Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
Zoltan

1990 34' Excella
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
A/C dripping

The A/C (Coleman Super Mach) in my 1990 Excella 1000 works fine but drips water inside. The drip pan is clean, the drain pipe is fine but the condensation goes into the discharge duct collar - and not into the pan - and ends up on the floor or in the bucket if I am not too late. Is there anything I can clean or change there? Thanks.
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Level

Maybe some one has placed something under the AC to level the unit.

The unit is not supposed to be level on the roof. I actually tils towards the back of the trailer. It appears level when the cover is on but the actual cooling unit is sitting tilted.

Also, I have seen where the unit has been tightend or pulled to tight to the skin of the trailer and caused the unit to leak into the unit.

Is your AC unit an after market or OEM?
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Zoltan

1990 34' Excella
The unit is OEM. How can I tell if is tilted or how can I tilt it? There is nothing I can see "to level" the unit.
Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Under cover

If it is OEM it is probably already "tilted".

It is not actually tilted but it "appears" titled when you have the cover off of the unit. Tilted is the position it is installed.

If you remove the cover it will be apparent what I am describing. The "dump" section (where the cool air enters the trailer is sitting on a gasket. The gasket tends to lift the forward end of the unit (end towards front of trailer).

The rear (end towards rear of trailer) of the AC unit sits on the roof without anything holding it up, therefore, the unit sits high at the forward end and "sags" at the rear end, hence giving it a "tilted" orientation.

There is no way to level the unit. What I mean is that the unit is not supposed to be leveled. It is supposed to sit on the roof at the rear of the unit.

I am leaning towards the gasket is compressed incorrectly and there is a slight gap. The water is finding its way to the gap, (gravity is hell), and leaking into your Trailer.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Zoltan

1990 34' Excella
Thanks. I will investigate.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #6

Weep Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltan
The A/C (Coleman Super Mach) in my 1990 Excella 1000 works fine but drips water inside. The drip pan is clean, the drain pipe is fine but the condensation goes into the discharge duct collar - and not into the pan - and ends up on the floor or in the bucket if I am not too late. Is there anything I can clean or change there? Thanks.
The weep hole is clogged at the bottom of the evaporator pan. Lift the coil up high enough to stick a pen or pencil down to clear the hole. My drain hole was full of Polly Nose’s, works fine since cleaning. It dose take some time to disassemble the AC. Remove the AC cover then remove the metal evaporator cover with its many screws. You can then see the evaporator coil, then lift it carefully (It can crush easily) on the left of the pan you will find a small weep hole, clean it and the bottom of the pan. If you don't wash out the pan the stuff will just fill it again.
funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Zoltan

1990 34' Excella
Thanks, I will try it again. I cleaned the the pan before, also the drain hose, still the same problem.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #8

Two Drain Pans

There are two pans the evaporator pan and the cover (shroud) pan that the hose leading to the ground is attached. The evaporator pan looks like it is a part of the evaporator; it drains into the lower pan.
funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Still could be gasket seal..

When our A/C acted as a sprinkler, we assumed it was drip pan and drain hose, til we were inside during rain shower and discovered similar showers when unit turned off.

Problem really old cracked foam rubber in square gasket sealer around opening in roof/pan. Had shop unbolt and lift unit, replace gasket and rebolt, and unit has not leaked a drop inside when raining or unit blowing cold air...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote