Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
Magic chef oven

We have a 64 globetrotter and in the process of cleaning it up and doing some restorations. The oven/stove is a magic chef and the oven does not work. We don't know what is wrong with it except the previous owner said it may be the lighter element. Is it worth it to have it worked on and restored and do any of you know who does something like that? Thanks!
Airstream76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Manual lighter

If the burners work and the pilot works ( I'm assuming it is a standing pilot) in the oven. Why can't you lite the burners or pilot with a match or one of those long stemmed lighters used for lighting a BBQ?
Will the pilot in the oven light? If so and it goes out when you release the button, maybe all it needs it a new thermo couple or adjustment of the existing thermocouple.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
The oven will not light at all and the burners will only light with a match. I am concerned about safety too.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I had a mobile repair guy come out to try and fix mine. A hundred dollars later it still didn't work so I ordered a new one from Camping World and hope to have it installed next week.
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
What brand did you buy?? If you don't mind my asking.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I had the same problem. I ended up picking up two RV stoves and ovens that work for free. We have not decided which one we are going to go with. I think if you shop e-bay and craiglist you can get what you need at a very reasonable price.

Brian
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I ordered a Magic Chef. They only come in 3 burners for the stove now instead of four. It was really the only one that would fit my space where the old one was without making changes in the cabinetry. I too was worried about the safety of my old one.
Camping World had the best price after you factored in shipping costs. Plus if you join the President's Club, it knocked another 10% off the price.
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
The 1960's Magic Chef ovens used in Airstreams seem to have a common thread: thermostat or safety valve goes bad, or the 1/8" gas line from safety valve to pilot unit breaks due to vibration. Parts obsolete.

Most folks seem to replace them with newer Magic Chefs or Camping World specials for safety/parts availability reasons.

Several similar threads in Interior: Stoves, ovens & microwave forum.

PLEASE DON'T TRASH THEM!

I'm determined to collect enough dead parts from them to have my overpaid young guy engineering staff reverse engineer a fix or at least confirm the problem and share results.

It's become an obsession.

Wanted: Magic Chef Thermostat, Safety Valve and oven pilot units. All easily removed and I'll buy them or at least pay shipping.

Good luck with yours
Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
We have a '66 Caravel and an appliance repairman (also a friend) looked at ours and said the pilot light was broke and there was no replacement parts for it. I had thought Magic Chef was no longer in production, or was it just that model or piece? I thought Amana bought them.

At any rate, we were hoping someone would want or be able to use the oven parts.

Jerri Lawson
CS
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I turned the pilot off on the my Magic Chef. It worked with the pilot, but why burn the gas if I only use the stove top morning and evening. I use a long stem lighter.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Hey jerbear315,
if you replace your unit I'm interested in parts from your old one. The thermostat and safety valve for sure, perhaps the oven rack and broiler pan.
The pilot unit seems to be another weak link in these old magic chefs.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
Hey Walter,

I replaced the unit in my 65 Caravel. The burners worked on the old magic chef. The oven worked for awhile then quit. Anyway, you are welcome to the old one if you want it. the old unit fits nicely in the shipping box for the new unit. I can send you the whole thing if it would be of use to you?
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I turned the pilot off on the my Magic Chef. It worked with the pilot, but why burn the gas if I only use the stove top morning and evening. I use a long stem lighter.
I just assumed that was the way you were supposed to light the burners. The things you learn by reading the forums.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1 View Post
Hey jerbear315,
if you replace your unit I'm interested in parts from your old one. The thermostat and safety valve for sure, perhaps the oven rack and broiler pan.
The pilot unit seems to be another weak link in these old magic chefs.
We are going to replace it, the question is, when will we get around it...

We have deemed our first priority replacing the axel, and wood floor in bathroom and belly pan.

I will hunt down this thread when we rip it out!
Jerri
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks jerbear315,
When you get to it I'll still be interested. I'm trying to fix mine and other airstreamers ovens.

StanZ, thanks, I can come down to Vallejo and get your old one.
I'll write you.
Thanks, Walter
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey- I'm in the process of re-starting our '64 Magic Chef range, and I have a second one that might be good for parts. There are a lot of people restoring old ranges in the SF Bay Area, and these are better made than a lot of stuff out there new. You can have the valves re bushed or whatever they do, new therm couple and I think its pretty simple. I'll let you know....