Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not think reliability is an issue. But trying to get warranty work and trying to get them to do something out of theie comfort zone might be a bad idea. Hold off on the Easy start and have it done by someone familiar with it. No.t a necessary item unless you really need to run the AC on a 2000 generator now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have only two stickers on my airstream, air forum and micro air!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Big Pine Key , Florida
Installed mine myself on Tuesday and it seems to work fine. I am on shore power and living in the AS full-time (hurricane repairs on the sticks and bricks still on going) and have had no issues as the A/C runs full time here in the Islands of the Florida Keys.

I only had a few installation issues. The first was the double stick tape they send you when you buy the additional install kit. I stuck it on the box and then tried to pull it off the 'other' side. No go. So back down the ladder and off to the hardware store to get Outdoor rated double stick tape. This worked out better anyway as I was able to cover more surface area for a better mount. The second was the directions state to remove the existing start capacitor. There is a small hex head bolt on a curved metal band and the only way to remove it would require removing the run capacitor to get to that bolt. I just unhooked all the wires to it and left it there. Should not hurt anything. The last problem was the 'learning' instructions. At 2PM with no A/C on and the bright Florida sun even in Feb the temp inside the metal toaster was 90 degrees, which is the max you can turn up the thermostat on the Dometic. I used the vents finally during this process to get it down to 87 degrees but am not sure if the learn procedure was messed up because of not following the 5 starts in the sequence stated in the instructions.

I do not have a small generator to test it but the Dometic is cooling all the time the same as it was before the install so as long as everything works so far? Does anyone know if my flub of the learning procedure is going to be an issue or not?

I have had the Airstream for about a month and a half now and really like it otherwise. I did not expect to have to have to do as many mods as I have though. Dometic soft close wood seat on the Thetford toilet. Learning PEX pluming and drilling in the floor behind the black tank for more room to install a Genie Bidet on the toilet. Replacing all of the screens and Fantastic Fan pop covers with No See Um screens (those buggers are mean but I did not replace the screens over the dinette as I would have had to take down the overhead cabinetry to get to the top part). Installing cam locks on the battery and bumper compartments. Converting the bayonet 3" sewer to improved fluid couplers to use the Wastemaster system, mud dauber screens on the propane vents, Max Air covers over the Fantastic Fans, figuring out how to take out the blue ray player to get to the wiring to install a DishTV on a portable tripod antenna using the existing trailer satellite input (no helpful videos on this topic), sealing all the little (and one 1" X 3" under the water heater) holes under the trailer with expanding insect foam to keep out the critters, ect.

Mitch
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

...my first post....
Mitchsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Clearwater , Florida
Easy Start

I live in Florida and just went through the same process. I got a simila answer from the dealer in Alachua. They’re super nice, but said connections coming loose was a common issue they experienced. I got the opposite reaction from the dealer in Ft Myers who is willing to install but has a waiting list for service several months long. That was the same story in Tampa but they seemed less familiar with the installation. That said, I read many installation streams on this Forum and decided to do it myself. The MicroAir instructions are extremely thorough and the install was easy and predictable. Of the DIY projects I’ve endeavored in my life, this is the first one that involved electronics and it wasn’t intimidating at all. I did pay special attention to making really good “crimps” and connections where I had to modify wiring connections. I finished the install last weekend but I didn’t have a 30amp connection for the final step which is cycling the air conditioner on and off about 5 times for the Easy Start unit to “learn”. I have a campsite reservation this weekend to complete that step.
Mwgautreau is offline   Reply With Quote