Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Is a second A/C unit a “must have?”

Hi all -

27FB 2017 model year

Am I at a disadvantage if I choose a single a/c fitted on a 27’ trailer (Serenity)?

Thanks
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Well, here's my experience. We had a 2010 Flying Cloud 27FB, with a single 15K air conditioner, for 8 years. We rarely used the air conditioner on our ventures in California and the Pacific Northwest, but when we needed it, such as on summer trips to the Southwest (Vegas, Utah, etc), the single AC was totally inadequate. In Despite deploying the full awning set in 100 degree temperatures, the temp inside got down to maybe 90 with the AC running 100%.

We considered adding a 2nd AC to the 27FB. However, we decided to pick up a 30 Classic with 2 ACs, and the experience so far in those environs is good.

So, the short answer is it depends where you expect to use it - in summer trips to the south and southwest, I think you will need it. Staying in the pacific northwest, one is probably fine.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Thanks for your feedback - that’s great info.

I’m curious - what’s the cost to add the unit after delivery if anyone knows

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Is a second A/C unit a “must have?”

It costs $11k to add one after the fact, not including the cost of getting the unit back to JC for the install - it is not trivial “drop in” witch the ducted system.

There is another thread on the forum where someone got a quote from JC.

You should absolutely get the second AC. The ducted system really requires two units to work properly for trailers 25’ and up IMHO. It’s standard on 30’s and I am not sure why they haven’t made it standard on shorter units - the volume of air to cool is not much different on a 27 or 28.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
I've got two AC's

Purchased my second Airstream last year, a 25 Signature FB. Looking for a used one but found a deal on a new 2017. It had several extras including the two AC's. Being in the Pacific Northwest I thought this was a bit redundant but since the price was right I went for it.
Then on my regular migration to Anza Borrego desert this March I found that this extra AC was great. The two zones and ducted AC are a nice upgrade.
So the answer is, depends where you will be going. If you're anywhere near a desert environment the two AC's are a plus. And I would expect on anything longer than a 25 with more volume, all the more so.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Hi all -

27FB 2017 model year

Am I at a disadvantage if I choose a single a/c fitted on a 27’ trailer (Serenity)?

Thanks
Scott,
I think so. I'm almost embarrassed to say.........this is my 4th Airstream; the first with 2 ACs and I'm here to tell you, it makes a HUGE difference. A matter-of-fact, I don't even think Airstream Adventures Northwest order any of their 25' and up trailers with only one AC (at least that was my observation). Not sure about the 23s (because we weren't looking for anything smaller than 25'); that's gotta tell you something. I think Wulfraat's analysis is correct, it's just so expensive to add a second AC after the fact, that it makes more sense to buy an Airstream with two ACs and not need them, than to add it later. I'm not sure if the ducted air factors into the 2 AC equation, but it doesn't seem to blow as hard as the Airstreams we had without (ducted).............but a heck of A LOT quieter. That's a lot of words just to say............go with two.
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #7

2018 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
We just picked up our 2018 Int'l Sig 28 RB last week. It came with two a/c units, thank God. We are planning on keeping it in Kansas but we bought it in Texas and have it registered in Texas. We spent the first night just about an hour north of Fort Worth (where we bought it) and we definitely needed both units. It was 98 degrees outside but within a half hour of plugging in and turning the a/c units on, we were pretty cool. Slept that first night at 68 degrees.

The only negative about having two units, imho, is that they require having 50 amp service instead of the traditional 30 amp service. We plan on staying primarily at State and National campgrounds and it appears that there are much fewer 50 amp sites than 30. We also plan on heading to Canada and from what I've seen so far, most of their Provincial campgrounds don't have 50 amp service available. I know that we can get a dog bone converter that will allow us to run on 30 amp service and I'm researching now exactly what we'll be able to run under those conditions.

I know there's some experience out there with this situation and would be really interested to hear how you make it work.

Ultimately, I'm really happy to have the two a/c units.
laughing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
When we had our 25'FC in 2011, the 13k a.c. was very inadequate for July in Daytona. We now have a 30 with two a.c. and no problems cooling. Ours is not ducted but that would be a plus I believe. 50 amp power hookup is huge plus and you can always use adapter to hook up to 30 knowing that usable power inside is limited.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing55 View Post
We just picked up our 2018 Int'l Sig 28 RB last week. It came with two a/c units, thank God. We are planning on keeping it in Kansas but we bought it in Texas and have it registered in Texas. We spent the first night just about an hour north of Fort Worth (where we bought it) and we definitely needed both units. It was 98 degrees outside but within a half hour of plugging in and turning the a/c units on, we were pretty cool. Slept that first night at 68 degrees.

The only negative about having two units, imho, is that they require having 50 amp service instead of the traditional 30 amp service. We plan on staying primarily at State and National campgrounds and it appears that there are much fewer 50 amp sites than 30. We also plan on heading to Canada and from what I've seen so far, most of their Provincial campgrounds don't have 50 amp service available. I know that we can get a dog bone converter that will allow us to run on 30 amp service and I'm researching now exactly what we'll be able to run under those conditions.

I know there's some experience out there with this situation and would be really interested to hear how you make it work.

The nice thing about Canada is that precisely where you probably will not find 50a service (provincial/national parks), you likely WILL be in a shaded spot. So, even when the days get up to 34 celcius, you will likely be OK with just the main unit running. At least, that is our experience.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I have a 27 ft with ducted ac, one unit. I agree with the consensus above, ie, that if you are in 100 degree heat, you will want two units. That said, the fifty amp power cord is heavy and more of a hassle to use, and the times we wished we had a second ac are, so far, very limited. Then again, we do live in the Pacific NW.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
30 is no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing55 View Post

Our 25 FC is 50 amp as well (2 ACs) and it's the first time we've owned a trailer with 50 amp capability. So far it's been a "no brainer" (which is good for me). I use the dogbone at home (30 amp) and the Airstream figures it out. When we need air conditioning, only one zone operates (one AC) automatically. However, you need to add up the numbers on how many amps the appliances you have turned on in the trailer are drawing. Once you get to 30........you're done. Somethings gotta give and it's usually the circuit breaker (thankfully). I had no clue about such stuff (and still don't to a certain extent), but here's a good thread which kinda breaks it down http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ces-96881.html
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Better to not need and have, than to need and not have
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
We have a 25' with 2 ACs. Living in Texas, 2 units a the only way to go. When it's in upper 90's and 100+ we use our 50amp cord and camp where there's 50amp hookups. If staying at a park where we know there will only be 30amp I take a smaller cable that has a 30amp plug and a 50amp on the trailer side. I use this same cable when the trailer is in storage. It's light and significantly less expensive than the 50amp cable. This is also the cable I use if running on the generator.

2 A/Cs and 50amp use is usually limited to 3 months a year for us but I wouldn't have our trailer with just one unit. The 2 units allow us to camp in the middle to late summer when temps go over 100. We wouldn't be able to use our trailer during those months without both units.

My suggestion is to get 2 A/Cs and buy the smaller cable. This gives you a back up unit if one acts up on a trip and it keeps your options open if you want a beach trip in the middle of summer when it's hot and no shade. Just because you have 2 units doesn't mean you have to run both. Get the smaller cable and store the large one!

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Get the dual air/50 amp. Not even a question.

Our new 28 is great with both AC’s running. I tried just running one AC unit on a trip to Florida,, and it was inadequate.
Cheap to get the dual air now. Big bucks to convert.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Another vote for two.

We have only one AC.

On hot days parked in full sun it is a struggle to stay cool.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Yep, get the 2nd AC along with 30A cord and 30/50 adapter/dogbone. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
The one thing I miss with 2 ac units is the generator plug on the front. 50amp means you loose the front generator plug. I'm currently working to add this so I don't have to run the cable when stopping on the road.

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
The one thing I miss with 2 ac units is the generator plug on the front. 50amp means you loose the front generator plug. I'm currently working to add this so I don't have to run the cable when stopping on the road.

I would like to get the details when you do that mod as I had the same thought.

Anyone know why the 50 amps don’t have the generator plug?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #19
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Two ACs would be good. Above 90 my single is ineffective
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sncnidaho View Post
Scott,
I think so. I'm almost embarrassed to say.........this is my 4th Airstream; the first with 2 ACs and I'm here to tell you, it makes a HUGE difference. A matter-of-fact, I don't even think Airstream Adventures Northwest order any of their 25' and up trailers with only one AC (at least that was my observation). Not sure about the 23s (because we weren't looking for anything smaller than 25'); that's gotta tell you something. I think Wulfraat's analysis is correct, it's just so expensive to add a second AC after the fact, that it makes more sense to buy an Airstream with two ACs and not need them, than to add it later. I'm not sure if the ducted air factors into the 2 AC equation, but it doesn't seem to blow as hard as the Airstreams we had without (ducted).............but a heck of A LOT quieter. That's a lot of words just to say............go with two.
Ditto! We had 3- 25' AS's with single AC and they worked "ok" for most of our camping which is in the NW Rockies in summer and TX in winter. Then we moved to CA for couple years...Borrego Springs area camping, even in winter, we could not quite get comfortable. Then there was a trip thru Vegas at 118 at 9pm; that did it for us! We could not get down below 100 so we moved to a hotel room for the night before moving on!
Fast forward- we got a 28' last year with 2 AC's; went to NC and southern states including 2 weeks in FL; the second AC will get you comfortable much faster for sure especially nice when humid out...we turn down to just using one AC once we reach that comfort level.
So, yes, I would recommend 2 AC's for your comfort and also resale.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote