Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Unhappy Where did my furnace go?

It was a bit cold this morning .. so I decided to turn the furnace on for a heat blast. Much to my amazement ... when I turned on my Duo-Therm "Comfort Control" panel and cycled through the options ..."Furnace" was no longer available. All I have is ... Fan, Cool and Heat Pump.

So, I went outside and checked the furnace .. the switch is on .. and the inline fuse is not tripped. I'm baffled.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Comfort control panel? Cycling through options?

Exactly what was wrong with a switch with three settings: Heat/Off/Cool?

We recently sold an office building. One of the major improvements was I had replaced all 25 or so computerized thermostats with Honeywell mechanical units. No one could ever understand how to program the computerized models. Batteries failed. Circuit boards failed. It was just insane. After the change NOT ONE TENANT ever called to ask how to switch from "heat" to "cool". My thermostat service call expense dropped to precisely $0.00.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
It was a bit cold this morning .. so I decided to turn the furnace on for a heat blast. Much to my amazement ... when I turned on my Duo-Therm "Comfort Control" panel and cycled through the options ..."Furnace" was no longer available. All I have is ... Fan, Cool and Heat Pump.

So, I went outside and checked the furnace .. the switch is on .. and the inline fuse is not tripped. I'm baffled.
Porky, this may sound like a stupid question, but did you have that setting before?
Terry
Old 05-16-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Porky, this may sound like a stupid question, but did you have that setting before?
Terry
Yes ... I had the "option" to choose the Furnace .. or maybe it was labled "heat" ... now I am unable to do that.

I do not have a way to choose the Atwood Furnace .. select a temperature and turn it on. Perhaps the board to the furnace is bad?

Looks like I'll be giving AS a call on Monday.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 05-17-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
It's a board problem

Porky...you aren't losing your mind...my Bambi has the same thermostat and "furnace" is one of the options. Because the unit uses a board to cycle through and manage the options, it is most likely a board problem.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Just a follow up to my furnace problem.

I talked with Jim at Airstream ... he suggested I check the "blue wire" and if that failed .. to climb up on the roof .. remove the AC shroud .. and check the dip switch.

So I put a meter on the blue wire .. and sure enough ... the side running from the AC was dead. So I got off my lazy pig butt ... climbed up on top ... and sure 'nuff ... the dip switch for the furnace wasn't totally switched over to the ON position. Must have vibrated loose.

Anyway ... we're warm now.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 06-29-2004, 05:15 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Just a follow up to my furnace problem.

I talked with Jim at Airstream ... he suggested I check the "blue wire" and if that failed .. to climb up on the roof .. remove the AC shroud .. and check the dip switch.

So I put a meter on the blue wire .. and sure enough ... the side running from the AC was dead. So I got off my lazy pig butt ... climbed up on top ... and sure 'nuff ... the dip switch for the furnace wasn't totally switched over to the ON position. Must have vibrated loose.

Anyway ... we're warm now.
At least it was an easy fix. Hope heights don't bother you.
Terry
Old 07-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Thanks for the update

Since we have almost the same setup as you have, I was hoping that the root cause would work out to be easy to identify and easier to fix.
Glad it wasn’t “cosmic rays” working on your software or “little green gremlins” that sneak around looking to make perfectly good equipment act-up when they are needed.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote