Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #1

cutting 14 x 14 hole in roof

I need pro and con info for cuttin a 14 x 14 hole in roof for a/c unit where the old orig unit was. framing the hole and any other info. has anyone done this? I have a 1966 globe trotter

Thanks
Michael
mwillis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
If the old unit was there, why are you cutting a new hole? The old one probably occupied such a hole. If not, it's easy. I got this from Lou Patterson, here on the forums, you want to reinforce the hole with 1 3/4 inch wide u-channel. Cutting can be done with a spiral saw, dremel with a cutter wheel (takes forever!) or another power saw with a metal cutting wheel.

Now, one other thing. Sometimes, the AC does NOT go where a vent used to be. Sometimes it goes someplace else. However, if you have an old unit there, then I bet you have it in the right spot.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I guess this would be "CON"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillis1970
I need pro and con info for cuttin a 14 x 14 hole in roof for a/c unit where the old orig unit was...
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum.

If your original unit did not require a 14 inch square hole, it is/was the original Bay Breeze unit made by the Armstrong Furnace company. To me, it is worth saving because it performs extremely well.

Details on how I returned my Bay Breeze to operation are at my website (see link in my signature) should you care to pursue this course of action. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I am not sure if you are cutting the hole in a trailer that has never had the A/C installed or not.
If you have no A/C then I strongly urge you to contact Airstream Tech Support to obtain the information as to where to cut the hole.
I am partial to the 1970's era Airstreams and Argosys due to the fact that they have all of the wiring and support up in the roof already. I am not sure when they started adding this.
If you have to cut the hole use a good quality wheel on a RotoZip or a similar power tool. I had to use a masonary wheel on the exterior as the aircraft aluminum chewed up the standard cutting wheel in no time.
I also supported the sides of the hole using 1 3/4" aluminum C-channel. This was what was recommended by Airstream Tech Support.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #5

does the 1 3/4 u channel just frame the opening on left and right or front and back also. and if just left and right do these somehow connect to the existing supports or simply frame out the opening
thanks
michael
mwillis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote