determine where the darn thermostat is. Would airstream tie the furnace into the fantastic fan thermostat?? On the Honeywell thermostat it actually says Fantastic Fan. I have looked the trailer over 10 times for another one and I just do not see one there. The one for the AC is on the oak pannel wall next to the fridge facing the couch. Does anyone know where it should be at. I really do not think I am getting power to the fan.
slk is offline   Reply With Quote