Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
How reliable is the Easy Start?

Just got off the phone with a dealership here in Florida with a good rep for service that did a great job for us last week. We have an appointment scheduled a month from now for some more warranty work. I called to ask if they installed the MicroAir Easy Start, because I wanted to set up an install for when they had our trailer.

I was told that they quit installing them because they had experienced so many problems with the devices after installation. Was told the units "broke" and "fell apart".

I know a lot of folks on this forum have installed these units or had them installed. Have any of you had problems with the devices failing, breaking?

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have never seen a report of failure on here. "Broke" and "fell apart" sound like generic excuses not to do something to me. There are multiple soft start devices on the market. They may not be talking specifically about the EasyStart device. It looked to be well made to me.

I have seen reports of people having difficulty getting them running after a DIY install. All were corrected when the unit was properly wired. One has to wade through several wiring diagrams to get the one that is appropriate for one's trailer. I had mine installed by EasyStart at the Salem WBCCI International Rally. They also came to Alumalina. Check to see if they are coming to a rally near you. They had a buy one, get free installation deal at the rallies.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Mine has been fine for 3 years now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Our Eazy Start has been operational for about 3 years. It has been so reliable that I have not given it another thought. We run our 15K AC using a Yamaha 2400 generator (which has been converted to run on propane).
Old 02-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I installed one on our 13.5K AC with no run issues. I had a DIY installation problem and their customer support was fantastic. Last year at an owner’s forum at our local dealer I asked about the Easy Start they hadn’t heard about it. Now they install them for customers.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We attended a dealer customer seminar on Saturday. Ultimate Airstream made a presentation and one of the upgrades they make is an Onan generator that mounts on the tongue with 40lb alum tanks, a transfer switch and relocated battery bank. As part of that, they suggest AC operation with a soft-start modification. So, one of the two AS authorized upgraders is recommending the modification. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No easy start issues here.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
"Broke and fell apart" !!!!!

Oh my! Run away from them. If you ever saw the construction of the Easy Start you would know this cannot be true. Now if they installed it wrong, bad on them!

I've owned two with two different trailers. Works perfectly and as they describe. I ran one with a honda 2000i and the present one with a Honda 2200i and even better choice.

Installed myself on both.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sounds like a) no clue what they are talking about, and b) no desire to install one. I call BS on their statements.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sounds bogus! Considering that I have installed well over 100 Easy Start units and have not had a single issue with any of them, these folks are probably blowing smoke!!!

I would definitely get one, as they are well made and do exactly what they say!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the input folks.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have two of them for two years now and no problems. I also have several friends with then and never heard a complaint.

The only negative I can say is the installation instructions are not very clear. Fortunately I have a strong electrical background but I was still a little nervous when I first turned the A/C. Otherwise a fine product and customer support seems to be well regarded.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
We love our EasyStarts and have not had any issues.

We own a 2018 Airstream Classic 30RB Twin with two Dometic Penguin II Rooftop Air Conditioner / Heat Pump units in 13,500 and 15,000 BTU capacities. In the past, we needed at least a 30 amp service to run a single unit, or 50 amps to run both units simultaneously. As an engineer who has managed data centers, I understand the power demands of air conditioning units and their inherent starting power surges. I did my research and purchased a pair of EasyStart 364's from Micro-Air before even taking delivery of our new Airstream.

We were at an Airstream rally ("Alumalina") in Marion, NC and the Micro-Air folks were there, demonstrating, selling, and installing the EasyStart 364. I jumped at the offer to have them install my units. It had been a hot humid summer and as a newbie, I had been dreading going up on the roof. I knew the Micro-Air folks had done hundreds of installations on Airstreams and knew how to climb up on the roof without damaging our precious aluminum.

Alas, the Micro-Air team had to head home to New Jersey after doing all the installations but ours. Kevin from Micro-Air apologized profusely for not getting to us in NC and he made good on it by arranging to have an experienced dealer perform the installations four days later at our next stop near Charleston, SC. Patrick from Atlantic Boat ACR of John's Island, SC came to our site and installed the units. Not only did Patrick do the installations professionally and quickly, but he also set our minds at ease by letting us know he had owned an Airstream Excella and had installed many EasyStart units. Despite a passing thundershower, Patrick was able to get the units installed within two hours and we were all able to go about the day to do our sightseeing in Charleston.

Today we can run either one of our air conditioners on a 15 amp 110V AC Shore Power -- or both --simultaneously on 30 amps. We also have a pair on Honda EU2200i generators we use when boondocking. We can run either one of our air conditioners on a single generator or both simultaneously when we pair the generators. And of course, we can use the heat pump feature of the Dometic units to keep us warm using the same power requirements.

Now we can live in comfort without worry - no matter what the weather!

(This may sound like a paid endorsement but it is not. We are just happy customers!)
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
Dreamin Bout Airstreaming

2019 27' Globetrotter
Savannah , Georgia
Love my Easy Start! I'm going on two years and not one problem. Great company to work with as well. Easy to install if you're a handy person. Works amazingly well.
jamiecribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had our Easy Start for about a year now. SuEllyn installed it herself. We have about 150 nights of Airstreaqm camping since then. The Easy Start has worked flawlessly. It sounds like that dealer does not want to mess with it. That would be a sign to me that their technicians are not very competent. I would not want that dealer touching my Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I installed mine. Located a PDF file on their website for my particular AC to correct my miswiiring . The written instructions aren’t as clear as the visual PDF. Locate it for easy self installation.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
We have had our self-installed EasyStart for 2.5 years with nary an issue. Once you see the unit's enclosure you'll know the dealer was describing another manufacturer's device as there is no way it can "fall apart" once mounted. Count us among the highly satisfied consumer base.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Hard Start Reliability

A 2000W Honda inverter generator wouldn't kick off the 13,500 unit we had on a 2008 Jayco until we spent a few minutes installing a Supco Hard Start unit.

Then it became 'The Little Generator That Could', as my wife said.

Hard starts on our '17 FC with 13,500 and 15,000 units as well. That'll take 2 gennys if we boondock but that's not entirely the point.

A hard start also gives a needed boost to your AC unit(s) when operating on shore power; shorter start times reduce the load on the compressor's start winding which may translate into longer service life. Home central units can benefit from these as well, just match your compressor's rating with the needed unit. Plus, you likely won't have to get up on the roof to do the installation yourself...

Hard starts don't 'fall apart'; nothing more than a higher-rated start capacitor and relay to drop it out of the circuit once the assisted device is up and running, typically a fraction of a second. I suppose either component could fail at some point but I'd go with the experiences of the readership here and elsewhere--it just doesn't seem to happen.
emelaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #19
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not sure of " Supco Hard Start", but Dometics have had hard starts for years. However, the Dometics are just a large start capacitor, where as, the Micro-Air Easy Start is an electronic start control unit that is installed in place of the Hard Start capacitor and the thermistor. Not only does it soften the the start by 70%, but it conditions the line voltage so as to lengthen the service life of the unit. I have had my two for about a year and they are so quiet I forget they are there. Yes, they have been trouble free.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I agree with guskmg. A hard start capacitor is not the same as the easy start. On Easy Start website is a video comparing the difference between the two.