Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Rivet microwave above the stove? why not??

Okay, I realize the walls are curved and the ribbing is probably not strong enough without adding extra support but what if there was a way...? I would really like to figure out this little problem because that's where I really want my microwave/convection over to go. Nope, I need the regular oven too since I love to bake and I plan to be a full timer. My Escape Pod is a '68 Sovereign that I get to renovate from scratch...so why can't I, right?

Any suggestions?
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you could install a couple of support beams on top of the stove counter to bottom of the microwave / hood vent.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To each his/her own

Hi, I fulltime, mostly stationary, but also travelling alone. There are so many choices it's sometimes hard to decide what to do. I'm making some modifications in my 2006 FB SE and I've mentally played around with a lot of options. SPACE is always going to be the prime consideration. I've learned I can't buy a blouse without throwing another one out.
  • SPACE SAVERS: Smaller Airstreams use a two burner cooktop - Do you really need three? A two burner cooktop increases your counter space which might allow you to simply put a convection microwave on the counter. A Single sink - New CCD's have a big deep round single sink called the "lobster bowl" - if you want this as opposed to two small shallow sinks, again you gain counterspace to use for the convection microwave.
  • A convection/microwave replaces a propane oven - except when you don't have an electrical hookup... but there are out of doors alternatives.
  • I've become a fan of dutch oven cooking recently and am actually doing a whole lot more outdoor cooking. (How to win friends and influence people... let them get one whiff of cherry cobbler or stew cooking!) Do a search for Dutch Oven Cooking.
  • INDOOR cooking problems: odors permeate everything and linger. In summer, baking or broiling inside turns your whole Airsteam into a Turkish bath. In winter, condensation from cooking, bathing and simply breathing can be an issue. Frying anything greases up half your trailer. In decent weather you'll prefer to cook outside, you will have a dutch oven, a gas grill, or both so perhaps two ovens inside aren't as necessary as you think now.
  • If you're a freewheeler (single person) cooking for one is the BEST reason for having a microwave. You make as much mess cooking one portion as four or six - and reheating leftovers or heating water for a single cuppa tea is what a microwave does best and fastest.
  • I've seen one mod where the user actually cut out the door of the overhead cabinet and put a microwave in it.... Worked beautifully short term, but I think the cabinet worked loose from the wall due to the extra weight after a long bumpy trip. Most convection microwaves are bigger and heavier than just microwaves, so bracing would be essential.
  • I'm not a big fan of cooking appliances that much above countertop height. A friend who is an E.M.T. told me that under cabinet coffee makers and microwaves may save space, but he's taken too many burn victims to the ER to want them in his house. He has kids that are 8 and 11 - their short stature makes those appliances especially hazardous. General safety rule - fuzzy blankets and clothing in the upper cabinets - anything that would concuss you, store it below eye level.
  • Spacious interior vs. storage capacity. Upper cabinets can give an airstream a closed in feeling. If you look at the 27' CCD bedroom with vs without the wrap around windows you'll get a good visual. There are two extra closets on the one with a single window - but just looking at the bed makes it appear closed in.
I also noticed "Missoula Montana" on your profile.. so if you're spending any part of the cooler 11 months there, you'll have to seriously think about indoor vs outdoor cooking. Happy trails whatever you choose.

Paula
Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Thank you for your responses Paula and Robert.

Paula, you brought up a few things I hadn't thought of about storing stuff above head level. Will definitely have to keep that in mind. Maybe I could anchor the microwave/convection overhead with extra supports though. After researching and finding out just how capable the convection oven is, I may be able to get by without a regular oven.

Lots and lots to think about...
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Here's a link to a thread I started when we had our old trailer. I had the roof locker modified at the factory service center to accomodate a microwave. Hope this helps you with some ideas.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Here's a link to a thread I started when we had our old trailer. I had the roof locker modified at the factory service center to accomodate a microwave. Hope this helps you with some ideas.
Hi, If you click onto Dennis's link you can see that the micro-wave shelf was attached on the right side by the existing overhead cabinet, But more importantly the left side was attached to a wall. [partition] The wall side would give the best support. It might also be attached to the interior wall for even more support; I could not see that in the pictures.

[Edit] After enlarging the pictures, I can now see that they did attach the shelf to the interior wall. Also I could see the outlet position.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
We just bought a super small toaster oven instead. It is light and can sit on top of the stove when in use if need be, but much of the time we cook outside so it plugs into an extension off the outside outlet. Something like $19 at bi-mart and works just fine. Super light, and heats up almost anything a micro would just a bit slower.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Outdoor Propane Oven

I was at an upscale camping store recently and saw an outdoor portable propane oven. Duh. Didn't know they even existed. Looked a lot like a metal sided beverage cooler.

Seemed like a semi-decent "boondocking" solution if you've got or prefer a convection microwave in your Airstream. Of course it would take room in the tow vehicle somewhere.

Did you ever notice there's a whole lot of stuff that is supposed to make life simpler, yet the more of it you get the less simple your life becomes?

Back to the Dutch oven and bag-o-charcoal... once the snow melts.

Paula